View Single Post
Old 09-01-2005, 11:15 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
In the truest sense, yes, Bekka is the better singer. Her range is considerable, and her tone is more universal. But, Stevie is more than a singer. She's a personna. She has a distinct image. It doesn't matter that she has almost no range these days, the actual singing is only a part of who she is.

Well, duh! Stevie is older and did not have the burdon of having to be compared to her legendary mother or two other legendary rock women. Hell, Stevie didn't have the burdon of being THE girl in the band. She openly admits that Christine's time in the band made it easier for her to be accepted by Mac fans. Stevie was able to join a band that had a mild following, but was not terribly well known as a complete unknown herself, create an image, and was able to be judged on her own merits as a singer/songwriter/performer. That was never in Bekka's cards. By the time Bekka joined, the band had been THE biggest band in history, and everything from '87 on has just been a footnote in the story. So, really, their situations are so completely different, that to try and compare their careers is really pointless. I'm sure the career Bekka has had isn't necessarily the one she wanted, but she sure has been a backing vocalist of choice for a lot of huge name acts.

Because the "Time" band didn't do anything to promote the album. Again, I think we have Mr. Buckingham to thank for that. As I'll keep saying, I think it's slightly more than coincidental that "Twisted" was released seven months to the day "Time" was released.
Christine being in the band had no influence on Stevie being accepted by the fans. Stevie was accepted by the fans because of her voice, looks and talent not because the band had another woman in it. Whats the difference, if the fans were not going to like Stevie, Christine could not make them.

When I saw the Time band in 94 I guess, I was embarrassed for them. They were on a bill with 3 other acts that were mediocore at best (except for Benatar). Bekka looked ridiculous in her mini Mick outfit of black hot pants, white shirt and black vest. And when her and Mick stood together on the stage for GDW (or Landslide I forget which one) in basically matching outfits it was hysterical. I was like what is this The Partridge Family. Time did nothing for the name Fleetwood Mac. Im glad it is a very brief footnote in the history of the band. Im sure in hindsight all concerned with it know it was a mistake.