Thread: Danny ignored
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2006, 06:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca
Danny did some acid in Germany (according to Bob Brunning's book) that seemed to have effected his personality badly, as it did with Peter. We don't know how much to attribute to that. Mick and John were also trying out various substances at different periods which also would affect how they might have responded to Danny. I am a huge fan of Dan's songs but I think he was and is treated pretty well by Mick and others. I can say that musically his influence on others, not just those close to him has been hard to deduce. Peter seems to have been the initiator away from strict blues with everyone else following in their own time, and maybe Danny was more receptive to that.

Early on Danny seems to have relished attention and even been competitive about getting his earned share, while later became paranoid and was disliking attention, which are pretty well known side effects of drug use or 'bad trips'.

P.S.: I recall Hypnotized being a pretty major FM staple in the '70s, but maybe a pacific northwest phenomenon, along with Steely Dan and Boston. How often do Mahavishnu Orchestra get played on radio? But they are sellers as well as artistic successes. If Danny's music fell through the cracks of commercial radio he is far from alone, but this is also what makes a record freak; finding stuff like this that got passed over.
Well, Bob Brunning's book is NOT very accurate on many topics. Danny wasn't with Peter on the "acid trip" in Munich. Drinking probably had more to do with his decline than any "bad trip", but he obviously had problems before that, obsessive-compulsive behaviour like biting his nails until his fingers were bleeding...