The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   The Early Years (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Mystery to Me considered among the "worst" album covers (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=42785)

aleuzzi 01-20-2010 12:55 AM

Mystery to Me considered among the "worst" album covers

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...GYWDlgeVr7H8Aw

Almost Simon 01-20-2010 05:41 AM

It's a weird cover but I kinda like it.

chriskisn 01-20-2010 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almost Simon (Post 866262)
It's a weird cover but I kinda like it.

Ditto

(damn this 10 character limit, I don't have anything else to say)

absinthe_boy 01-20-2010 07:03 AM

I've always liked the cover for Mystery for Me.

nicepace 01-20-2010 07:12 AM

LOL!!!!! I agree with this article 100%. I absolutely HATE the cover of 'Mystery to Me.' And ... (of course) ... I absolutely LOVE the album.

In fact, if one invented some weird mathematical scale for quality of the music vs. quality of the cover, 'MTM' would have the highest ratio of any record in my collection.

Almost Simon 01-20-2010 08:28 AM

I would imagine Heroes Are Hard To Find would be considered a worse cover, and I don't mind that one either.

But Mick and his daughter, both near naked. Kind of okay back then but wouldn't really fit in this modern day, PC world.

holidayroad 01-20-2010 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almost Simon (Post 866275)
I would imagine Heroes Are Hard To Find would be considered a worse cover, and I don't mind that one either.

But Mick and his daughter, both near naked. Kind of okay back then but wouldn't really fit in this modern day, PC world.

I bought Heroes Are Hard To Find in 1990. I was still living at home (16 years old). My mom about freaked when she saw that cover. I took out the record and hid the cover for awhile. Thankfully, she forgot about it!

As for the cover to Mystery To Me. The first time I saw it, (1989) this girl in my gym class had brought it to school to draw in art class. I thought it looked like some weird thing someone would see in a dream and then draw it when they awakened. I am glad for the cover though. If it had not been so different, that girl may have never brought it to school and I wouldn't have found out where she purchased it! :)

Gypsycat999 01-20-2010 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holidayroad (Post 866277)
I bought Heroes Are Hard To Find in 1990. I was still living at home (16 years old). My mom about freaked when she saw that cover. I took out the record and hid the cover for awhile. Thankfully, she forgot about it!

I'm 15 and I bought Heroes are hard to find some weeks ago as a late Christmast present. My father just looked at it and said "This Fleetwood guy has always been crazy." :laugh:

About Mystery to me, I personally have always loved the cover and I thought it's so strange that you just have to like it somehow. It has this special something. But there are different opinions about everything. :shrug:

chiliD 01-20-2010 01:08 PM

I dunno....I'd name either Mr Wonderful or English Rose as worse than MTM. The 1988 Greatest Hits is pretty dull cover, too.

Mystery To Me is pretty iconic as an album cover, even it IS considered "one of the worst".

I remember seeing Then Play On, Bare Trees and Mystery To Me covers everywhere.

Aren't those three albums in the main character's collection in the movie Almost Famous? I definitely remember the Then Play On cover.

dino 01-20-2010 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD (Post 866316)
I dunno....I'd name either Mr Wonderful or English Rose as worse than MTM. The 1988 Greatest Hits is pretty dull cover, too.

Mystery To Me is pretty iconic as an album cover, even it IS considered "one of the worst".

I remember seeing Then Play On, Bare Trees and Mystery To Me covers everywhere.

Aren't those three albums in the main character's collection in the movie Almost Famous? I definitely remember the Then Play On cover.

Haha, the "Mr Wonderful" cover you could scare small children with :thumbsup:.
I like it 'cause it shows what a crazy band they were in those days...

aleuzzi 01-20-2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almost Simon (Post 866275)

I agree. This is the one Mac album that I can't bear to look at. I actually like the look of the Mr. Wonderful and English Rose covers: they make sense given Mac's then ribald antics. But by the time Heroes came out the band had opted for a more serious, professional attitude to music making.

The group photo on the back of Heros is great. But that front cover...ugh.

WithoutYou 01-20-2010 11:37 PM

I love English rose cover!

goldustsongbird 01-20-2010 11:50 PM

omg, the Aberfeldy cover. :laugh:

Not to say that I hate it, but the cover for Penguin always looked like a biker's jacket decal. Or something you'd find on the side of an arcade game. The Greatest Hits cover is stupid.