The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Possible buyer's remorse? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=45357)

Lee 12-14-2010 11:33 AM

Possible buyer's remorse?

Well, maybe I have buyer's remorse & I don't have my new camera yet. My little, pink Pentax point & shoot digital camera is done I guess & I've only had it three years. The on/off button is stuck & it won't turn on. So decided to order this camera, a Canon PowerShot SX130IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 12x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom with 3.0-Inch LCD. I read some of the reviews & they were good, but then today I read some that say @ concerts, it just doesn't cut it. The flash takes long to charge between pics & not good in low lighting.:shrug: I don't know; I've never owned a Canon camera. Anyone else own a Canon or this particular model?

Lee :shrug:

mylittledemon 12-14-2010 01:24 PM

I have owned two Canon powershots in the last 6 years and I love them. I upgraded not because it crapped out on me, I just wanted a superior model. I don't know if buying a camera to get pics at concerts is the best idea though... I mean, unless you have special privileges. You can't control the lighting, and you can't control whats going on around you (ie. drunk cowgirls :laugh:) I guess it's just a matter of you trying the camera out yourself and seeing the pics in different situations. ;)

HejiraNYC 12-14-2010 04:02 PM

I've been using the same Canon Elph (SD600) forever and it just refuses to die. It's been all around the world with me and I've dropped it a gazillion times, yet it keeps on ticking. It's an overall great point-and-shoot, but concert photography without a flash is not good. I tried a newer Canon Elph last year and it was even worse! Through trial and error, I learned that one must trick the light sensor to prevent washout. I think it would be better to try finding a point-and-shoot camera that gives you lots of manual settings; these Canon Elph models don't offer many manual options.

ButterCookie 12-14-2010 04:35 PM

I am a Nikon kid but I've never had a problem with a Canon and I've been going out shooting for almost 2 years or so, now. When buying cameras, my best advice is to try them out. It's like buying... a wand? The wand choses the wizard and I believe the camera chooses the photographer :lol:

GypsySorcerer 12-14-2010 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterCookie (Post 927407)
I am a Nikon kid but I've never had a problem with a Canon and I've been going out shooting for almost 2 years or so, now. When buying cameras, my best advice is to try them out. It's like buying... a wand? The wand choses the wizard and I believe the camera chooses the photographer :lol:

I love random Harry Potter references! :D

Lee 12-15-2010 10:47 AM

My first digital camera was/is a Nikon. I still have it. It has a small screen, view finder & 3X zoom. It was starting to make a grinding noise. I thought it was getting ready to go, so I got the Pentax. It had a better zoom 5X, but it's not working now. I've kind of lost faith in Pentax. My first film camera was a Pentax, had it for years & gave it to my brother since he was really into photography. I don't buy a camera just to take pics @ concerts. (I only went to one concert last year.) And I take all kinds of pics, family, my dog, scenic, etc. I just got the Canon yesterday. It's bigger than a typical point & shoot & looks like a DSLR. I got it right out of the box & used it right away. It has great zoom on it. I took pics of my dog & husband (in that order :laugh:) & I didn't even need the flash in the house which I normal need. The pics were good. Most digital cameras work the same; a few have more bells & whistles on them than others. This one will take me awhile to get use to all the settings & different modes, but in general I like it. We will see how it does @ concerts & of course that depends on where I'm sitting. :nod:

Lee

ButterCookie 12-15-2010 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee (Post 927533)
I just got the Canon yesterday. It's bigger than a typical point & shoot & looks like a DSLR.

It's a bridge isn't it? I've heard people call them 'super zoom's', too. Does it have super macro on, too?

Lee 12-15-2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterCookie (Post 927540)
It's a bridge isn't it? I've heard people call them 'super zoom's', too. Does it have super macro on, too?

I believe so, but I'm not familiar yet with everything. It does have " 28 predefined shooting situations." Yeah, it'll take me forever to go over them. I'll probably have to print out the full manual.

Lee :)