The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   The Early Years (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Coming Your Way (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=8314)

chiliD 01-29-2003 02:01 PM

Coming Your Way

After just getting through listening to the live version of "Coming Your Way" from the Showbiz Blues set, I think that it would be cool for Fleetwood Mac to add this to their upcoming tour set...it would be a BETTER vehicle for a Mick Fleetwood drum solo than either "World Turning" or "Not That Funny"....plus it would give Lindsey some room to stretch out, too.

Mac Fan 01-29-2003 02:04 PM

Could be quite good/interesting.
Sofie

wondergirl9847 01-30-2003 01:34 AM

AGREED!

ITA, I love that song like nobody's business and I think Danny and Lindsey are very similar in their sound anyways. :nod: I pray to GOD that Mick doesn't do the "vesturbation" on this tour!! :laugh:

becca 01-30-2003 02:23 AM

That is a good song but I can't see/hear Lindsey Buckingham singing that. Christine I could see singing it, maybe it's the accent. Did Lindsey ever perform it in the past? I don't think they are very similar myself. Danny is more like chiming bells or plucking things from the air and Buckingham is more funk and quirky surprises. Danny was surprising, but I wouldn't say quite as quirky as I would slippery maybe, like Barry Gibb lyrics kind of.

Denmeister99 02-06-2003 02:21 AM

It's like movies, the remake is only good if
you've never seen the original.

The same here, "Coming Your Way" by the current
FM would only sound good to someone who hasn't
heard the orginal version.

As an example, look at the Buckingham live version of
"Oh Well" and compare it the Green live version.

The Green FM version is clearly superior, and
Buckingham's version suffers by comparison.
Granted, Buckingham fans would
probably prefer it for the reason above.

chiliD 02-06-2003 02:40 AM

Not necessarily...

though I prefer the original studio version of "Oh Well" by Peter & the gang by a longshot over all other versions...when it comes to LIVE versions, I actually prefer the 1987 version by Billy Burnette & Rick Vito as released on the B-side of FMac's "As Long As You Follow" single over any live version I've heard with Peter Green.

But, considering Peter Green hasn't been a member of Fleetwood Mac since 1970, and Danny Kirwan since 1972, if I want to hear Fleetwood Mac TODAY play a song from Then Play On, it would obviously have to be played by Lindsey Buckingham. Chances are, I might LIKE the new take of the song by the current incarnation. Of all the pre-1975 material I've heard the "Rumours" incarnation play, "Oh Well" was by far the weakest...yet, Lindsey's versions of Danny Kirwan's tunes sounded like they were his own ("Station Man", "Tell Me All The Things You Do", "Sunny Side Of Heaven") So, after hearing the live version of "Coming Your Way" on the Showbiz Blues CD, it just hit me that I COULD hear Buckingham playing & singing it in a way that would be pleasing to my ears...actually, it was Mick's drumming then vs how he plays NOW that really intrigued me as to how CYW would possibly sound today.

Denmeister99 02-06-2003 02:52 AM

yadda, yadda, yadda,

maybe so, but to me it's really a different band,

different strokes for different folks, I guess

Doctor Brown 02-06-2003 12:25 PM

I think that it would be cool to hear Mick play that drum part now, and Lindsey could probably do a good job on it. I would rather that, than some of the stuff I know that I'm gonna' hear.

Doc