User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Agreed. When Lindsey says band politics he means Stevie. (most of the time) the rest he means Mick.
But when he says Mick, that really stands for everyone. Mick is like the representative of everyone else. Mick makes it ok with the others. He smooths feathers. I mean, I don't think Lindsey goes around talking to them individually about certain stuff. I think he talks to Mick and Mick relays, piggy in the middle.

Michele
Old 01-29-2014, 12:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I for one am hoping her competitiveness will kick in and Stevie will feel compelled to come in with new material for this endeavor, like she did at the last minute on SYW when she asked for that extra month and went to Phoenix and came back with 4 new songs.
I hope she's motivated by a sense of history about this album.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-29-2014, 01:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie will contribute new songs, but even if she didn't, there's plenty of old stuff of hers they can use that's good.

But she will. Michele
Old 01-29-2014, 06:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I for one am hoping her competitiveness will kick in and Stevie will feel compelled to come in with new material for this endeavor, like she did at the last minute on SYW when she asked for that extra month and went to Phoenix and came back with 4 new songs.
Did Stevie actually bring in 4 new songs after her break?

The first new songs she brought in were "Destiny Rules", "Silver Girl", "Illume", "Say You Will" and "Thrown Down" - only 1 of which was an old song from the TISL sessions. These are the songs were hear demo's of in Destiny Rules when Stevie first shows up and the first set of songs we see being worked on.

Seems to me Stevie spent a month in Phoenix rumaging through the vault and brought in "Smile At You", "Running Through The Garden" and "Goodbye Baby" (all old songs) plus 1 new song, "Everybody Finds Out".

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Agreed. When Lindsey says band politics he means Stevie. (most of the time) the rest he means Mick.
Absolutely. I usually just substitute Stevie in my head whenever he mentions "the band."
Old 01-29-2014, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post

The first new songs she brought in were "Destiny Rules", "Silver Girl", "Illume", "Say You Will" and "Thrown Down" - only 1 of which was an old song from the TISL sessions. These are the songs were hear demo's of in Destiny Rules when Stevie first shows up and the first set of songs we see being worked on.

Seems to me Stevie spent a month in Phoenix rumaging through the vault and brought in "Smile At You", "Running Through The Garden" and "Goodbye Baby" (all old songs) plus 1 new song, "Everybody Finds Out".

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Stevie was still on tour when they started work on SYW, so she sent them the old stuff first. My guess is that she had those old songs in mind and then asked Lori or Karen to rummage through the vault to find them. (Based on how "Secret Love" emerged, it seems to be the way Stevie does things.)
Old 01-29-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
Stevie was still on tour when they started work on SYW, so she sent them the old stuff first. My guess is that she had those old songs in mind and then asked Lori or Karen to rummage through the vault to find them. (Based on how "Secret Love" emerged, it seems to be the way Stevie does things.)
She then wrote 4 new songs after that time period, correct?
Old 01-29-2014, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think that's how the story goes. She gave Lindsey 16 old songs. Then, in January or so she wrote 4 new ones in a month.

Michele
Old 01-29-2014, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong.
She says she brought 4 in the documentary. She walks into the house they recorded in and says she got no rest but she wrote 4 songs. I didn't say they recorded all 4, but she clearly says she's brought them 4 songs.

Prior to that she had given them a bunch of her old stuff but then decided she didn't want to only bring in old stuff, so asked them for an extra month ostensibly to rest after her solo tour, but she ended up working on new material.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I think that's how the story goes. She gave Lindsey 16 old songs. Then, in January or so she wrote 4 new ones in a month.

Michele
Not all the songs Stevie left with the band while she was on tour promoting TISL were ancient. We know that she pulled "Thrown Down" from TISL, because it was on a late 2000 TISL acetate, which had begun circulating among Stevie fans. The "Thrown Down" recording, commonly referred as the "wall of sound" version featuring Lindsey, came directly from that acetate. Also, Stevie was rumored to have recorded "Everybody Finds Out", along with "Smile At You" & "Goodbye Baby" @1999-2000 during the TISL sessions, because Stevie updated the copyright on these tunes, which most usually corrolates to recording a new version. So when Stevie referred to preferring her demos to the SYW final versions, she is probably referring to these TISL outtakes. "Illume", "Say You Will", Silver Girl", & "Destiny Rules" were specifically written for SYW, after Stevie finished her TISL tour.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh, right, sorry folks, I'm with you now. I thought you meant she brought in 4 new songs AFTER her first coming into the studio. My mistake.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
The "Thrown Down" recording, commonly referred as the "wall of sound" version featuring Lindsey, came directly from that acetate.
And, to my ears, the superior version that they should've released ahead of the album to stir up some buzz for the album.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
And, to my ears, the superior version that they should've released ahead of the album to stir up some buzz for the album.
In total agreement! Stevies TISL version is pure ear candy. She cut off her nose by trimming off the obvious 1st single & best track from her solo comeback, only for it to become completely ignored by the band on the SYW release!! Talk about missed opportunity. That one was huge!
Old 01-29-2014, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Indeed. In fact, as much as many like to talk about how Lindsey brings some kind of special magic to Stevie's songs when he gives them that 'Fleetwood mac sound', Thrown Down is a perfect example of the opposite.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 01-29-2014, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Indeed. In fact, as much as many like to talk about how Lindsey brings some kind of special magic to Stevie's songs when he gives them that 'Fleetwood mac sound', Thrown Down is a perfect example of the opposite.
Agreed... he totally slashed and burned a gorgeous song, and left the charred dismembered & mutilated bones as the finished product.