Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default FM & Classic Artists Hit the Charts

Showbiz411

http://www.showbiz411.com/2013/08/06...ac-into-top-50

What year is it again? A major price cut from iTunes last week pushed a bunch of Golden Oldies artists into the top 50 on the charts. Yes, Robin Tnicke is number 1 with his “Blurred Lines” album at 174,000 copies. But “Blurred Lines,” like Daft Punk and Justin Timberlake all sound like music from the 1970s. So it makes sense that the charts today from hitsdailydouble.com show a surprising resurgence of old albums. They’re all greatest hits packages. Otherwise, the charts are stagnant. And these artists and numbers reflect that music today is either terrible or not being made available to buyers, or both. Radio monopolies and pre-programmed playlists haven’t helped. And streaming is definitely cutting into sales both physical and digital. Jay Z and Kanye West have had disappointing releases. Mariah Carey didn’t come through. Now we wait for John Mayer, Sheryl Crow, and Arctic Monkeys.

This week at the nursing home:

#13- “The Essential Billy Joel”– 17,440 copies

#17- Rolling Stones “Hot Rocks– 16,335

#22- Creedence Clearwater Revival– 14,770

#26- Queen– 11,042

#27- Fleetwood Mac– 10,872

#32- Johnny Cash– 9,552

#35- Red Hot Chili Peppers – 9,441

#40 – Elvis Presley– 8,709
Old 08-08-2013, 03:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

What year is it again? A major price cut from iTunes last week pushed a bunch of Golden Oldies artists into the top 50 on the charts. So it makes sense that the charts today from hitsdailydouble.com show a surprising resurgence of old albums.

#17- Rolling Stones “Hot Rocks– 16,335

#22- Creedence Clearwater Revival– 14,770

#27- Fleetwood Mac– 10,872

#32- Johnny Cash– 9,552

#40 – Elvis Presley– 8,709

Hard to imagine any serious record collection
without those artists in them. Especially that
guy from Memphis. Whom is seriously due an
update (upgrade) from the RIAA.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Australian Record Charts, August 11, 2013

http://www.skynews.com.au/showbiz/ar...aspx?id=895555

Fleetwood Mac's 25 Years - The Chain has landed at No.6, while Michael Buble's former No.1 album To Be Loved has jumped 11 places to No.7.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

iTunes Canada albums

http://www.bloomberglaw.com/exp/ewog...I6ICIxIgp9Cg==

1. Blurred Lines, Robin Thicke

2. In a World Like This, Backstreet Boys

3. Stars Dance, Selena Gomez

4. Greatest Hits, Bon Jovi

5. The Wrong Side of Heaven and the Righteous Side of Hell, Vol. 1, Five Finger Death Punch

6. Magna Carta Holy Grail, Jay Z

7. Greatest Hits, Fleetwood Mac

8. Night Visions, Imagine Dragons

9. Greatest Hits, Neil Young

10. Greatest Hits: Chapter One, Kelly Clarkson

-- iTunes, week ending Aug. 4.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Senior Ledgie

Wow, they're doing well. I would like to see a new album on the charts, but that is a dream, hopefully for now.

" Mi dicono alla radio statti calmo statti buono,
non esser scalmanato stai tranquillo e fatti uomo,
ma io con la mia guerra voglio andare sempre avanti,
e costi quel che costi la vincerò non ci son santi. "
Old 08-16-2013, 03:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Australian Record Charts, August 11, 2013

http://www.skynews.com.au/showbiz/ar...aspx?id=895555

Fleetwood Mac's 25 Years - The Chain has landed at No.6, while Michael Buble's former No.1 album To Be Loved has jumped 11 places to No.7.
I did wonder if the spike in sales of The Chain - 25 Year Box Set was due to this CD being included in the http://www.ticketmaster.com.au and http://www.ticketek.com.au Fleetwood Mac Live 2013 "VIP ticket packages" which include premium seating and a goodies bag (which contains a copy of "The Chain - 25 Years").

