Senior Ledgie

Default Mick's Photography Exhibit Toronto

http://m.thetelegram.com/Living/Ente...t-in-Toronto/1
Old 10-02-2014, 02:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Crave Online by Jennifer Cox, September 30, 2014

http://www.craveonline.com/lifestyle...xhibit-toronto

Mick Fleetwood Launches Photo Exhibit In Toronto

Drummer and founder of Fleetwood Mac will showcase 30 of his works.

Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac fame is launching a photography exhibit at Liss Gallery in Toronto – the drummer and founding member of the band will have his works showcased from Wednesday until October 31st.

The show is entitled “Reflections” and will include 30 of the musician’s photos. In a statement (as reported by The Canadian Press), Fleetwood says each piece has “a distinct and personal story” reflecting his life, roots and passions, particularly nature. The England native, who lives in Maui, will be at the Toronto gallery for a private reception on October 17th.

Fleetwood, who enjoyed much success with the award-winning Fleetwood Mac, also had a successful solo career and is a published author. The band, made up of Stevie Knicks, Lindsey Buckingham, John McVie, and Christine McVie, who recently reconvened, are still performing, with a show coming up in September in Minneapolis.

“I think it’s about getting your house in order, without being overly heavy,” he told Blackstone (CBS News). “The reality is, I’m sitting here, I’m 67 years old, I’m certainly not planning on leaving anytime that I know of, but you do see the picture in a different way just because you’re older.”
Old 10-02-2014, 09:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

The band, made up of Stevie Knicks, Lindsey Buckingham, John McVie, and Christine McVie, who recently reconvened, are still performing, with a show coming up in September in Minneapolis.
I guess Stevie is a New York basketball player in her spare time. No wonder she doesn't have any time to record with them!
Old 10-07-2014, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Wow, click on the photo. Mick is really looking lean. I bet he wouldn't have lost so much weight if he hadn't been sharing that house and trainer with Christine. These seventy-year olds could run leaps around me]

http://www.timescolonist.com/enterta...lery-1.1416058

Mick Fleetwood nervous about new photography exhibition in Toronto gallery

Laura Kane / The Canadian Press October 6, 2014 Times Columnist

TORONTO - Mick Fleetwood may be a founding member of one of the most beloved rock bands of all time, but that doesn't make him immune to nerves.

His collection of hand-painted photographs, "Reflections," is now on display at the Liss Gallery in Toronto. The acclaimed drummer says he finds it "nerve-wracking" to expose another side of himself as an artist.

"The music world, my whole life has been there. I know now, at 67 years old, that I'm OK at playing drums," he said in a telephone interview.

"I pretty much know that people love Fleetwood Mac... I don't really know whether someone's going to like a picture that I've had the balls to put on a wall and say that I've done it."

"Reflections" features more than 30 photos taken by the Grammy Award-winning musician, some with hand-painted details added by other artists. Fleetwood will attend a private reception at the Yorkville gallery on Oct. 17 before the exhibition closes at the end of the month.

The collection — all of which is available for purchase — includes photos taken in the Wiltshire countryside near Salisbury and in Fleetwood's more recent home of Maui. The England native moved his 90-year-old mother to Hawaii about seven years ago and decided to document the journey.

"I wanted to remember that time. I wanted mum to take some of the country that she lived in with her," he said. "I wanted these pictures of the river and the trees and all the lovely roads and things around my mother's house... So I took these photographs to make a chronicle of what that had meant to our family."

Fleetwood has been a shutterbug since the late 1960s, when bandmate John McVie introduced him to photography. Later, when members of Fleetwood Mac shared a home, McVie built a dark room in the house. (One of McVie's photos graces the cover of the band's 1972 album "Bare Trees.")

"I'm the one who's got probably more photographs of this band's candid history," said Fleetwood. "And that's how it started, just snapping pictures of all the lovely places we travelled to, and gigs and moments, just like anyone who gets into doing family photography."

He started taking his hobby more seriously about 12 years ago, but only began showing his photos in local Maui galleries after friends pestered him to do it. The Toronto launch of "Reflections" marks his first exhibition outside of Hawaii.

"I'm sure it's to do with my dyslexic childhood hangover, where the confidence factor is always looming in the background, saying, 'Can you really do this?'" mused Fleetwood.

"A lot of people don't do things because they don't want to be rejected, which is human nature," he added. "But what we tend not to like to hear, especially with our friends, is 'Why wouldn't you do that? You could've.' Would've, could've, should've... If you find something to do that is some form of creative outlet, I think it's really healthy to say, 'Why not?'"

Fleetwood and McVie founded Fleetwood Mac in 1967 with McVie's then-wife Christine joining in 1970. After Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joined in 1974, the band released their eponymous hit album the following year. "Rumours," issued in 1977, is often hailed as one of the best rock albums of all time.

The ever-modest drummer says his main job in Fleetwood Mac has been "to keep the band together and to find new people to put in it over the years."

"That's fair enough to say that's what I did outside of playing. I've organized this funny stage known as Fleetwood Mac and then went along with everyone else on this lovely ride," he said.

"If you look at the songwriters, like Lindsey, Stevie or now Christine, they take responsibility for writing a song. I pretty much never did that... (The photo exhibition) is a version of me writing a song. I have to take responsibility for it myself."

The band recently kicked off a sold-out U.S. arena tour with Christine, who played keyboards and sang in the band before leaving in 1998. Fleetwood said the shows so far have been "unbelievable."

"We were out on the road a little over a year and a half ago, not that long ago, without Christine. We toured all over the world. It's always amazing. We have fantastic audiences all over the world and we're blessed," he said.

"But having Christine back in this band, it is literally mind-blowing. From a level where you go, 'Oh my God, people still love this band so much.' It's gone (to) a level like you can't even imagine. I didn't know there was such a level of enthusiasm.

"They're going literally bananas when we walk on that stage. They're so happy that she is back in this band."
Old 10-07-2014, 06:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montclare View Post
I guess Stevie is a New York basketball player in her spare time. No wonder she doesn't have any time to record with them!
Would have been worse if they spelled it Nix.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
Would have been worse if they spelled it Nix.
That happened in another article I posted last week: Nix. Crazy! It's the one where Thandie Newton talked about Stevie.

Michele
Old 10-17-2014, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

October 17, 20147:44 am

http://globalnews.ca/news/1619873/mi...ber-behaviour/

Mick Fleetwood weighs in on U2 album furor, Bieber behaviour

By John R. Kennedy Global News

TORONTO — Rock icon Mick Fleetwood said Thursday he feels badly for Irish band U2, who sparked a furor when its Songs of Innocence album was automatically uploaded to Apple users’ devices.

“The only thing wrong about it is apparently people said, ‘I actually don’t want to be given something.’ It’s like giving free tickets outside a concert — they think there’s something wrong with the tickets,” Fleetwood said in Toronto.

“So, it was a bold move and it just didn’t quite get the kudos that one would have imagined, so go figure.”

In an interview with Maurie Sherman of the Roz & Mocha Show on KiSS 92.5, Fleetwood added: “There’s always something wrong with something that’s free and I think they may be suffering from a little bit of that.”

Earlier this week, U2 singer Bono apologized publicly for the surprise album drop.

Fleetwood, 67, was also asked what he would say to Canadian pop star Justin Bieber and other young music stars who find themselves making headlines for bad choices and behaviour.

“The only advice you can give about that type of burnout is that [Bieber] considers himself quite lucky and I wouldn’t advocate that you rely on just getting lucky,” said Fleetwood.

“I would say take stock and beware of that particular beast that can really take on a whole sense of control of your life, therefore you don’t have the life that you could have. And it’s really that simple.”

Fleetwood attended an exhibition of his photographs at Liss Gallery on Thursday (Reflections will be on display until the end of the month) and will perform with Fleetwood Mac at the Air Canada Centre on Friday.

The band plays in Ottawa Oct. 26, Winnipeg on Nov. 10, Saskatoon on Nov. 12, Calgary on Nov. 14, Edmonton on Nov. 15, and Vancouver on Nov. 18.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
October 17, 20147:44 am

http://globalnews.ca/news/1619873/mi...ber-behaviour/

Mick Fleetwood weighs in on U2 album furor, Bieber behaviour

By John R. Kennedy Global News

TORONTO — Rock icon Mick Fleetwood said Thursday he feels badly for Irish band U2, who sparked a furor when its Songs of Innocence album was automatically uploaded to Apple users’ devices.

“The only thing wrong about it is apparently people said, ‘I actually don’t want to be given something.’ It’s like giving free tickets outside a concert — they think there’s something wrong with the tickets,” Fleetwood said in Toronto.

“So, it was a bold move and it just didn’t quite get the kudos that one would have imagined, so go figure.”

In an interview with Maurie Sherman of the Roz & Mocha Show on KiSS 92.5, Fleetwood added: “There’s always something wrong with something that’s free and I think they may be suffering from a little bit of that.”

Earlier this week, U2 singer Bono apologized publicly for the surprise album drop.

Fleetwood, 67, was also asked what he would say to Canadian pop star Justin Bieber and other young music stars who find themselves making headlines for bad choices and behaviour.

“The only advice you can give about that type of burnout is that [Bieber] considers himself quite lucky and I wouldn’t advocate that you rely on just getting lucky,” said Fleetwood.

I would say take stock and beware of that particular beast that can really take on a whole sense of control of your life, therefore you don’t have the life that you could have. And it’s really that simple.”

Fleetwood attended an exhibition of his photographs at Liss Gallery on Thursday (Reflections will be on display until the end of the month) and will perform with Fleetwood Mac at the Air Canada Centre on Friday.

The band plays in Ottawa Oct. 26, Winnipeg on Nov. 10, Saskatoon on Nov. 12, Calgary on Nov. 14, Edmonton on Nov. 15, and Vancouver on Nov. 18.
i liked what he had to say. always liked that from both Mick and LB - not afraid to go against the popular / mass opinions for the fear that it will make themselves unpopular in turn, not kicking people when they are down (unlike some other members of their band like to do) but offer understanding and advice instead.

what Mick said about new U2 and also what Bono said apologizing about it fits with a larger context that Lindsey brought up in his http://espn.go.com/espnradio/grantla...er?id=11715408 interview - that they just wanted their songs to be heard so gave them away for free, kinda like Lindsey said that he doesn't regret rolling his solo songs under FM brand because he wants them heard.

although i love having Lindsey's solo stuff as our / solo fans little secret that others just don't get, of course it does make sense that you want more people to hear what you worked on.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-17-2014, 10:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mick Fleetwood: Current tour a 'special moment' for Fleetwood Mac

'This is me, putting my nuts on the line' – drummer to launch photography exhibit in Toronto this weekend

By Jim Slotek, QMI Agency, Edmonton Sun, October 17, 2014

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/10/1...-fleetwood-mac

Two weeks ago, in a phone interview from New York, Mick Fleetwood could not hide his disappointment.

The dismay was not with the Fleetwood Mac reunion show there. These have been hugely-gratifying love-fests, (the first full-member tour by the band since 1997, it hits various Canadian cities over the next several weeks, starting with Toronto Saturday).

Rather, Fleetwood-the-nature-photographer was chagrined at being as yet unable to capture on film the anticipated glory of leaves changing colour.

“I went running through Central Park and the leaves haven’t changed at all,” the 67-year-old Fleetwood Mac drummer complained. “Maybe one or two trees. I know it happens very quickly, almost overnight. Boom.

