View Single Post
Old 07-03-2021, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Yes, Stevie being addicted meant she couldn’t quit drugs even for 3 days.

I think she looks incredible in Talk to Me, stunning, even. She’s wearing different color and style dresses, different hairstyles, I think it was a great video. I Can’t Wait is dismal, I definitely agree.

Her record company did not release a single that was designed to kill the album. If they didn’t want to shoot a third video, that doesn’t mean they didn’t want another hit single. If they had released No Spoken Word instead, whether it had a video or not, there’s no guarantee it would have charted any higher than HAEWAFY. Talk to Me and I Can’t Wait were the most the most commercial songs on the album, as proven by their performance on the charts.
We can agree to disagree but I dont think many esp at a record company expected HAEWAFY to chart. Its anything but a pop single for radio.
I had similar thoughts about Nightbird. I dont care for the song but if I could pick the next single from RAL it would be If I Were You....even with no video.

I Cant Wait was the first time we saw Stevie's weight gain and not as glam as she used to be or could have been. This was the beginning of her hairstyle of the mid/late 80s that I always hated. It was puffy on top and straight on the sides. She stuck with that look through the Big Love video.

There are parts of the Talk To Me video that are fine. But I hate the blank room dance with her brother appearing on the wall playing sax. I wanted to see more of her at the mic instead of those far away shots. It seemed they tried to hide somethings with only close face shots and far away shots.
Now for my 80s flashback. We did not have MTV in 1986 and I would tape the TBS Night tracks and hope to catch Talk To Me and I finally did one Friday night. And guess what, I could fast forward the VCR with a remote control that had a long wire attached to it. Ha ha.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-03-2021 at 03:01 PM..