View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just finished reading it and it really seems like such a missed opportunity.

A little under half of it is interview quotes with people who really like Tusk, but often don't even speak about the album. Walter Egan, for example, speaks mostly about what it was like being produced by LB.

Then there's a whole strand that's a sort of fragmented autobiography, which the author predicts is going to disappoint a lot of people because they don't know who he is and don't care and thought they were going to get a book about Tusk. (He's right.)

This would be fine, if he was a good writer - but he really isn't all that sharp.

Possibly the most irritating thing is that he actually gives space to reiterating again the story of how LB and SN came to join FM, etc etc. So lazy.

He also gets some facts wrong and yet has the temerity to criticise Wikipedia for the same reason.....

In the intro, he makes a big thing about of not getting the interviews he was promised with LB. This, presumably, was a big part of why the book was delayed.

But what annoys me is that it should be possible to write a book of this modest length about Tusk entirely from the 'outside'. You don't need access to LB to analyse the album. I mean, it probably helps, but .... My God, people can still write whole PhDs about bloody 'Middlemarch' without speaking to George freakin Eliot!!

Rant over.