View Single Post
Old 08-23-2005, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Lindsey was being patronizing in that Jim Ladd interview.

Quote:
He used to complain about having to do Bob Welch songs (a couple of quotes in Bob Brunning's book hint at that, even though it is odd that he reportedly only did "Hypnotized" and yet still uses a plural when he says he HATED doing Bob Welch's songs)....

...But then if Lindsey so hated Bob Welch's contributions to Fleetwood Mac, it is odd that he later on worked for the retake of "Sentimental Lady" with Bob.
There WAS a point where "Sentimental Lady" WAS in Fleetwood Mac's set around the time that Lindsey hooked up with Bob for the French Kiss remake. So, that's where the plural probably comes in. And, there was a time when they'd done Bob Welch's "Angel"...but all reports I've heard of that have been that Christine took the lead vocal on it.

Quote:
Obviously Lindsey felt that he couldn't add anything of his own to those, so he preferred to leave them alone when it was possible (after the huge, cursed success of Rumours had happened). The mysticism of "Hypnotized" and "The Green Manalishi" are closely connected to Bob Welch and Peter Green, after all.
Quote:
Brunning's book has a quote of Lindsey not wanting to be in a cover band and that's what he must have felt Fleetwood Mac was like partially during the early days of the Rumours line-up.
So, what?!? Play the damned songs...he JOINED Fleetwood Mac...a band with a history, maybe it didn't have the success of what they were to achieve with him, but still they had a history and a fairly decent fan base...and a fan base in which many were alienated by Lindsey's lack of respect. The concept Lindsey failed, and continues to fail, to grasp is that he's Fleetwood Mac's guitarist, and as such, there are Fleetwood Mac songs that should be played..."Hypnotized" & "Oh Well" are just two FINE examples, there are more...to whine & complain about playing them is just plain juvenile.

Sure, if he's doing a solo tour, I don't expect to hear ANY Fleetwood Mac songs of ANY era...if he does his own FMac compositions, all the better. But, if he's touring as a member of Fleetwood Mac, I expect to hear Fleetwood Mac songs from throughout the life of their existence, not just tunes from a particular member's involvement.

Big contradiction in logic: If Lindsey doesn't want to be in a cover band, then why is he recording Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, & Donovan tunes? Gee, those are "covers"? Why not "cover" (although I'm not in total agreement of even my own usage of the term in this case) Fleetwood Mac songs while touring as a member of Fleetwood Mac??

AND, furthermore...if they keep hammering away at 30 year old tunes from Rumours like they do, they might as well classify themselves as "an oldies band"...cuz they SURE as hell aren't promoting their current material, either. I'll just bet Lindsey would LOVE to be considered a member of an OLDIES band.

Ok...enough talk of Lindsey in the Peter Green board. My apologies.

Last edited by chiliD; 08-23-2005 at 04:34 PM..