User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
... Angus young? What is that? A cut of steak?
that's how he treats his strings. You know AC/DC. Admit it Sir Wellinformed Eloquence

Old 03-09-2006, 05:36 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up
And the utter crap continues. The best is as personal and subjective as The most favourite. Stop trying to know better. You guitarplayers think that you "own" guitarplaying. Bull. Without listeners who get TOUCHED by what you all do you don't have ANYTHING!. So pay respect to the listener who don't know **** about guitarplaying who says; The best guitarist in the world is the one makes me cry/shiver/feelhappy/hurt. Stop lecturing. I've been exposed to more guitarists than you, mylittledemon, because I'm a musicabsorber since I was 7. That's 33 years of intensive and aware experience in perception and it is time for you selfindulged musicians to bow deeply for the people without whom your existence is equal to ziltch: your public. They're worth it. Fockin' h*ll.
I would agree with you in the sense that your FAVORITE is the also the "best" usually in most cases. I just always correct myself and say that Lindsey is my favorite so I don't come across all one sided with my love of Buckingham's style. There are so many other guitarists that move me, emotionally, like Lindsey does. Probably more so out there. The Edge from U2 (for me) for sure. I suppose I should have said MY OPINION was that Lindsey is not the best, but he's my favorite. I guess I didn't make that clear.

I never challenged your knowledge of music over mine. Just because you've been a music absorber for 30 years doesn't make you any more of an expert on music than I am at the tender age of 27. That's like saying you know more about which peanut butter brands are superior to others. It's subjective, and just because you've been around longer doesn't mean that knowledge accompanies it. I say all this as humbly as possible, knowing full well I'm not the greatest, or anyone's favorite guitar player for that matter.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon
I never challenged your knowledge of music over mine. Just because you've been a music absorber for 30 years doesn't make you any more of an expert on music than I am at the tender age of 27.
Yes you did challenge my knowledge over yours. And I am not only talking to you. ChiliD does the same thing.

For me, lindsey is the best. You said that anyone who state that has not been exposed to enough guitarplayers. I think that's bull. Of course is my age not the norm. I stated that to make clear how ridiculous it is that The best would be something else, maybe on objective criteria or some other nonexisting norms , than your most favourite. .

By the way, anyone who states that lindsey is his favourite at the tender age of 27 is a clairvoyant in my book .

eh.... I hate peanutbutter. I did not absorb that for 33 years. But if I did, I'd call myself an expert don't you agree?

Last edited by shackin'up; 03-09-2006 at 06:30 PM..
Old 03-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Ledgie

If we are going so far as saying that "best" is absolutely, 100% subjective, then there isn't much point in using the term. Whats the point in saying someone is "the best guitarist in the world" just because you personally like their style? if there's somebody who just started playing and is by regular standards, a terribleguitar player, but somebody with extremely little guitr background comes along and thinks theyre "the best", does it really mean anything? Does it ever mean anything to say it? The term implies that there is criteria and this person goes above and beyond. Just refrain from using it, like chiliD said. You favorite guitarist is one thing, but saying "The best guitarist in the world is the one makes me cry/shiver/feelhappy/hurt" like shackin'up said, is the same as saying "favorite". "Best" is an objective term, "favorite" is subjective. Am I wrong?
Old 03-09-2006, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester
If we are going so far as saying that "best" is absolutely, 100% subjective, then there isn't much point in using the term. Whats the point in saying someone is "the best guitarist in the world" just because you personally like their style? if there's somebody who just started playing and is by regular standards, a terribleguitar player, but somebody with extremely little guitr background comes along and thinks theyre "the best", does it really mean anything? Does it ever mean anything to say it? The term implies that there is criteria and this person goes above and beyond. Just refrain from using it, like chiliD said. You favorite guitarist is one thing, but saying "The best guitarist in the world is the one makes me cry/shiver/feelhappy/hurt" like shackin'up said, is the same as saying "favorite". "Best" is an objective term, "favorite" is subjective. Am I wrong?
I agree with you.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
ChiliD does the same thing
Yeah...but I know what I'm talking about.

Oh, and "tender age of 27" is not all that "tender" ..that's the "make or break" age for quite a few of our rock heroes. Hendrix, Joplin, Morrison, Cobain didn't make it past 27...and they were considered "in their prime"...not some "tender age".
Old 03-09-2006, 06:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester
"Best" is an objective term, "favorite" is subjective. Am I wrong?
yes. No offense, Chester. They are both subjective. What's an objective criterium for the best guitarplayer in the world? Everybody has to agree with one name if that was the case. And clearly that has NEVER been accomplished. There IS no best player in the world based on objective criteria.

objective criteria. contradiction in terms.

Old 03-09-2006, 06:39 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
y What's an objective criterium for the best guitarplayer in the world?
I wasn't talking about the best guitar player in the world. Simply the term best. I'm saying there can't be a "best" guitar player in the world becuase the word is objective. Only a favorite.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
yes. No offense, Chester. They are both subjective. What's an objective criterium for the best guitarplayer in the world? Everybody has to agree with one name if that was the case. And clearly that has NEVER been accomplished. There IS no best player in the world based on objective criteria.

objective criteria. contradiction in terms.
No. When you say "best", that implies there IS a concrete set of criteria involved. It is one of the most misused terms in the English language. 90% of the people use the term "Best" when they actually mean "Favorite".

There ISN'T a "best guitarist"...doesn't exist, because there IS no concrete set of criteria to determine who is actually the "BEST".

Chester...you beat me by a minute.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

mylildemon is THE BESTEST!
Old 03-09-2006, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
No. When you say "best", that implies there IS a concrete set of criteria involved. It is one of the most misused terms in the English language. 90% of the people use the term "Best" when they actually mean "Favorite".

There ISN'T a "best guitarist"...doesn't exist, because there IS no concrete set of criteria to determine who is actually the "BEST".

Chester...you beat me by a minute.
But you always state that there are "better" guitarists than Lindsey buckingham. That's using the same set of nonexisting criteria. In that case there is also no sense in using the word "good". I think Lindsey is the best. You may have another opinion, but don't put yourself on a higher level by saying I don't know anything about it. Because that is simply not true.

Old 03-09-2006, 06:54 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
In that case there is also no sense in using the word "good".
There is just as much sense saying "good" as there is saying "favorite". Theres plenty sense. Good doesn't imply in any way that you are declaring someone the absolute greatest ever to live. It's just a smaller version of favorite. Perfectly healthy and benign.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But you always state that there are "better" guitarists than Lindsey buckingham. That's using the same set of nonexisting criteria. In that case there is also no sense in using the word "good". I think Lindsey is the best. You may have another opinion, but don't put yourself on a higher level by saying I don't know anything about it. Because that is simply not true.
Well, I state that because I'M one of 'em. That's why I DO put myself on a higher level.

You're not going to let this go, are you? I'm laying down my sword. I give up. You win. You may now gloat.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, I state that because I'M one of 'em. That's why I DO put myself on a higher level.

You're not going to let this go, are you? I'm laying down my sword. I give up. You win. You may now gloat.
Oh come on now. That's not the Chili I know.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Cheap cheaper cheapest.

respond towards my arguments for once. You only quote the uninportant parts of my posts and therefore you don't discuss. I don't want to win. I want my opinion to be equally levelled in importance (or lack of it) as yours.

Last edited by shackin'up; 03-09-2006 at 07:40 PM..