The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Post-Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Terrific instrumental cover of Paper Doll (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=60138)

vermicious knid 11-04-2023 07:25 AM

Terrific instrumental cover of Paper Doll

I can't stop listening to this! At this point I can't even listen to the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rogAjgxQ4uo

Check out the other songs on that channel. They have a whole tribute album done in a country style, mostly instrumentals. And the number of views is miniscule! They deserve to be heard.

Another favorite of mine is the great cover of Skies the Limit that I like more than the original.

sleepless child 11-04-2023 07:57 AM

This is pretty darn good. Such an obscure Fleetwood mac song too.

BigAl84 11-07-2023 09:10 AM

Folks rag on that song, but I've always liked it. I'll always be curious what Lindsey could have added to it.

SteveMacD 11-13-2023 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1289702)
Folks rag on that song, but I've always liked it. I'll always be curious what Lindsey could have added to it.

I actually think Lindsey and Richard recut most of the instruments, since it sounds a lot closer to a SYW production than a GH/BTM production.

WalkAThinLine. 11-13-2023 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1289702)

He apparently contributed both vocals and some guitar work. He can be heard singing the word "else" on the left channel during the chorus.

BigAl84 11-14-2023 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. (Post 1289878)
He apparently contributed both vocals and some guitar work. He can be heard singing the word "else" on the left channel during the chorus.

Well crap! that would explain why for the past 30 years I've always thought "gee I could swear that sounds like Lindsey's vocals in the mix" and "some of those guitar parts are the closest thing to Lindsey's playing that this lineup has ever done"

How did I not know this!?

Villavic 11-14-2023 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. (Post 1289878)

Yes he contributed in Paper Doll, such as in the Behind the Mask song (acoustic guitar).

But It would be interesting to know the story behind those contributions. It was 3 years after he left the band when they released Behind the Mask. And though Mick told in his book they became friends again with Lindsey (he mentions Lindsey came to his wedding (with Sara) in 1988, I don't know how much he wanted to collaborate/record with the band again. It was a Christine song so maybe it was easier, but collaborating in a Stevie's song in 1992, or 1988 since Wikipedia mentions the song was supposed to be included in the GH album, sounds more difficult than collaborating with Christine.

moon 11-23-2023 10:28 PM

Terrific? Haha come on, give them some credit!! Sounds good...
All of them sound like a MIDI version of the originals, they did a good one with Hollywood!

aleuzzi 11-26-2023 11:34 AM

I have tried to appreciate Paper Doll and Skies—but I just can’t muster any enthusiasm for either of them.

jbrownsjr 11-27-2023 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1290132)
I have tried to appreciate Paper Doll and Skies—but I just can’t muster any enthusiasm for either of them.

I love Skies, the melody is so beautiful. I just don't like the cheesy keys.

SteveMacD 12-07-2023 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1290132)

It was so bad, I laughed hysterically when I first heard it.