The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Then Play On better than Tusk? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=60167)

Villavic 11-29-2023 11:40 AM

Then Play On better than Tusk?

I’m not so fan of the very early years Fleetwood Mac music. So finding this best album list in a Mojo article (Fleetwood Mac’s and related bands’ albums) where Then Play On is at #2, and Tusk at #3 position, it’s kind of a surprise to me. I can't question it because I haven't listened or analyzed TPO enough. But what do you think?

10. Lindsey Buckingham Christine McVie
9. Buckingham Nicks
8. Bare Trees
7. Tango in The Night
6. Future Games
5. Fleetwood Mac (1975)
4. Fleetwood Mac (1968)
3. Tusk
2. Then Play On
1. Rumours

https://www.mojo4music.com/articles/...albums-ranked/

Macfan4life 11-29-2023 12:19 PM

Everyone has their different rankings. Its what makes us unique. Catch me on a day and I will tell you Mystery To Me is better than Rumours. Then another day Heroes is better than Mystery To me.

David 11-29-2023 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1290179)
I’m not so fan of the very early years Fleetwood Mac music. So finding this best album list in a Mojo article (Fleetwood Mac’s and related bands’ albums) where Then Play On is at #2, and Tusk at #3 position, it’s kind of a surprise to me. I can't question it because I haven't listened or analyzed TPO enough. But what do you think?

I’m not sold it’s better than Tusk, but English Rose might be. Then again, they’re so unlike, with completely different musical concerns. I think English Rose (an import here in the US) is one of the greatest albums of all time.

WalkAThinLine. 11-29-2023 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1290179)

10. Lindsey Buckingham Christine McVie
9. Buckingham Nicks
8. Bare Trees
7. Tango in The Night
6. Future Games
5. Fleetwood Mac (1975)
4. Fleetwood Mac (1968)
3. Tusk
2. Then Play On
1. Rumours

https://www.mojo4music.com/articles/...albums-ranked/

It's not a completely bold decision to place Then Play On that high. Mick Fleetwood has listed Then Play On and Tusk as his two favorite Fleetwood Mac albums. Personally, I would probably go with Tusk over Then Play On, although I would still rank Then Play On within the top half when accounting for all of their studio albums.

jbrownsjr 11-30-2023 08:36 AM

My rankings change often. But, THEN can rise above Tusk in my rankings (sometimes).

It's a moving target.

Mr Scarrott 11-30-2023 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1290183)
I’m not sold it’s better than Tusk, but English Rose might be. Then again, they’re so unlike, with completely different musical concerns. I think English Rose (an import here in the US) is one of the greatest albums of all time.

English Rose is really a compliation album, though. Half of Mr Wonderful, bits of Then Play On, two or three singles and Danny's Something inside of me.

So it's not really an apples-to-apples comparison to other albums. Having said that , Then Play On is an apple to the orange of Tusk.

jbrownsjr 11-30-2023 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott (Post 1290217)
English Rose is really a compliation album, though. Half of Mr Wonderful, bits of Then Play On, two or three singles and Danny's Something inside of me.

So it's not really an apples-to-apples comparison to other albums. Having said that , Then Play On is an apple to the orange of Tusk.

Behind the Mask is a banana. Say You Will is a lemon. Rumours is a Golden Apple. Mirage is a purple carrot. Tango is a Sweet Honey Dew. White Album is a Pineapple.

Mr Scarrott 11-30-2023 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1290218)
Behind the Mask is a banana. Say You Will is a lemon. Rumours is a Golden Apple. Mirage is a purple carrot. Tango is a Sweet Honey Dew. White Album is a Pineapple.

Behind the Mask is a more of a raspberry.

jbrownsjr 11-30-2023 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott (Post 1290219)

A black raspberry!

aleuzzi 11-30-2023 03:35 PM

They're so different, essentially different bands, too.

But they do have some weird things in common. Both are considered intentional departures from the band's celebrated "winning" formula. For TPO it was leaving a lot of the 12-bar blues behind to explore west-coast folk and acid jams. For Tusk, it was about "sound painting" and deconstructing the limits of slick production. Both exploit fragmentation as an aesthetic. I listen to Tusk far more frequently but think TPO is probably the better record.

Both got mixed reviews at the time. Both are considered classics now.

aleuzzi 11-30-2023 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott (Post 1290219)

Damn, it is so embarrassing. Sounds so bloated and sad.

aleuzzi 11-30-2023 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1290183)

I agree that English Rose is one of the best in the band's catalogue--compilation or not.

Villavic 11-30-2023 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1290218)

Rumours is the goose that laid the golden eggs. Ask Mick if you don't believe it.

jbrownsjr 11-30-2023 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1290224)
Damn, it is so embarrassing. Sounds so bloated and sad.

and when we do, I think about you... how can we fail? :xoxo: