User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-07-2005, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadegypsy
but unlike McCartneys I find few of Chris's songs that have much beneth the surface...so I don't rank her with the previously mentioned writters.
i actually think theres alot more to some of chris's stuff than she lets on, if you really look, but that might just be me, but even so if you look, there could be deeper undercurrants, maybe not as deep, but about her personally rather than like a global scale. anyway, thats just me.

oh and about the whole mitchal thing, its partly because i just cannot stand the woman, and i just dont think shes very good!
Old 11-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySongbird
oh and about the whole mitchal thing, its partly because i just cannot stand the woman, and i just dont think shes very good!
I can understand just not liking her because you don't like her voice or her music or something, but how does one think Christine is a great lyricist but not Joni Mitchell?
Old 11-07-2005, 10:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks Jyqm, I was having the same thought...It would be like saying Dylans music is no good b/c his voice is to ones dislike...

Although Joni can be an aquired taste, when I first heard her I didn't like how high her voice was, then one day I just bought a record to see what all the fuss was about (her first rec I think) and that was it...especially after I picked up Blue and heard River...

An Gypsysongbird, yes there may be some deeper undercurrents to Chris's songs, I do adore Songbird and You'll Never Make Me Cry b/c they seem to go beyond the fluff, but on a whole I don't think the songs try to go beyond the pop feel. In the Mac Chris I think is the most surface writter, not that that's bad, it just different...Stevie and Lindseys songs can have many different layers to them...but they are not nearly as talented at writting a great pop song as evidenced by SYW (In fact Stevies best pop song Dreams isn't nearly as catchy as most of Chris's, despite it hitting #1).

The best songwritters can do both quite well (Dylan with Blowing in the Wind, a very accessable song, and Rolling Stone a very complex song) or Joni with "Turn Me on I'm a Radio" to Blue or River (both have a bit more then surface meaning). In truth that's why I would be hesitant to rate any of the Mac writters as "the best songwritters." Nicks comes the closest for me since on her best songs she can be very accessable and yet still meaningful, SS, Gypsy, Dreams, GDW, Sara, EO17...genreal public can love them, poets can analyze them...I can't see a poet analyzing any of Chris's lyrics...Lindsey perhaps, but he gets so mirred in his own angst that he sometimes misses the connection.
"May the Force be with you..."~Star Wars
Old 11-08-2005, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Christine only writes about what she feels comfortable with.

She's said herself that she's a "pretty basic love-song writer".

she's also said after the release of ITM that she's tried to write songs with more of a political edge but she sounds like a "pretentious twot"

Gail
Old 11-08-2005, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
I can understand just not liking her because you don't like her voice or her music or something, but how does one think Christine is a great lyricist but not Joni Mitchell?
i dont know, i know i may be the only one but its just my personal opinion, i dont know how my brain works! it just does somehow
Old 11-08-2005, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia
http://www.therockradio.com/2005/11/...riter-hof.html

Wednesday, November 02, 2005
Pete Townshend for songwriter HoF
The list of nominees for the Songwriters Hall Of Fame class of 2006 is loaded with Rock And Roll Hall Of Famers. The "Performing" section of the ballot includes Who leader Pete Townshend, Neil Young, Kinks leader Ray Davies, Steely Dan's Walter Becker and Donald Fagen, current and former Fleetwood Mac members Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, and Christine McVie, and Felix Cavaliere and Eddie Brigati from the Rascals. Also being considered as performers are Leon Russell, Prince, country stars Mac Davis and Merle Haggard, and singer-songwriters Janis Ian and Joe South.

There's also a "Non-Performing" list that includes Steve Winwood and Eric Clapton collaborator Will Jennings, Hair composers Galt McDermott and James Rado, "Philly Soul" architect Thom Bell, and Motown veterans Henry Cosby and Sylvia Moy, among others.

Voters can choose two from the performing list and three from the non-performers, for a total of five. Ballots must be returned by November 15th, and the winners will be inducted next year.
I really, really hope Stevie gets this and I'd love to see Chris get it too.