It is a shame the band missed yet another opportunity to update The Chain Box Set. Maybe since "45 years" was missed a package similar to that released by Australian Band - Judith Durham and the Seekers - could be created in honour of the Mac's Golden Jubilee in 2017 (if they are still alive then - a tour would be great as well! )

The Eagles are doing a retrospective tour I heard which sounds really cool "The History of Eagles" Tour sometime around late 2013 through til 2014. If the Mac could be as organised and civil to each other as Eagles are: let's just say not only would they make more money with more regular gigs; they'd probably make more music too. For example, the B-52s play 50 dates per year, every single year. Bob Dylan launched a so-called Never-Ending Tour a long while back and I read he plays 100 shows per year. He is 72 years of age or thereabouts.

Anyway...great to see the Mac back in the charts. Just a shame that Extended Play didn't sell better, because I think a lot of people who would like it don't even know that it exists.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
Bob Dylan launched a so-called Never-Ending Tour a long while back and I read he plays 100 shows per year. He is 72 years of age or thereabouts.

Anyway...great to see the Mac back in the charts. Just a shame that Extended Play didn't sell better, because I think a lot of people who would like it don't even know that it exists.
yeah but Dylan's shows are pretty terrible lol. i guess they were never that great (i first saw him 20+ years ago and it was disappointing), but i almost fell asleep when i saw him few months ago. and my son didn't even realize that he played like a rolling stone or all along the watchtower.

completely agree with you on Extended Play. it would not sell at all if itunes didn't have it on the front page that first week.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-17-2013, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
yeah but Dylan's shows are pretty terrible lol. i guess they were never that great (i first saw him 20+ years ago and it was disappointing), but i almost fell asleep when i saw him few months ago. and my son didn't even realize that he played like a rolling stone or all along the watchtower.

completely agree with you on Extended Play. it would not sell at all if itunes didn't have it on the front page that first week.
I'm not a fan of Bob Dylan's vocals! He cannot sing well.

I am a fan of Dylan's writing. He is one of the greatest lyricists there is. And I think it is safe to say many of Dylan's fans support him because of his political views and writing style rather than his singing or playing. I like his new-ish song Duquene Whistle (unsure of the spelling there, sorry) from Tempest album.

Honestly, I believe Fleetwood Mac don't care whether or not their new music sells. They are probably content to play the same show Over and Over (oops...shame that's not in the setlist ) for the next 20 years if they live that long. The money will continue to keep on rollin in. So Mick's happy. Stevie's happy. John's thrilled - he can buy another fancy car and a few more yachts. But Lindsey might be disappointed if Fleetwood Mac do not ever make another studio album. Don't know, but that's my hunch.

I am anxiously awaiting what I know is coming next from Fleetwood Mac (I'm 90% sure anyway):

Extended Play: Act II
1. On with the Show
2. Is it Right
3. Space Needle
4. Lay Down for Free
5. In My World
6. Temporary One (studio cut)

Or something similar. The remaining songs from the Buckingham, Fleetwood & McVie recording sessions (track names 1,2,4,5 are sourced from a thread posted in 2012 on The Ledge where a fan accessed the song names Lindsey has registered with some recording agency in America). Plus a Trouble in Shangri-La outtake by Stevie Nicks, Space Needle. And maybe finally we will get the studio cut of Temporary One. Another lazy effort from Stevie and some great new music from Buckingham accompanied by the greatest rhythm section in rock music history.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Australian, August 18, 2013

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226699389739

Fleetwood Mac's album 25 Years - The Chain is at No.4, while their 1988 Greatest Hits' collection has jumped 58 places to No.8.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

August 27, 2013

http://au.news.yahoo.com/latest/a/-/...of-aria-chart/

Fleetwood Mac's 25 Years - The Chain rises to a new peak of No.3 but their Greatest Hits has dropped from No.8 to No.21.