View Single Post
Old 12-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Denver Post Fleetwood Mac drummer steps out front with photo show

http://www.denverpost.com/entertainm...ont-photo-show

By Ray Mark Rinaldi Denver Post Fine Arts Critic Posted: 12/05/2014 12:01:00

Longtime fans of Fleetwood Mac, familiar with the band's legendary history of parties, road trips, breakups and makeups, might expect an exhibit of founder Mick Fleetwood's photography to be full of rock 'n' roll pandemonium.

Some trashed hotel rooms, some backstage revelry, maybe something of bandmates Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham duking it out in the old days.

But really, it's about flowers and swans and country roads, the wild brush of Hawaii where he lives and the funky detritus of the island's free-spirited inhabitants.

Mick Fleetwood, at 67, has developed an affinity for dew-covered roses, wild mushrooms and peaceful streams, and he's turned his hobby of photographing them into a side business. Accompanying Fleetwood Mac's concert at the Pepsi Center Dec. 12 is the founding drummer's photo show at Fascination St. Fine Art in Cherry Creek.

Fleetwood, who has spent the better part of four decades as support staff for his mega-platinum band, says taking center stage as a photographer is a bit awkward.

"I don't sing. I don't write songs. I play drums, and by now I know I do it pretty damn well," he said by phone from a tour stop in Ottawa. "I'm in the support team, the rhythm section. That's my job."

He knows there's some risk invovled. Lots of musicians fancy themselves crossover artists. Some are serious about it, some just vain, and fans are happy to call out the pretenders. "Where the skittles fall, they fall," he said.

But he likes his photos. They're personal, and he's eager to share. Some, mostly shots of gardens, he took in England before he moved his elderly mother to Hawaii. He wanted her to have some scenes around her new house that reminded her of her roots.

Others are from jaunts into the open spaces near his more-recent tropical home. Abandoned vehicles and ancient crosses mix with shots of brilliant green flora.

Fleetwood has been honing his photo skills for years. He was introduced to the art by bandmate John McVie and "started making what would be called annoying snapshots" of his fellow musicians.

But he grew serious about it, acquiring better equipment and learning how to use it.

His current work is fully composed and far from snapshot material. Fleetwood makes the most of the lines that form in his backyard landscapes.

He also takes his vision further than simple photography, applying paint and glaze on top of some works to bring out shapes and colors. One field of flowers has dabs of pink and white on top, popping the scene off the canvas.

The basic prints sell for under $2,000. An embellished piece might go for around $6,000. Fleetwood, the showman, has a unique way of signing some works, applying a paint-dipped handprint on strategic corners.

As art goes, those prices are neither cheap nor expensive, and it's hard to imagine the drummer/photographer is cashing in. His band tours relentlessly in major arenas. It has sold more than 100 million records. He doesn't need the money.

He does like the attention, though, and he'll show up in person Dec. 11 to push the goods. He'll also chat about the work with fans, something that, he says, keeps him going as an artist. "I think it's fun to be able to talk about how this shot or that shot came about," he said.

Ray Mark Rinaldi: 303-954-1540, rrinaldi@denverpost.com or twitter.com/rayrinaldi

MICK FLEETWOOD PHOTOGRAPHY EXHIBIT. Fascination St. Fine Art presents recent work by the founder and drummer of the band Fleetwood Mac. Through Dec. 26. Mick Fleetwood will also appear at the gallery to greet fans from 7:30 to 9 p.m. on Dec. 11, prior to the band's concert at Pepsi Center on Dec. 12. 315 Detroit St. The gallery is free but register for the appearance in advance by calling. 303-333-1566 or fascinationst.com.