Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Tango In The Night Remixes

I don't know about you but in my opinion the majority of the remixes are absolutely horrible. The Family Man remixes are abominations while the Seven Wonders remixes aren't all that much better. The Little Lies remixes were far and away the best and actually worth listening to.

Matt
Old 04-04-2012, 01:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I agree...totally agree

Hi Matt! Well, I agree with you. I think the remixes are terrible things, especially the mixes of Big Love and Family Man. I heard (I suppose) all of them, and never found a good...style? sound? rythm? Maybe you know what I mean! Syntethizers, changed vocals, drum machines, well, lot of things in one song! Too enough for me.
But I think the extended version of Seven Wonders is good, just something different. Too similar to the original, but good. I think they could make extended versions of Big Love and Family Man too...but the 80s were the 80s...
Regards!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Registered

I personally really like most of the Tango remixes, the 12" Dance Remix of "Big Love" is one I especially listen to a lot. I never listened to "Family Man" until I came across the 12" Dance Guitar Mix and really liked it.

I'm a sucker for those 1980s remixes.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
I don't know about you but in my opinion the majority of the remixes are absolutely horrible. The Family Man remixes are abominations while the Seven Wonders remixes aren't all that much better. The Little Lies remixes were far and away the best and actually worth listening to.

Matt
It's funny how everyone has different tastes. I hated the Little Lies remix, except that we got a nice little extra helping of Stevie at the end. But I though it ruined the nice mellow feel of the song. Yet, the Seven Wonders remix I actually like better than the original. I miss the little piano thing during the verses but the overall feel is softer and warmer, I think. And I really like how the third verse is even softer and sort of intimate sounding before coming back for a big finish. And the Big Love remixes are epic. I didn't even like the song until I heard the remixes.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Arthur Baker's remix of Big Love was epic for the time but his decision to use Stevie's scorching, but discarded vocals gave the remixes actual heat. Tango was so synthetic, over-processed and drunk on over-dubs, Baker's remix salvaged the era for me. Baker used to be a big, big deal as a producer (New Order, Bob Dylan) and re-mixer (Springsteen, etc.). Jellybean, who remixed all of Madonna's early hits since he was dating her, ran Seven Wonders and Everywhere through his standard dance filter, but he didn't have much to work with since both songs were already studio confections - that crumbled when performed on-stage - and he couldn't mess with the computer enhanced, inhuman harmonies that did all the heavy-lifting for both songs. Baker handled Family Man, which was such terrible source material I don't blame him. Like telling a chef to make a delicious meal out of dog turds.

Sharam's remix of "Big Love" is stunning.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldDustOrphan View Post
Arthur Baker's remix of Big Love was epic for the time but his decision to use Stevie's scorching, but discarded vocals gave the remixes actual heat. Tango was so synthetic, over-processed and drunk on over-dubs, Baker's remix salvaged the era for me. Baker used to be a big, big deal as a producer (New Order, Bob Dylan) and re-mixer (Springsteen, etc.). Jellybean, who remixed all of Madonna's early hits since he was dating her, ran Seven Wonders and Everywhere through his standard dance filter, but he didn't have much to work with since both songs were already studio confections - that crumbled when performed on-stage - and he couldn't mess with the computer enhanced, inhuman harmonies that did all the heavy-lifting for both songs. Baker handled Family Man, which was such terrible source material I don't blame him. Like telling a chef to make a delicious meal out of dog turds.
Funny, in both cases I prefer the live versions over studio. "Little Lies" on the other hand, different story.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the live version of Everywhere is almost comical. Stevie's so loud, it makes me jump. I always says she might as well have just banged a gong.

Michele
Old 04-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I think the live version of Everywhere is almost comical. Stevie's so loud, it makes me jump. I always says she might as well have just banged a gong.
Which one? I mean, which tour? Didn't she kind of tone it down a little on some tours?

On the other hand, her gong-banging on "Stand on the Rock" back in 1990 was just what that drab shlock-rock song needed. Why don't we post a few of those performances just to get folks excited?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Which one? I mean, which tour? Didn't she kind of tone it down a little on some tours?
I was thinking of the Cage tour.

By the time the song got to The Dance, it was perfectly fine.

Michele
Old 04-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I was thinking of the Cage tour.
It shows how decrepit I'm getting that I spent several seconds trying to figure out what the Cage tour was!!

Yeah, I guess in those days--including the Mask tour--Stevie was a little louder with her "I wanna be with youuuuuuu." I betcha Lindsey wouldn't have found much charm in that, had he been around at the time.

moviekinks.blogspot.com