The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Lindsey Buckingham album is here (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59349)

jmn3 09-22-2021 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1269790)
But I am noticing that his productions have a lot of back to back duds, going back to SYW, with Silver Girl and RTTG. That sequence caused 3 reported comas. And I believe Lindsey did the sequencing while everyone else was in Hawaii and it was such bad sequencing that he deserved to get fired from the band, 15 years later. Then with BM, we had the back to back snooze of On with the Show and Carnival Begin. Although there, since both songs came at the end you could just in the album after Game of Pretend and it would be fine.

I love Running Through the Garden! And OWTS and CB are two of my favorites off that album! Now, where we can agree, whoever decided Silver Girl got beyond a rough demo should have been shot out of a cannon into the sun. That has to be one of the worst piles of trash that ever was released under the Fleetwood Mac name.

tango87 09-22-2021 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo (Post 1269803)

It almost feels a violation to listen to one song in isolation rather than in the context of the whole album.

I also heartily agree with this! It’s such a complete experience, a true album.

The Chain 09-23-2021 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinker12 (Post 1269780)
I like the album a lot. The two I skip are “Blind Love” and “Time” - nice that they’re right together!

I was waiting for somebody else to express this sentiment..
I don’t dislike those songs, and I really do love the album as a whole, but like I always do, especially with a band as frustrating as late-career Fleetwood Mac, or in this case solo Lindsey, I like to make my own fantasy playlists, throw in those “missed opportunity” songs that I really feel should have been represented on an album.. I replaced Blind Love with Ride This Road, took out Time, and put Hunger between Santa Rosa and Dancing, a much needed little pep-step up at the end for me!

blinker12 09-24-2021 07:00 AM

^ Oh I love “Hunger”! Great idea.

TrueFaith77 09-24-2021 11:25 AM

Blind Love is my favorite!

jwd 09-27-2021 05:02 PM

I can't stop listening. I think it's fantastic. Might possibly be my favorite of his.

soul_drifter333 09-27-2021 06:15 PM

I'm loving the new CD. In the past I would buy the newest album on it's release date and play it until I couldn't listen to it any more, so I'm taking it slower on this one. Who knows how long it will be before we get something else new. The great thing about Lindsey's production is that there are so many layers you have to listen to it many times to hear all the different parts. I've had Santa Rosa stuck in my head for days!

BLY 09-27-2021 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soul_drifter333 (Post 1269956)
I'm loving the new CD. In the past I would buy the newest album on it's release date and play it until I couldn't listen to it any more, so I'm taking it slower on this one. Who knows how long it will be before we get something else new. The great thing about Lindsey's production is that there are so many layers you have to listen to it many times to hear all the different parts. I've had Santa Rosa stuck in my head for days!

Yes I agree. Every time I listen to it I pick something else I didn’t hear before. This really is a gem and like the BuckMcVie album limiting it to 10 tracks is a good call.

sue 09-28-2021 04:05 AM

Ken Bruce Radio 2…just played, “I’m on the wrong side “.
saying that this song was from Lindsey Buckingham’s new Album..
good plug for the Album as Ken is very popular. ( in the UK)
And …I’m on the wrong side …is on Radio2’s playlist….so lots of plays for it.

soul_drifter333 09-28-2021 06:18 PM

NEW PODCAST EPISODE

Lindsey Buckingham: Going His Own Way
Broken Record

https://open.spotify.com/episode/7e4DqzjQeFL4oFeye7ZkwL

FuzzyPlum 10-09-2021 12:14 PM

Late to the party...only got this album a couple of days ago.
I love this collection...most of it.
On The Wrong Side, Scream and Blue Light are my favourites.
I Don't Mind, Santa Rosa and Blind Love are good.
Swan Song is quirky.
Not yet sure about Power Down.
Not loving Time or Dancing. Indeed, Time sucks balls. If he's going to play somebody else's song....why go for that dirge?
The intro to Scream sounds straight from Sad Angel.

Where does this rank amongst all his solo records??? hmm?

UnwindedDreams 10-09-2021 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1270106)
Time sucks balls

Good for Time!

michelej1 10-10-2021 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1270106)
Not loving Time or Dancing. Indeed, Time sucks balls. If he's going to play somebody else's song....why go for that dirge?
The intro to Scream sounds straight from Sad Angel.

Where does this rank amongst all his solo records??? hmm?

I agree about Time. I don’t even know what his problem is.

cbBen 01-14-2023 02:12 AM

I'm pleasantly surprised how little electric guitar the new album has. I hear just 3-4 songs with it. Does "Power Down" have it? "Dancing" "On The Wrong Side" and "Swan Song" do. And I hear just two songs with electric guitar solos (the latter two).

In fact, there is arguably just one other song with a guitar solo at all: "Blind Love," which contains a repeated acoustic figure over which Lindsey does some wordless singing (arguably a solo, arguably not).

I'm stunned he didn't release "Santa Rosa" as the lead single. To my ear, it's a classic and far and away the best song on the album – second best being "Dancing," which I also enjoyed in its previous incarnation "Treason."

I'll also say I find wholly unlistenable "Scream" – with its bell sound so tortuous it warrants a firing squad.

my current ranking of his solo albums:

1. Out Of The Cradle (fantastic songwriting, marred only by some poor use of drum machine that I chalk up either to Lindsey improving at the craft by the 2000's, his abandoning it by then in favor of hand percussion, or the technology greatly improving)
2. Under The Skin (my kind of album)
3. Gift Of Screws ("Wait For You" should have gone on SYW or at the very least on Solo Anthology)
4. Seeds We Sow
5. Lindsey Buckingham
6. Law And Order – The two best songs–"Trouble" and "Shadow Of the West"–are great, but start-to-finish I rank the new album higher.
7. Go Insane – Again "Slow Dancing" and arguably the title track are stadnouts (though the live acoustic "Go Insane" draws the greatness of even that one into question), but the remainder IMO is awful.

WalkAThinLine. 01-15-2023 04:06 PM

If he substituted "Blind Love" for "Hunger and "Dancing" for "Ride This Road", and I would have enjoyed the album even more. Apparently his record label wanted new material on the Anthology album, so he selected "Hunger" and "Ride This Road" to fulfill that requirement. Given the album's relatively short run-time, I'm curious if the two aforementioned songs were originally intended for his eponymous release.