View Single Post
Old 06-30-2003, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: No

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
I don't believe he's running out of ideas. Stevie recycles phrases and entire verses (Destiny Rules/Illume on SYW!!) so he just does the opposite and recycles (or flubs with) his music.

I think it's a thread that he and Stevie use to "bind" together their songs.....hey, whatever, I love it!!
I agree with you. None of this kind of thing is new. Artists have been doing since the beginning I think. It's called "allusion," the artist is alluding to another work (whether it be his/her own or that of another artist) in order to shorthandedly elaborate or to illustrate the message he/she is conveying. I've heard it in classical music, popular music (a great example aside from FM is Annie Lennox's "Seventeen Again" in which she alludes to "Sweet Dreams"), read it in poetry and literature. It's naive to think that the artist is not conscious of the fact that he's doing it--especially if he/she is alluding to a work of his own. When Lindsey sings the bridge in BTLH, he bloody well know3s exactly what he's doing.

John