“It is beautiful and I hope to get some shots up there in Canada.”

Fleetwood, who lives on the island of Maui these days, is using the tour partly as a coming-out party for gallery showings of his hand-painted original photos, including one at Toronto’s Liss Gallery.

“I’ve had these shows in Maui for years, some hotels have them in their lobbies, and people there have a fond level of appreciation. The outside world really doesn’t know much about it,” says Fleetwood.

“So this is me, putting my nuts on the line. It’s exciting. I suppose there’ll be some reviews. And I’ll know if everybody thinks it’s just a bunch of s--- or not. I’m hoping that’s not the case.”

In an ironic way, his photography is tied into the history of Fleetwood Mac. “I got my first non-snap camera in 1968 just after the band had formed. I do remember that John McVie had a very grand camera. John is quietly a very good photographer. And the urge to get a decent camera was based on if-he’s-got-one-I-want-one, more than art at the time.”

Interestingly, Fleetwood doesn’t exhibit behind-the-scenes pictures of the band itself.

“That is funny, and I’ve never thought much about that. Stevie (Nicks) has a show coming up, a Polaroid show in New York while we’re here. She’s never done an exhibition and I’m going to support her. And that is very much her road stuff she took. Mine is very detached from anything to do with what I do.”

Over time, photography began to gratify Fleetwood in ways music didn’t. “Photography is something I can take responsibility for in total. I’ve been in a band for nearly 50 years, surrounded by incredibly talented people – part of the support team, by nature of my being a percussionist.

“Photography is the nearest thing to me writing a song and taking responsibility. I don’t get that in Fleetwood Mac. I was not the songwriter. I was the band gatekeeper.”

Gatekeeper/peacemaker/negotiator is a role Fleetwood takes seriously. He was not usually directly involved in the various feuds, romantic entanglements and complications that have plagued the band over the years. And he was instrumental in luring Christine McVie back into the fold, after 17 years away.

Fleetwood, who is releasing a new autobiography entitled Play On, doesn’t necessarily feel past bad blood is best forgotten. “Getting older puts things in perspective that were not in perspective. That’s a better approach than shoving it all under the matt and saying, ‘It’s all a bunch of chaos I can’t dream of getting into.’

“Y’know what? Look at us. A bunch of crazy people, often quite dysfunctional, horribly in love, which led to things that have sometimes been hard to handle.

“It’s not just business. This is a bunch of people trying to make it work. This is for sure a special moment for this band. And how cool is it that Christine’s there to go the last few miles with us?

“It puts in perspective the tittle-tattle that sometimes loomed really big, unnecessarily. Something bigger has spoken. People can take something from that.”
Old 11-30-2014, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nov 29 2014 18:02:55

By Michael Granberry The Dallas Morning News
Nov. 29--For those of a certain age, Fleetwood Mac was an irresistible band. In 1977, its album Rumours lingered at No. 1 on the Top 40 charts for more than seven months. Founded in London in 1967, the band bears the name of two original members, drummer Mick Fleetwood and John McVie.

Now 67, Fleetwood and his band mates -- McVie, Lindsey Buckingham, Christine McVie and Stevie Nicks -- will launch a national tour in February. Before that, Fleetwood has an art show in Dallas.

Like rocker Bryan Adams, who convened an arresting exhibition of photography at the Goss-Michael Foundation awhile back, Fleetwood is also a photographer. His "Reflections: The Mick Fleetwood Collection" will be Dec. 11 through Dec. 13 at Samuel Lynne Galleries on Dragon Street in the Dallas Design District. Fleetwood will meet with VIP guests on the 13th.

"When I take a photograph, I am primarily trying to capture a feel and moment, and I frame the photograph in such a way to convey it," Fleetwood says in a prepared statement. "As music has thus far defined my career, this collection of my work titled 'Reflections' defines my thoughts through my art.

