Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-02-2004, 08:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default What are you afraid of?

I started to head out the front door tonight, when I noticed a huge spider hanging on the porch. I couldn't even step outside until my boyfriend killed it. I was SO freaked out.

I'd never really been afraid of them before, but lately the sight of even the smallest spider makes my skin crawl. I think it has something to do with what I found a few weeks ago on the curtain behind my bed - about a foot above my pillow:

It's leg-span was well over two inches - probably closer to three. Ugh, it's still creeping me out . . .

So, do any of you have phobias?

Old 10-02-2004, 09:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That thing would give anybody the shivers, especially right above the bed.

Years ago when I was pregnant with my son, we lived on a farm. I use to put together jig saw puzzles. I had my puzzle pieces on a card table, with the legs folded up underneath it. I bent down and picked it up, as I was walking with it, I knew something felt different. I set it down on the footstool and I had my fingernails in a huge black snake. I'm surprised I didn't go into labor right there. That will make you do a dance!!

But my phobia is water. I am petrified of it. I wish I could overcome the fear but I can't. My husband and I love to fish and I like being on the water but not in it. I am 35 years old and my husband made me take swim lessons. Imagine a 35 year old woman with 5 & 6 year old kids and I'm the one blubbering I can't do it. She actually wanted me to put my face in the water....lol.

Thats a few of my stories.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I hate all insects (except butterflies). Spiders don't creep me out as much as flying, stinging ones do.

I also hate the sight of blood, and I have an odd phobia about veins. I cannot stand to have blood drawn. It just freaks me out.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjupiter678
I started to head out the front door tonight, when I noticed a huge spider hanging on the porch. I couldn't even step outside until my boyfriend killed it. I was SO freaked out.

I'd never really been afraid of them before, but lately the sight of even the smallest spider makes my skin crawl. I think it has something to do with what I found a few weeks ago on the curtain behind my bed - about a foot above my pillow:
It's leg-span was well over two inches - probably closer to three. Ugh, it's still creeping me out . . .

OMG, I can't believe you took a picture of that nasty thing! Did you kill it after you snapped the pic? Spiders would be at the top of my list. While living in FL I had a panic attack when a big, hairy wolf spider crawled out from behind my desk. I went outside and coaxed some stranger inside to kill it (after I chased it around with a broom for a while). Gives me the willies just looking at that pictures. UGH!

Carol
Old 10-02-2004, 10:34 PM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:38 PM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjupiter678

great, now YOUR spider is creeping me out! Thanks for the GIANT PICTURE I was held captive in my house by wasps a couple weeks ago - thats the main bug i'm scared of. I'm afraid of getting older...I'm afraid of being murdered....

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 10-02-2004, 10:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Spiders don't bother me. We once had a "pet" spider take up residence on our back porch. Every night he'd weave the most amazingly intricate webs. We'd ooh and ah over the every morning. I also enjoy watching the bats fly around as the sun begins to set. I don't like other kinds of bugs though.

The thing that scares me is heights. I'm okay in a skyscraper but put me up on top of a mountain or something similar--and I'm scared to death.
As high as I ever want to get off the ground is when I'm on horseback.

Oh--and one more thing--the thought of another four years of Shrub in office really scares me to death.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Just for future reference, I would advise that you don't ever move to Australia. This is the common huntsman which can always be found sticking its nose into your household business. I've spent hours chasing one out of my bedroom on occasion. You get used to it a bit, but when they're the size of your extended hand you still tend to yelp. These aren't venomous though.

The female Redbacks are the ones around here which do the damage. I would say it's a myth that they actually bite and do damage but then the family came over from New Zealand and just as we were telling them they were being paranoid, a redback bit a few of them. Lovely way to send the tourists away.

But then you have the most venomous spider in the world. The male Funnel Web is found in Sydney and every year a few more Sydney-siders drop off in the annual cull.

We do of course also have something like 9 of the 10 deadliest snakes aswell but you don't see them. Some are alledgedly found where I live but basically they live out west (which is Australian for in the middle of nowhere or central Australia). You do see the spiders though, so yeah the point was, the whole myth about Australians living amongst deadly creatures is just that, a myth........well except for the spiders. Well that last sentence didn't make any sense and what better way to conclude than on incompetency.
I watched an Australian nature show a couple of weeks ago, and that really creeped me out! They have one-third of the entire world's deadliest snakes - they have about 180 species of snake and 130 are super poisonous. Also, they showed the funnel web, and several other deadly spiders. I forgot which one, but they showed one that was deadly dropping into a pool where kids were splashing and playing, and they were like "this spider can stay under water for up to 30 minutes " Then they showed sharks, then they showed the huge jellyfish problem, they're all poisonous and they get so many that they have to sort of, put netting out to try to keep the shallows a bit clear...then they showed a crocodile attacking a woman's boat...
It totally freaked me out - I used to think, oh, it will be so fun to vacation in Australia, sun, beach, etc. ...Now i realize that if I ever go there i'm gonna wear a fu****g HASMAT suit!

