View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 11:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
This makes sense that you would lump the white album into this group since, at the time of its original release, it was probably considered by most as "just another FM album with another lineup." I'm curious: you've probably been asked before, but what did you think of the White album and the "new" lineup when you first heard it?
Yeah, "just another FM album with another lineup" is pretty much how I felt. I was already familiar with the Buckingham Nicks album (since I'd owned that album for about a year by the time the FM album was released), and was really blown away that THEY were chosen to replace Bob Welch; but in spite of that, I was still disappointed with the album upon first few listens. Christine's songs didn't sound like the Christine songs I was used to (in retrospect, they sound JUST like the Christine songs I was used to )...I don't know why I was expecting Buckingham & Nicks to sound any different than their own album, maybe I was expecting them to conform more to being "Fleetwood Mac"-ish, rather than Fleetwood Mac to conform to sounding "Buckingham Nicks"-ish. A similar feeling I had later when I first saw Dave Mason with Fleetwood Mac in 1994.

There just wasn't that, to me, "obvious" Fleetwood Mac sounding song anywhere on the album. I definitely was missing Bob Welch. Wasn't until I heard those songs live (and especially "Rhiannon", of course) that I started listening to the album in a different mind set. Once I heard this lineup do the "old stuff", like "Station Man", "Green Manalishi", "Rattlesnake Shake", "Hypnotized", etc...that I finally relented and accepted them ("them" being Buckingham Nicks) into Fleetwood Mac. Little did I know at the time that just a tad over a decade later, I'd resent them for ever joining the band. (but the seeds of that were sown as early as late 1977 when all the pre-75 tunes were dropped, except for "Oh Well" , which was by far, their weakest song of the bunch)