Thread: Kiln House
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 10:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I think Christine's live in-studio version of Crazy Bout You Baby with the Mac is incredible, as is Danny's Trinity.
I kept wondering why, on Madison Blues, that there was the parenthetic "Can't Hold Out Much Longer" after "Crazy Bout You Baby" title. I kept thinking that somehow they did a medley with the Elmore James song. But not the case.

Well, come to find out, that lyrically, the Christine sung tune was an old Little Walter song called "Can't Hold Out Much Longer". (hence the original title in parentheses; apparently a publishing company had threatened litigation)

She had just given it a little bit more of the British pop/blues feel, where Little Walter's original version has that more Muddy Waters-esque plodding feel. (it was covered very faithfully to the original arrangement by Eric Clapton on his recent Clapton album)

Typical of blues tunes...the same song can have multiple titles depending on who records them. Like Elmore James' "I Can't Hold Out" has also been recorded by James himself under the titles "Talk To Me Baby" & "Telephone Blues". (not sure if that was a ploy to reap more royalties or not; since most blues artists got stiffed of most of their royalties anyway) Even his most famous song "Dust My Broom" (itself a cover of a Robert Johnson song) had also been recorded under the title "I Believe My Time Ain't Long" (even Fleetwood Mac themselves recorded two versions of the song one under each title)

And, on a personal note, one of my bands plays Danny's "Without You", but the singer in our band never refers to the song by it's official title...he always calls it "Crazy About My Baby". (Irritates me to no end...for the last 7 years!!! )