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 10-02-2004, 10:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGeMe
Spiders don't bother me. We once had a "pet" spider take up residence on our back porch. Every night he'd weave the most amazingly intricate webs. We'd ooh and ah over the every morning. I also enjoy watching the bats fly around as the sun begins to set. I don't like other kinds of bugs though.
see, i'm not to scared of them either, and here's the thing about spiders...they eat other bugs!!! that's why when there was a huge one outside with a giant web, i didn't do anything...I was like, "hey, spidey, why'nt you try to get some wasps in that web?"
Amber

Old 10-02-2004, 11:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love spiders! My friend Alex has a tarantula that we used to let crawl all over us when we were ... ummm ... getting high. (Please don't ban me! ) It's like a miniature massage, the way she moves her legs, although the hairs on her belly start to tickle after a while. Her favorite place to be is at the base of your neck, hiding her head in your hair. But you had to watch her, or she'd crawl inside your clothes and seek the warmest, dampest place to play house. Yes, I mean there...

What I don't like -- spiderwebs. ICK!!! Love to look at them and watch them being spun, but immediately have to take a shower when I walk into one. And then for the next day or so, I still feel like I have strands of it stuck to my skin, especially when I get a face full of them.

Also, going into hospitals makes me nauseous. I spent a good part of my childhood being operated on to correct a congenital esophagus defect. I stayed in the hospital about a week every few months for a few years until they decided I was old enough to just slice open from bellybutton to sternum and be done with it. To this day, I want to vomit when I smell or see jello or chicken broth. Thankfully (or not, considering my current waistline), I never developed an aversion to ice cream, as those were the only three things I was able to swallow without choking.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixxxed
I love spiders! My friend Alex has a tarantula that we used to let crawl all over us when we were ... ummm ... getting high. (Please don't ban me! ) It's like a miniature massage, the way she moves her legs, although the hairs on her belly start to tickle after a while. Her favorite place to be is at the base of your neck, hiding her head in your hair. But you had to watch her, or she'd crawl inside your clothes and seek the warmest, dampest place to play house. Yes, I mean there...

What I don't like -- spiderwebs. ICK!!! Love to look at them and watch them being spun, but immediately have to take a shower when I walk into one. And then for the next day or so, I still feel like I have strands of it stuck to my skin, especially when I get a face full of them.

Also, going into hospitals makes me nauseous. I spent a good part of my childhood being operated on to correct a congenital esophagus defect. I stayed in the hospital about a week every few months for a few years until they decided I was old enough to just slice open from bellybutton to sternum and be done with it. To this day, I want to vomit when I smell or see jello or chicken broth. Thankfully (or not, considering my current waistline), I never developed an aversion to ice cream, as those were the only three things I was able to swallow without choking.
I totally agree with your web feelings. And what i remember as my favorite part about hospitals? (tonsils out age 3, appendix out ON CHRISTMAS, age 9)
UNLIMITED POPSICLES!!!!I was ringing that nurses bell every five min.
AMber

Old 10-03-2004, 12:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm fine with snakes, mice, bats, etc... but spiders do creep me out. I'm a baby when it comes to bugs. And I once found an abnormally large scorpion under my bed when we lived in AZ, so I was afraid of those for awhile. I'm also terrified of public speaking. That's about it.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So, it would appear that almost everyone is scared of bugs...some type...but, i bet none of you are really scared of ants. sure, they're gross, but...I grew up where you expect periodic ant infestations, but we hardly have those giant, stingy ants...a few, we call them "big red" but nothing too bad..
Anyone scared of Ants?

Old 10-03-2004, 01:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Might sound strange...

but I am afraid of only 1 thing, And that would be to lose my hearing.

If my hearing ever goes I will bring to life the lyrics of a classic Pat Travers song:

"Boom, Boom, Out Goes The Lights"

Brian "Bang...bang..." j.

ps-Our house is full of spiders, But mainly "Daddy Longlegs"...Which are cool, But outside we have the occasional "Banana Spider" which build the most beautiful webs of any spiders I have ever seen.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 10-03-2004, 03:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't like any bugs really. And I hate spiders. But I've had to become a little braver as my kids make me get rid of any that are in the house. One of us has to be brave! Before kids I would put a cup over the little blighter and leave it there until my hubby got home from work! heh

Pip
Old 10-03-2004, 03:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Rhiannon
I don't like any bugs really. And I hate spiders. But I've had to become a little braver as my kids make me get rid of any that are in the house. One of us has to be brave! Before kids I would put a cup over the little blighter and leave it there until my hubby got home from work! heh

Pip
LOL, I call that "my dad's method" and I call me and my Mom's method the "flee from the house screaming" method. Although, now that i don't live with a boyfriend or a dad, it's been newly renamed "Spanky (my super cat) Just Eat The Bug!!!!! Don't play with it forevah!" method. .. And yes, my supercat has many of the qualities i would like my boyfriend to have, LOL Sometimes I call him Buddha...
Seriously, i'm too scared of most bugs to get close enough to clap a jar over them...although i've recently realized spraying them to death isn't the most humane method... but you know, you can be more farther away if you spray them...but watching bugs die from spray is kinda more than my humanitarian soul can take... you know, my tree-hugging, Humbolt county, Northern California soul is very sensitive...

Last edited by amber; 10-03-2004 at 03:11 AM..