"Each one of the works housed in this collection has a distinct and personal story, one that reflects my life, my roots, my journey and my passions ... who I was and who I am."

If you can't make it to Paris or to Fleetwood's London at the moment, you can get a heady taste of both at two area shows.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Interview: Mick Fleetwood on photography, Fleetwood Mac

Ed Masley, The Arizona Republic | azcentral.com December 5, 2014

http://www.azcentral.com/story/enter...-mac/19896583/

The Fleetwood Mac lineup that gave the world "Rumours" is headed to Phoenix on Wednesday, Dec. 10, with Christine McVie back on board for her first tour of duty since her 1998 departure. And Mick Fleetwood is as thrilled as anyone to see the soft-rock dream team back together — something no one in that dream team thought would happen.

"But she came back and we are now very complete," Fleetwood says. "The chemistry is how it should be. It's truly amazing. I consider it a real pinnacle in this band's history, and thus the people in it, including me. I'm overjoyed that we're doing what we're doing. We are intact."

Having said that, what he'd really like to talk about is the exhibition of his photographs at DeRubeis Fine Art of Metal in Scottsdale, where Fleetwood is hosting a private reception from 6 to 9 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 9.

The drummer credits his father with having piqued his interest in photography.

"We traveled a lot because that was my childhood," Fleetwood says, "so I've got muscle memory of someone who enjoyed documenting things that were gonna be here and then gone, maybe forever, unless captured. We didn't really have, as a family, any money, but looking back on it, Dad always had a nice camera. So he took the time to do it."

Fleetwood started taking photographs while on the road with Fleetwood Mac, if purely as what he would call a snap shooter.

"I would always be the one accused in the band of being a nuisance," he says, "taking pictures of everything."

And John McVie has no one but himself to blame for that. The bassist bought a camera first, when the British rockers started "doing well in the late '60s," Fleetwood says, "or what we thought was doing well." And at that point, "it was like, 'If he's got one of those, I'm getting one of those.' "

So he bought a decent camera, like his father had before him, and started taking pictures on the road, "just documenting my life and being annoying."

Much later, he says, he started to focus on still life and nature photography, following the instincts that had served him well in music.

"I started thinking, 'Well, what's gonna turn me on?' " he says. "Which is, in truth, how I approach my music, to be driven by a form of passion, a form of romance, versus coming at it hugely technically."

Fleetwood first allowed his photographs to be exhibited about 10 years ago.

"A friend of mine in Maui said, 'You ought to show these,' " he recalls. "And like a lot of people who do things for fun, they go, 'Well, no one's gonna want to see those.' Now, when I hear people say that, I go, 'No, no, no. You ought to do it. It'll be fun. The worst that's gonna happen is someone will say it's a bunch of crap.' "

Photography isn't the only extra-musical creative outlet he has put out there to be judged. In late October, he published a memoir, "Play On: Now, Then and Fleetwood Mac: The Autobiography," co-written with Anthony Bozza.

"Some of it was sobering and painful," Fleetwood says. "But once you get over a certain dialogue with yourself, which usually happens, quite frankly, when you get a little older, it's all fair game. I think the lesson to be learned is not to be sitting there full of remorse and shame and all those awful words that don't serve any purpose ultimately. What they should be is words like objective, reflective, taking responsibility, trying to be more honest with yourself."

While working on the book with Bozza, Fleetwood started sifting through the archives he has accumulated.

"We got into thousands of pictures that still need sorting out," he recalls. "And I showed him some footage that I had commissioned during the 'Rumours' tour. We were in the Far East right in the middle of all that touring behind the 'Rumours' album. So it was in the day, in what really changed this band's history and the people in it forever."

There were ground rules, Fleetwood says. "Not to be all the blood and guts of Fleetwood Mac and all the drug stories and all that. It's in there because it's known anyhow and it just would look very odd if it's not in there. But what I tried to do was to put it in perspective. And where there is sensationalist stuff, I tried to have a sense of humor in an English way and speak to it mainly from my own perspective."

