Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-23-2002, 10:20 AM
Junior Ledgie

Question The Early Years - Fleetwood Mac DVD

Anyone out there have this? How is it? Is it worth my money if I'm a rabid early-Fleetwood Mac fan?
Old 08-23-2002, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't have the DVD, but I've got it on LaserDisc...it's Fleetwood Mac, damned straight it's worth it!!!!

Some of the shots are lip sync'd, some are played live...two are just a montage of stills over the album cut (the latter are "Black Magic Woman" at the beginning, "Green Manalishi" at the end)

Two in particular (both live) are worth the price of admission:

1) After one song, Danny breaks a string, meanwhile, Peter plays a killer "The World Keeps On Turning" while Danny changes the string.

2) "Rattlesnake Shake" from the old TV show, "Playboy After Dark" with Hef introducing them as "THE Fleetwood Mac"
Old 08-23-2002, 11:56 AM
Junior Ledgie

Thanks for the info ChiliD. Would it be possible for you to type out a track listing and identify which are lip-synched and which are live?
Old 08-23-2002, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, wish they'd put the string breaking set on teevee sometime for us LD and DVD resisters (I didn't break down and get a CD player of my own until 1996, having mixers and turntables and crates of records around helped put it off).

I wonder how much Playboy after dark stuff is available, am curious to see Sweetwater's appearance too. I see they have a series of Mike Douglas Show Day by Day with Lennon and Ono hosting. I'd buy the tv stuff Cass Elliot hosted I'm sure. There was someone selling tapes he was making of a lot of stuff and I think he had some olf FM from tv appearances too, so tempting but I am just curious to see these things once mostly.
Old 08-23-2002, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"The Early Years" is available on VHS, too!
Old 08-28-2002, 08:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile GOWEROPOLIS

I have it here, let's see:

BLACK MAGIC WOMAN (they just play the studio version in the background during the opening credits and as a biography is narrated (VERY quickly!))

MY HEART BEAT LIKE A HAMMER (lip synch)

SHAKE YOUR MONEYMAKER (lip synch)

I'M WORRIED (live)

LIKE IT THIS WAY (live)

THE WORLD KEEP ON TURNING (live)

STOP MESSIN' 'ROUND (they just play the studio version of the song in the background while we are shown some still photos of the band and it's members)

ALBATROSS (lip synch)

NEED YOU LOVE SO BAD (lip synch)

MAN OF THE WORLD (lip synch)

LIKE CRYING (live)

LINDA (live)

OH WELL (lip synch to the Boston Tea Party version)

RATTLESNAKE SHAKE (live)

THE GREEN MANALISHI (they play some of the Boston Tea Party live version while they show us some more photos and during the end credits)

I agree with ChiliD that it is VERY annoying knowing that there are other GREAT live clips in existance from the same sources they used ("Oh well" from the same show that "Like crying" & "Linda" are from, "Coming your way" from the "Playboy after dark" episode that "Rattlesnake shake" on here is taken from, "Rattlesnake shake" from the same show that "I'm worried", "Like it this way" & "The world keep on turning" are from etc.) and didn't use them BUT the ones that ARE here are worth it alone! Hope that helps!

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 09-25-2002 at 02:12 PM..
Old 08-28-2002, 10:05 AM
Junior Ledgie

Thanks a bunch John!
Old 09-01-2002, 12:41 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Re: GOWEROPOLIS

Quote:
Originally posted by wetcamelfood
ALBATROSS (lip synch)

Are you sure it's LIP Synched?

Old 09-01-2002, 01:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

hmm... that brings up a good question!
What *do* you call it if a band "goes thru the motions" for a video of an instrumental track?

"Pre-recorded soundtrack" sounds a bit fussy, but I guess that would describe it.

Johnny Stew
Old 09-01-2002, 01:24 AM
Junior Ledgie

How about using the British term for lip sync, "Mimed".
Old 09-01-2002, 01:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

"Mimed" isn't bad... though it makes me think of Marcel Marceau!

Johnny Stew
Old 09-01-2002, 07:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile DUGAN

This figures, I originally tried to post that listing last Sunday and I had originally remembered about this fact and I put in the joke next to the "Albatross" listing something to the effect of "if you can call an instrumental a "lip" synch that is HAHA" or whatever but when I went to hit "post message", the ledge had been closed down while I was in there typing away (so naturally, it didn't accept it) so I must have forgotten to retype that "joke" in when I did eventually get the chance to repost it a few days later when the ledge reopened. Just my luck!

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 09-25-2002 at 02:15 PM..
Old 03-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Am I missing something?

I hope it is OK to re-open an old thread.....

Can anybody help me solve this mystery?

On the cover of my DVD copy of "Fleetwood Mac - The Early Years" - it says that the DVD contains rarely seen footage (the same numbers as mentioned above), and that :"there is also interviews with band members of both the original and later line ups.."

My copy does not contain any interviews.

In Hjorts book (p.274) - under the heading 4th of december 1969 - it says that on the groups arrival in Detroit they are guests on a tv show on Channel 62. They perform "Oh Well", and Peter Green is interviewed by dj Dave Dixon from local radio station WABX. According to Hjort "this brief sequence is later resurrected for the video "The Early Years of Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac"."

Does anyone here know whether there has been many different versions of this video?

Ms Moose
Old 03-24-2008, 06:19 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Playboy After Dark

There are some Dvd's of "Playboy After Dark" on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_se...%2Ci%3Apopular

I also have a "boot" dvd of performaces of Linda Ronstadt, smokey robison, Sir Douglas band and a bunch more. Fleetwood Mac included.

Maybe there are some others listed on Ebay. Sharon
Old 03-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default VHS vs DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post
I hope it is OK to re-open an old thread.....

Can anybody help me solve this mystery?

My copy does not contain any interviews.

In Hjorts book (p.274) - under the heading 4th of december 1969 - it says that on the groups arrival in Detroit they are guests on a tv show on Channel 62. They perform "Oh Well", and Peter Green is interviewed by dj Dave Dixon from local radio station WABX. According to Hjort "this brief sequence is later resurrected for the video "The Early Years of Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac"."

Does anyone here know whether there has been many different versions of this video?

Ms Moose
I guess There is a difference between the DVD and the VHS because there ae snippits of the interviews there, such as they are. The Dixon interview looks like it was done in a basement and Peter was unaware that the "Archies " was a made up group to go along with the cartoon but did know that they was a bigger hit than albatross, There was also footage from the film about John Mayall "The Turning Point" made in 1969-70 where Peter Mick and John discuss the influence of Mayall to them. Peter is wearing a horizontal stripped shirt in that one. There are a few pictures floating around with him wearing that . I guess I was lucky. i ordered the DVD on Amazon UK and I got the VHS tape instead

vinnie c