View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
Yeah but how do you know she doesn't feel great about herself? We haven't seen her in seven years but looking into the mirror every day, she probably doesn't notice it as much. And really I'm sure she looks better than that anyway because that is an obviously unflattering photo of her, with her hair messed up by the wind and not a stitch of make-up on. She was probably just out around where she lives taking her dog for a walk, I wouldn't get dressed up for that either! I'm sure she looks a lot better when she's done up, all of us do.
I don't think there is a soul in the world (over the age of 30) that feels great about looking older. Yes, it can be very gradual, but there is nothing like the discovery of a certain line, bag or sag to remind us of our mortality. I can totally empathize with people who subject themselves to the interventions wrought by modern science to prolong the appearance of youth. I don't think it is a matter of aesthetics as much as it is a way of coming to grips with death. I do fancy the notion of being a taut, line-free corpse one day.