In the end, the book is more about Fleetwood's personal journey.

"If it stopped tomorrow, you could never separate Mick Fleetwood and Fleetwood Mac," he says. "It would be impossible. Which is neither bad nor good. It's just a fact. There are several people that have come and gone in Fleetwood Mac — and come back to it — that can say, 'Hey, I spent 10, 12 years on my private furlough away from Fleetwood Mac.' I can't. And I didn't.

"The point I'm making is it's forever just a fact that my adult life has really been completely dedicated to being in this band."
Old 12-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Denver Post Fleetwood Mac drummer steps out front with photo show

http://www.denverpost.com/entertainm...ont-photo-show

By Ray Mark Rinaldi Denver Post Fine Arts Critic Posted: 12/05/2014 12:01:00

Longtime fans of Fleetwood Mac, familiar with the band's legendary history of parties, road trips, breakups and makeups, might expect an exhibit of founder Mick Fleetwood's photography to be full of rock 'n' roll pandemonium.

Some trashed hotel rooms, some backstage revelry, maybe something of bandmates Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham duking it out in the old days.

But really, it's about flowers and swans and country roads, the wild brush of Hawaii where he lives and the funky detritus of the island's free-spirited inhabitants.

Mick Fleetwood, at 67, has developed an affinity for dew-covered roses, wild mushrooms and peaceful streams, and he's turned his hobby of photographing them into a side business. Accompanying Fleetwood Mac's concert at the Pepsi Center Dec. 12 is the founding drummer's photo show at Fascination St. Fine Art in Cherry Creek.

Fleetwood, who has spent the better part of four decades as support staff for his mega-platinum band, says taking center stage as a photographer is a bit awkward.

"I don't sing. I don't write songs. I play drums, and by now I know I do it pretty damn well," he said by phone from a tour stop in Ottawa. "I'm in the support team, the rhythm section. That's my job."

He knows there's some risk invovled. Lots of musicians fancy themselves crossover artists. Some are serious about it, some just vain, and fans are happy to call out the pretenders. "Where the skittles fall, they fall," he said.

But he likes his photos. They're personal, and he's eager to share. Some, mostly shots of gardens, he took in England before he moved his elderly mother to Hawaii. He wanted her to have some scenes around her new house that reminded her of her roots.

Others are from jaunts into the open spaces near his more-recent tropical home. Abandoned vehicles and ancient crosses mix with shots of brilliant green flora.

Fleetwood has been honing his photo skills for years. He was introduced to the art by bandmate John McVie and "started making what would be called annoying snapshots" of his fellow musicians.

But he grew serious about it, acquiring better equipment and learning how to use it.

His current work is fully composed and far from snapshot material. Fleetwood makes the most of the lines that form in his backyard landscapes.

He also takes his vision further than simple photography, applying paint and glaze on top of some works to bring out shapes and colors. One field of flowers has dabs of pink and white on top, popping the scene off the canvas.

The basic prints sell for under $2,000. An embellished piece might go for around $6,000. Fleetwood, the showman, has a unique way of signing some works, applying a paint-dipped handprint on strategic corners.

As art goes, those prices are neither cheap nor expensive, and it's hard to imagine the drummer/photographer is cashing in. His band tours relentlessly in major arenas. It has sold more than 100 million records. He doesn't need the money.

He does like the attention, though, and he'll show up in person Dec. 11 to push the goods. He'll also chat about the work with fans, something that, he says, keeps him going as an artist. "I think it's fun to be able to talk about how this shot or that shot came about," he said.

