The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mirage Sessions (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=60154)

BLY 11-16-2023 09:24 PM

Mirage Sessions

I was listening to the alternative disc from the Mirage disc today. If they used the Eyes of the World and Empire States and If You Were My Love tracks this would have sounded very much like a Tusk 2. Wish You Were Here is also much edgier. Smile at You also replacing That’s Alright would have really given it a different vibe.

Villavic 11-17-2023 09:12 AM

I would have included Cool Water instead of Empire State, but with a different version, more Mac, different harmonies.

Mirage, according to Mick, was an attempt to get into the Rumours groove again, but updated. I'm not sure if they achieved that, but on the other hand I don't know if the band would agree to record a "Tusk 2" album. I don't think it would be better welcomed by people.

jbrownsjr 11-17-2023 09:13 AM

I do like that version of WYWH.

BLY 11-17-2023 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1289986)

Mirage, according to Mick, was an attempt to get into the Rumours groove again, but updated. I'm not sure if they achieved that, but on the other hand I don't know if the band would agree to record a "Tusk 2" album. I don't think it would be better welcomed by people.

Stevie and Christine’s songs were much more like the Rumours groove but not Lindsey’s.

WalkAThinLine. 11-17-2023 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1290014)
Stevie and Christine’s songs were much more like the Rumours groove but not Lindsey’s.

Several of Buckingham's songs on Mirage still possessed a new wave tinge. "Empire State" and "Eyes of the World" wouldn't have been out of place on Tusk.

bwboy 11-17-2023 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1290014)

Interesting you should say that, because Eyes of the World sounds a lot like Second Hand News to me. But otherwise, I agree with you, because Empire State and Oh Diane have little of the quality of any of Lindsey’s songs on Rumours.

Villavic 11-18-2023 08:28 AM

Some Lindsey's songs, among final and alternative versions, reminds me the Law & Order sound.

BLY 11-18-2023 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1290030)
Some Lindsey's songs, among final and alternative versions, reminds me the Law & Order sound.

AGREE! The songs from Law and Order and Mirage were very much the same vibe in many ways. Trouble could have been the first single off of Mirage. It would have given each singer a hit single.

FuzzyPlum 11-19-2023 05:45 PM

I’ve just noticed how short stevies contribution to mirage is. She normally has less songs than Christine and Lindsey, but the usual argument is that her songs are so long that she ends up having more disc time than the others even though she has less songs.
This is not the case for mirage. The split is LB 5, CM 4, SN 3.
However, stevies songs are pretty short by her standards. The others have the equivalent of a whole song more in terms of time.
Mirage May have been a better album had they swapped out a Lindsey song for an extra Stevie song.

DownOnRodeo 11-19-2023 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1290059)
Mirage May have been a better album had they swapped out a Lindsey song for an extra Stevie song.

Or Mirage may have been a better album if Stevie hadn't set the precedent of splitting her material across solo and FM albums.

WalkAThinLine. 11-19-2023 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1290059)
I’ve just noticed how short stevies contribution to mirage is. She normally has less songs than Christine and Lindsey, but the usual argument is that her songs are so long that she ends up having more disc time than the others even though she has less songs.
This is not the case for mirage. The split is LB 5, CM 4, SN 3.
However, stevies songs are pretty short by her standards. The others have the equivalent of a whole song more in terms of time.

Replace "Oh Diane" with either "If You Were My Love" or "Smile at You", and you have a far better album.

Villavic 11-19-2023 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. (Post 1290061)
Replace "Oh Diane" with either "If You Were My Love" or "Smile at You", and you have a far better album.

I would have replaced Empire State instead.

But it would be interesting if she had saved one of Bella Donna songs for Mirage. I'd choose Leather and Lace.

HomerMcvie 11-19-2023 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1290062)
I would have replaced Empire State instead.

But it would be interesting if she had saved one of Bella Donna songs for Mirage. I'd choose Leather and Lace.

:mad:
I LOVE Empire State.

BLY 11-19-2023 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1290063)
I LOVE Empire State.

I also love Empire State.

Straightback 11-20-2023 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1290063)
I LOVE Empire State.

I've always been a fan of Empire State as well.
If You Were My Love--then, and on 24 Karat Gold--never did anything for me, but that's me.
Smile At You, however, I agree would have been a solid contribution.

Sadly, a lot of Stevie's "demos" that were relegated to the vault because they weren't deemed worthy enough to be released commercially ended up, ironically, devolving into something far less superior when they finally ended up seeing the light of day. I wish she would just take account of what's been buried, acknowledge them as the gems they are AS THEY ARE, have them cleaned up and released properly. No more caterwauling "Songs From the Vaults" versions.