The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default New Stevie interview (The New York Times)

Stevie Nicks on Her Fleetwood Mac ‘Team,’ Solo Joys and the 2016 Election
ByPhoebe Reilly, Sept. 6, 2016

Stevie Nicks says that one of her favorite things to do is light a candle, sit at the desk in her Los Angeles home and write poetry. Ms. Nicks, the rock ’n’ roll mystic who constitutes one-fifth of Fleetwood Mac’s classic lineup and wrote several of its most beloved hits (including “Dreams” and “Rhiannon”), is so prolific that six years after joining that multiplatinum California band in 1975, she embarked on a solo career with “Bella Donna,” which featured the memorable centerpiece “Edge of Seventeen.”

“In the beginning, I actually sat down and said, listen, I am doing this because I have way too many songs,” Ms. Nicks said. “I get frustrated because one of you walks by me every time I sit at the piano and says: ‘Oh my God, there she goes writing another song. We only need three or four from you.’ So what am I supposed to do?”

Eight solo albums later, Ms. Nicks, 68, is preparing to go on the road in support of her most recent releases, “In Your Dreams,” from 2011, and the 2014 album “24 Karat Gold: Songs From the Vault,” a collection of tracks written mainly between 1969 and 1987. A 28-city tour with the Pretenders as special guests begins on Oct. 25 in Phoenix. “I just woke up one morning and said I have two years off before Fleetwood Mac comes knocking on my door [for another tour],” she said. “Why would I want to sit around and do nothing?”

Fleetwood Mac has endured despite drug addictions and multiple intra-band relationships (and breakups) during the late ’70s, and recently completed a two-and-a-half-year, 122-date tour. (“I don’t twirl nearly as much as I used to,” said Ms. Nicks, whose past relationship with the guitarist Lindsey Buckingham provided a dose of drama.) When reached by phone, she was struggling to whittle down her set list. Here are edited excerpts from the conversation.

What’s the difference between touring behind your solo work and touring with Fleetwood Mac?

Fleetwood Mac is a team, and when you’re on a team everybody has the same vote — except in this particular team Lindsey has a little bit of a stronger vote than anybody else. I love being part of a team. We argue all the time, but we always have. In my band, there is no arguing. I am the boss. My solo career is probably the reason Fleetwood Mac is still together in 2016, because I was always happy to leave Fleetwood Mac, and I was always happy to come back, too.

You have said you thought Lindsey would like “24 Karat Gold” because so many of the songs are about him. What was his reaction?

Well, I don’t know. I don’t even know if he ever listened to the record and, honestly, I don’t care. I gave up caring about how everybody else in Fleetwood Mac feels about my solo work a long time ago. It’s not their thing. If my feelings were ever hurt, it was after “Bella Donna,” when I didn’t feel that anybody even listened to it. That was in 1981.

The ’80s have once again become a point of fascination in television shows like “Stranger Things.” Are you ever nostalgic?

I wouldn’t want to ever go back there. Yes, it was a lot of fun between 1975 and 1990 — until it wasn’t. I walk onstage every night now and do a three-hour show with Fleetwood Mac, and I have a great time up there. I wish I had known that I actually had the energy to do this entire set totally sober and get just as excited. On one hand, that makes me feel great and on the other it makes me sad that I ever did my first line of coke.

Your songs never lost the rawness associated with youthful emotion. Do you find that inspiration comes from your everyday life now, or is your imagination triggered by re-examining the past?

I would say both. Great stories inspire me. Some people have the ability to be extremely convincing, and other people can sing for 30 years and not convince you that they have lived a story. At 16 I could sing a love song well. My dad would go, “That’s a good song, honey.” And my mom would go, “That’s just beautiful, Stevie.” And they would be thinking, “We know for a fact that she’s only been on one date and she was back in two hours.”

“Don’t Stop” was the theme song of Bill Clinton’s campaign. What are your hopes for this election?

Of course I’m for Hillary Clinton. It’s hard to think of anything as amazing as that song was for Bill. He picked it out when he was driving around in a cab somewhere years before. When she wins by a landslide, I could gather together the Dixie Chicks, Billy Corgan and everybody who’s ever sung a version of “Landslide.” It’s not up-tempo, but it certainly would get the message across.

Are you a fan of Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga or any other major contemporary female artist?

