The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Lindsey on "Walls" by Tom Petty (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=10254)

BlueGrass 05-30-2003 10:43 AM

Lindsey on "Walls" by Tom Petty

I just heard this song and it's really catchy, like i've heard it before a thousand times but I can't git sick of it.

Anyone know anything about it? You can hear Lindsey clearly in the background, but does he play on it too?

CarneVaca 05-30-2003 01:18 PM

He just sings.

shackin'up 05-31-2003 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by CarneVaca
He just sings.
That's true and not true, Carne ;) . I agree on the fact that he doesn't play the guitar, but just sings. But hey, he's not "just singing" in this case, but imo he's doing some of his best backingvocals ever!!!:cool:

gerald

buckmacnicks 05-31-2003 03:40 PM

My thoughts exactly, Walls gets lifted to a higher level thanks to Lindsey´s superb backing vocals on this song. It´s my favourite Tom Petty song apart from his 3 duets with Stevie and his song The Waiting (which in fact was also superbly covered by Linda Ronstadt in 1995). Walls has such a sunny feel and catchy chorus, you really hear a lot of the Beach Boys influence in this song. Of course Lindsey is a huge fan of them since he covered The Farmer´s Daughter with Mac back in 1980, a lovely song which in my opinion was inexplicably left out of The Very Best Of cd (same goes for Fireflies, a sadly missed opportunity!).

Marcel.

BlueGrass 05-31-2003 10:34 PM

I don't seem to hear Lindsey though on "Asshole" and "Climb That Hill" for some reason.

seteca 06-02-2003 01:58 PM

Re: Lindsey on "Walls" by Tom Petty

Quote:

Originally posted by BlueGrass
I just heard this song and it's really catchy, like i've heard it before a thousand times but I can't git sick of it.

Anyone know anything about it? You can hear Lindsey clearly in the background, but does he play on it too?

I just listened to it now for the first time...great song!:nod: Thanks for posting about it!

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

Tusky 06-02-2003 06:11 PM

I LOVE this song
"You got a heart so big/It could crush down walls..." and Lindsey just adds that special "Je ne said Wilson" to the whole she bang.
It actually reminds me of "WTWCT" :)

Janet 06-15-2003 02:23 AM

I definitely hear him in ASSHOLE which I love as well.

Someone very nice sent me that cd and it was stolen from my car with 30 other cd's ( never fully replenished that collection:( so I haven't heard those songs in a WHILE but great songs! Walls is wonderful and you can totally hear Lindsey alot.

BlueGrass 06-15-2003 10:48 AM

Is Lindsey humming in the background for "Asshole?" I can't really pick him out.

Mari 06-16-2003 05:52 AM

Lindsey also sings on Tom Petty's latest cd , at least at one song: The Man Who Loves Women. I downloaded that one, it's a great song. Don't know if he did more work on the cd, I think there's more info about it on Burnish.net.

She's The One is one of my favorite Petty-albums. Also has some wonderful vocals on a song by one of the Beachboys, I think it was (the late) Carl Wilson?