View Single Post
Old 04-07-2003, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Basically what Danny added to the band was someone that Peter could play off of...and get ideas from and be challenged by. Jeremy Spencer just didn't fit that bill (or didn't WANT to fit that bill). Danny wasn't what I would call a prolific lyricist, but a consistently prolific writer, nonetheless. Outside of "When You Say", he really didn't write a real "stinker". He was able to "hide" alongside Peter (and Peter was, for a time, able to "just be a member of the band", rather than the main focal point of Fleetwood Mac...which he despised) After Peter left, Danny still managed to write really good songs, but I think the pressure of being co-LEADER of the band proved too much for him...I think had he still had someone to "hide behind" yet still be at the forefront, a lot of his "problems" wouldn't have surfaced so dramatically.

I don't think his "style" really changed that much after Peter left, "Woman Of A Thousand Years" isn't much of a stretch from "Although The Sun Is Shining"..."Child Of Mine" is a logical "next step" from "Coming Your Way", etc, etc. Where Danny's style changed most was after he was out of Fleetwood Mac altogether...where his songwriting seemed to be more suited for Wings or Badfinger than Fleetwood Mac.