Ray Mark Rinaldi: 303-954-1540, rrinaldi@denverpost.com or twitter.com/rayrinaldi

MICK FLEETWOOD PHOTOGRAPHY EXHIBIT. Fascination St. Fine Art presents recent work by the founder and drummer of the band Fleetwood Mac. Through Dec. 26. Mick Fleetwood will also appear at the gallery to greet fans from 7:30 to 9 p.m. on Dec. 11, prior to the band's concert at Pepsi Center on Dec. 12. 315 Detroit St. The gallery is free but register for the appearance in advance by calling. 303-333-1566 or fascinationst.com.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:06 PM
bombaysaffires
This message has been deleted by bombaysaffires.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I haven't seen any reviews that actually offer a critique or even a more specific description of the photos themselves… how well done are they?? Inquiring minds want to know!
Some of these articles have pictures of the pieces, if you can tell anything from that.

Michele
Old 12-08-2014, 09:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The images he's showing on Dec 11th:

http://www.fascinationst.com/mick_fleetwood

Some are kinda good others are just snaps. The power of fame.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Broward Palm Beach New Times

Mick Fleetwood on His Photography: "Doing It for Myself and Doing It for Fun"

By Lee ZimmermanWed., Dec. 10 2014 at 8:56 AM

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/co...etwood_mac.php

As he approaches the start of his sixth decade making music, Mick Fleetwood's status as a superstar is beyond dispute.

As one of two standard-bearers of the rock band Fleetwood Mac he cofounded some 48 years ago, he can lay claim to two of the biggest selling albums of all time -- Fleetwood Mac and Rumours -- and to helping launch the careers of some of England's greatest guitarists -- Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer, and Danny Kirwan among them. Indeed, despite the steady entry and exodus of key players, he's never wavered in his commitment to continue the group's musical mission. The band's new tour, celebrating the return of seminal member Christine McVie, is a testament to both his passion and perseverance.

Lately, though, Fleetwood has furthered his artistic ambitions with a series of photo exhibitions showcasing his lush scenic landscapes. He's currently represented in several galleries around the country, including an exhibit in Fort Lauderdale's Wentworth Galleries that continues through December 21.

Fleetwood attributes his initial interest in photography to time spent on holiday with his family as a child and particularly to the influence of his father, "the boring snapshot taker." In recent years, he's expanded his artistic ambitions, turning a casual pastime into an ongoing enterprise.

"If you really have a passion for it, you'll find a way to reconnect," he said by phone during a rare respite in the band's tour. "When I was asked to show my pictures, I was just doing it for myself and doing it for fun. I wondered why anyone would want to look at my pictures. Then the person who was nurturing me said, 'Because they're really good, Mick.' With music or anything that's creative, that's all you need. You don't have to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. If you're enjoying what you're doing, you may be surprised. You may have something that people will actually enjoy."

Having garnered this attention, Fleetwood has found a new mission beyond his muse, one he hopes will inspire others.

"With this little journey of showing my pictures, I've had great conversations with people," Fleetwood says. "I consider it a nice opportunity to talk about 'the creative process,' which I firmly believe in. Without that, I would have been in a whole heap of ****. If I hadn't become a musician and had my parents say, 'It's a pretty odd thing to do, Mick, to go out and bang a drum, but if that's what you really want to do, we'll support you,' I'm not sure what I would have done. So in talking about this, maybe someone out there will think, 'Well, he had a go at it -- why don't I?' "

Of course, Fleetwood's also aware that at least part of the reason his art gets attention is due to his famous name. "Yeah, hey, I'm very quietly aware of that, but I also got over that too," he insists. "There's a good and healthy double-edged sword here. I know there are people walking into that gallery to look at my pictures because they know about Mick Fleetwood the rock star. But I also know I've put my ass on the line and they might think it's a whole bunch of ****. [laughs] I'm already quietly objective and in good humor about what I'm doing. I've found that people like the work. There are people that say, 'Wow! I didn't realize I'd come in and look at a whole show of mostly very calm, very classy, and very poetic pictures. Frankly, I thought I'd see dogs with their bottoms hanging off chandeliers or something.' And that's kind of nice when they find it's something else, another side of whatever this creature is. That it's just me."