I have so many favorites. I love Katy Perry. [And] I’m so happy for Adele right now. She’ll do what I did — she’ll figure out a way to stay in the business. The big difference between her and me is that she has a child, and that will change things for her, but I think Adele knows what she wants and I don’t think she’s in a hurry. And that’s great. If she needs to go away for three years, she doesn’t feel like somebody’s going to take her place. When you believe in yourself that much, you can take as long as you want.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/06/ar...view.html?_r=1

Crystallineknowledge
Dedicated to Stevie.

Last edited by Danielle; 09-06-2016 at 02:48 AM..
Old 09-06-2016, 05:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Default Stevie talks solo work and 2016 election

delete
---

Last edited by Macfan4life; 09-06-2016 at 05:09 AM..
Old 09-06-2016, 05:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

She seems bitter that the Mac does not rave about her solo work. She needs reminded the Mac lets her play solo work in their concerts. I also would bet the house that she has NEVER listened to Lindsey's and Christine's solo albums so why be bitter if you think they have not listened to yours.

Remember the fananatic interview from 1998? Stevie was thrown for a loop asking a favorite song of Lindsey's. She could not even name one and the girl had to help her out.

FM band members have played Leather and Lace, Stand Back, and HAWFY live in concert. For them to play these songs, the would have had to listen to them to learn how to play.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 09-06-2016 at 09:01 AM..
Old 09-06-2016, 05:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs down

She hasn't released a NEW solo song in 5 years or a new Mac song in 13, but still brags about being prolific? Got it.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:28 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
She hasn't released a NEW solo song in 5 years or a new Mac song in 13, but still brags about being prolific? Got it.

Who's idea was it to book an arena tour ?

I think some one should tell her Adele has it all figured out and is doing ok and has manged to sell a few records keep ticket prices relatively fair and in the hands of her fans
Old 09-06-2016, 08:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I see it didn't take long for the haters to show up...If your not happy with what she's doing "Oh Well"...And if FM feels the same they can always do something without her...

24K was on album of OLD forgotten songs NOT new ones! Just because she has not put out any "new" songs in the past few years does not mean she's not writing new ones...
Let's see 2013 she spent touring with FM, 2014 she spent working on 24K and touring with FM and 2015 touring with FM so she's been busy...A new album may be in the works but she may just not be ready to say anything about it yet...

As far as FM goes LB made his bed and it looks like Stevie is making him sleep in it...

Looks like Stevie is ca$hing in on FM's recent surge in popularity...If she can play stadiums then good for her...
Old 09-06-2016, 08:58 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
I see it didn't take long for the haters to show up...If your not happy with what she's doing "Oh Well"...And if FM feels the same they can always do something without her...
why is i if someones opinion is different than yours they are haters ( stupid childish word to begin with ) , it is meant to open discussions and conversations not everyone thinks the same or has to agree that's what makes us unique and interesting
Old 09-06-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
why is i if someones opinion is different than yours they are haters ( stupid childish word to begin with ) , it is meant to open discussions and conversations not everyone thinks the same or has to agree that's what makes us unique and interesting
That sounds like a motivational spot.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:24 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
That sounds like a motivational spot.
Please purchase my Book and DVDs on the way out
Old 09-06-2016, 10:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
Who's idea was it to book an arena tour ?

I think some one should tell her Adele has it all figured out and is doing ok and has manged to sell a few records keep ticket prices relatively fair and in the hands of her fans
WORD!!

Kevin
Old 09-06-2016, 11:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So if FM isn't supposed to come knocking for 2 more years, can we take that as confirmation that they'll finally finish the MIA "new" album by late 2018/early 2019...?
Old 09-06-2016, 11:23 AM
Registered

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
So if FM isn't supposed to come knocking for 2 more years, can we take that as confirmation that they'll finally finish the MIA "new" album by late 2018/early 2019...?
were all going to be Old by then
Old 09-06-2016, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's awesome she continues to be a mentor for new and up-and-coming female artists. This seems to be her reputation/legacy within the music business.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:43 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
I took that as her saying "I'm not doing anything... Including working on the FM album... so Imma do me and go on a solo tour!"
Old 09-06-2016, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If this is the case then the next FM tour could start a year later than Mick's late 2017 prediction...