Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lightbulb Difference's between album versions vs single versions

I'm intrigued by the differences between an album version of a song vs the single versions of the same song. Perhaps its more of a generational thing growing up in the 90's, but I don't get why you change up/remix the song for the single release. What's the reasoning in changing the song up for the release of a single?

Take "Say You Love Me" - 2 versions album version and the single 45 version. Though I do prefer the single version of SYLM to the album version.

I suppose other artist do/have done this, but it just seems strange to me.

Are there FM songs where you prefer the single version over the album version or vice versa?
Old 03-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I usually hate the single mixes because they're often shorter edits of the album versions so they would get more airplay. The shorter the songs the more ad space they can sell. I would guess alternate mixes are done to sell more records. If you already have the album you're not going to buy the single, but if the song is remixed or reworked and put out as a single you'd be more open to buying that too. I think of Cyndi Lauper's She Bop. The 45 mix was way superior to the version on the album and that came after the album was a huge seller. I'm sure the idea was to get people to buy the single when they already had the album.

I really like the single mix of Rhiannon. Can't say more than the album or why I like it so much, but there's just something about it.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I miss 12" edits.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
I'm intrigued by the differences between an album version of a song vs the single versions of the same song. Perhaps its more of a generational thing growing up in the 90's, but I don't get why you change up/remix the song for the single release. What's the reasoning in changing the song up for the release of a single?

Take "Say You Love Me" - 2 versions album version and the single 45 version. Though I do prefer the single version of SYLM to the album version.

I suppose other artist do/have done this, but it just seems strange to me.

Are there FM songs where you prefer the single version over the album version or vice versa?
Different mixes for 45 versions of songs was pretty common back in those days. Having a strong radio hit was very important and a big driver of album sales. The reason for remixing songs for single release was usually to provide a punchier sound that would increase the song's chances at Top 40 radio. Sometimes 45 mixes were just a different balance of instrumentation with a bit more compression in the mix to make it sound more like a "hit", while in other cases (such as SYLM), new instrumentation was added to the 45 version.

I can only surmise that for the SYLM 45 version, they were trying to "rock it up" a bit for rock radio airplay, hence the prominent electric guitar. This is one of these cases where I actually prefer the album version, as I felt the additional guitar sounded tacked on and never really gelled in the mix.

Of course, the other 2 singles from the White album are pretty heavily remixed as well. For those, I like both the album and 45 versions equally as well.

"Sisters Of The Moon" and "Think About Me" aren't as dramatically different, although the cold ending on the 45 of SOTM is interesting.

45 edits are a different story. Those were done just to make the songs shorter and tighter, to be more in line with the length of most top 40 songs. FM didn't have too many 45s that were straight edits. "Sara" is the only prominent example I can think of. "Gypsy" was sort of an edit in its 45 version, but there is actually a brief section toward the coda that is not present on the album version...this version has never been released on CD.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love the totally different studio take of the lead piano track on the "Say You Love Me" remix. It was recorded two weeks later in a Ventura theater.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's the "Reader's Digest" answer:

The album is meant to be played at home on an expensive sound system. The 45 is mixed so that it still sounds good being played on the crappy radio in your car. That's it. That's all there is to the reason why 45 mixes are different than the album.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Here's the "Reader's Digest" answer:

The album is meant to be played at home on an expensive sound system. The 45 is mixed so that it still sounds good being played on the crappy radio in your car. That's it. That's all there is to the reason why 45 mixes are different than the album.
Like and in 1975 most cars still only had crappy AM radios in them!
Old 03-04-2011, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post
Yes, but the extended version on The Chain box set has that extra part towards the end, so it's a lot like the 45 only longer. It's the part where she sings "your bright eyes... I can't find you" just before the guitar solo. It's in the video version too. I always loved that part.

The Chain version is the audio to the MTV video that was released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I love the totally different studio take of the lead piano track on the "Say You Love Me" remix. It was recorded two weeks later in a Ventura theater.
"in A Ventura theater" or "in THE Ventura Theatre"???

Quote:
Is this available anywhere? I don't think I've ever heard it.
The Chain boxset or the deluxe remastered Fleetwood Mac album as a bonus track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by priestofnothing View Post
Egg-ZAKT-lee.

Last edited by chiliD; 03-04-2011 at 02:57 PM..
Old 03-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by priestofnothing View Post
Late night, I listen to 650 AM, WSM, home of the Grand Old Opry.

It doesn't really get acknowledged, but I SWEAR, that the cassette version of Mirage, that came out the day it was released, had a different version of Straight Back, on it. It was missing all the lead guitar work, at the end.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Is this available anywhere? I don't think I've ever heard it.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah the single version of SYLM definitely has an extra kick to it, more of a harder beat and more guitar.

I'm kinda curious if a single version of the song was available if radio always played it rather than the album version.

Last edited by MacShadowsBall; 03-04-2011 at 03:40 PM..
Old 03-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Yeah the single version of SYLM definitely has an extra kick to it, more of a harder beat and more guitar.

I'm kinda curious if a single version of the song was available if radio always played it rather than the album version.
AM radio played the single, FM radio played the album version.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drzubritsky View Post
"Gypsy" was sort of an edit in its 45 version, but there is actually a brief section toward the coda that is not present on the album version...this version has never been released on CD.
Yes, but the extended version on The Chain box set has that extra part towards the end, so it's a lot like the 45 only longer. It's the part where she sings "your bright eyes... I can't find you" just before the guitar solo. It's in the video version too. I always loved that part.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I never liked the radio remixes of "Say You Love Me," "Over My Head," or "Rhiannon." But I really do enjoy the "singles" version of "Think About Me." It's a little more "up."

The Chain boxset has a number of "alternative" versions of songs--none of which differ tremendously from the originals, but there's enough of a difference in some of them to take note: the extended "Gypsy" is interesting (though I think the bad made the right choice in cutting it down for the record and single") and the alternate version of "Love in Store" features a more prominent bass line, especially toward the end.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:27 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, the extended version does contain the "your bright eyes" portion that is missing on the Mirage version, but there's still an ever-so-slight difference from the 45. On the 45, at the 3:15 mark (just before "your bright eyes..") she sings a faint "oooh". It's very low in the mix, but it's there on the 45 and not on The Chain extended version.

Very anal I know, but hunting down or recreating exact 45 versions is a hobby of mine. I tried all kinds of ways to recreate the "Gypsy" 45 from the extended version only to run across the faint vocal "oooh" noted above. Ultimately I did a needledrop from a near-mint 45 and cleaned it up with audio software and it sounds quite nice.