View Single Post
Old 01-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Although I have still yet to hear the version from "Shrine '69", it seems fairly safe to say that it would be close to, if not the same as the version found on the "Roughage '69" bootleg -
Below is a write-up I had done of that version (apologies in advance to those with more refined sensibilities):

“Blue Suede Shoes (medley)” –
Here is Spencer in full “Elvis mode”. While of questionable taste, this is actually a well played and funny performance as the band never allows the music to take a back seat to the adolescent humor on display.
They rock through Carl Perkins’ signature tune in high style, utilizing the slightly faster arrangement favored by Presley. There is a fine guitar break and McVie’s “popping” bass line keeps the beat. The guitars begin to drop out and the band echoes Spencer’s words in harmony, as the number slows and they glide from “Blue Suede Shoes” to “All Shook Up”.
The shift from the straight forward chorus of “blue, blue, blue suede shoes” to “doo wop, suck my knob” is seamless and that is what makes it so effective. The contrast between what they are saying and the V-neck sweater and white shoes vocalizing provides the surprise to make the number successful.
Spencer gets aggressive once more as he shifts into the rhythm of “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Going On” while the band continues with “All Shook Up”, repeating only the second line of each verse to excellent effect.
After detailing his anatomical dimensions (complete with harmonized confirmation) they wrap up the number with a final verse of “Blue Suede Shoes” with full band accompaniment and the crowd goes wild.

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder