User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecalmsea View Post
2: While she is still publicly promoting the "In Your Dreams" documentary with Dave Sterwat and saying what a great time she had making the record with him, that personally she has become less thrilled with working with him again and is more open to having Lindsey produce a Mac album.
LOL, I seem to recall posting something to the effect that Stevie would eventually get sick of Dave too. It happens with everyone she works with -- or anyone she works with who has to give her direction, as a producer inevitably must. She must be a miserable person to work with at this point.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
At this point they might say screw it altogether because the live versions of the new tunes are plastered allover Youtube.

Again I hope it gets release in any form.
I would not be surprised if that weren't the killer. . . which everybody said was going to happen. smh

Also, could it be that articles recommending how FM can be saved (i.e., recording an actual album) have shamed them into holding back on releasing EP?

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 04-16-2013 at 05:13 PM..
Old 04-16-2013, 08:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Yeah, well I think Stevie has a history of changing her mind on things like that.
You may be the love of her life one second and the next you were just a drunken mistake.
I was thinking about this whole subject today while reading and listening to the Toronto comments. It doesn't sound like Stevie has soured on Dave at all.

Of course, the comments to the contrary were so second hand, we've no reason to give them credence. But if Lindsey did say it, it could be his (hopeful) perception. Or Stevie could have suggested that to him, just between the two of them, because maybe she thought he might appreciate a little change up in the, "It was the best experience I've ever had in my entire life," spiel, now and then.

Michele
Old 04-16-2013, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I tend to concur with Michele. If indeed these overheard comments were true (who can say for certain?), it's more than likely that Stevie might be attempting to placate Lindsey at this point. She may have simply given into the band's demands and decided to embark on an album with them. If this is the case, she knows that a harmonious working environment is ideal so any reassurance directed Lindsey's way would be a sensible move. I'm not suggesting she would be disingenuous - she probably is feeling closer to him these days than she has in many years, which could have altered her perception of what the making of another Mac album would be. Trotters crossed...
Old 04-16-2013, 09:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Honestly, if it is true that Stevie's cooled on working with Dave, I certainly wouldn't expect her to start saying it to the press while she's still promoting the film. Or ever, for that matter. Not that she wouldn't, but it's not a given - especially if she's just having a change of heart & doesn't have any real axe to grind.

Last edited by CADreaming; 04-16-2013 at 09:19 PM..
Old 04-16-2013, 09:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
I would not be surprised if that weren't the killer. . . which everybody said was going to happen. smh

Also, could it be that articles recommending how FM can be saved (i.e., recording an actual album) have shamed them into holding back on releasing EP?
Yes .Thats right about holding the 3 tunes for a complete album.I can go for that. I'm use to waiting after all of these years.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 04-16-2013, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Honestly, if it is true that Stevie's cooled on working with Dave, I certainly wouldn't expect her to start saying it to the press while she's still promoting the film. Or ever, for that matter. Not that she wouldn't, but it's not a given - especially if she's just having a change of heart & doesn't have any real axe to grind.
No, I wouldn't expect her to say it outright, but I'd expect the tone of her comments about Dave to change slightly or the enthusiasm to lessen. I mean during the SYW tour whether she and Lindsey were getting along or not was pretty transparent. The tone of her comments changed drastically. She didn't need to say that her feelings had changed or that they'd had a fight. You could tell it by what she didn't say and the tone of what she did say.

If she were mad at him, she'd continue to praise IYD I'm sure, but I don't think she'd be talking about maybe taking his advice about her future solo tours.

She's really not impenetrable when it comes to that kind of thing.

Michele
Old 04-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
No, I wouldn't expect her to say it outright, but I'd expect the tone of her comments about Dave to change slightly or the enthusiasm to lessen. I mean during the SYW tour whether she and Lindsey were getting along or not was pretty transparent. The tone of her comments changed drastically. She didn't need to say that her feelings had changed or that they'd had a fight. You could tell it by what she didn't say and the tone of what she did say.

If she were mad at him, she'd continue to praise IYD I'm sure, but I don't think she'd be talking about maybe taking his advice about her future solo tours.

She's really not impenetrable when it comes to that kind of thing.

Michele
That's what I mean though. She may not be mad at Dave to have decided against working with him. The wind blew... ya know? But I get what you're saying. We'll see what happens. I'm glad she's inspired to create - I don't care who with, prefer LB, but if not-I'm good with the war being over.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Delay

I have begun to wonder if Warner Bros is making a late run to get them back under contract for an album? No inside information, just thinking out loud.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfan View Post
I have begun to wonder if Warner Bros is making a late run to get them back under contract for an album? No inside information, just thinking out loud.
Or maybe Warner/Reprise didn't offer the band a satisfactory deal for an album contract, so they're using this EP talk as a negotiating tool? Perhaps that's why the EP hasn't surfaced... maybe Warner/Reprise took the bait, and they're back in negotiations?
Old 04-17-2013, 08:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I seriously doubt that anyone is falling over themselves trying to release a EP from Fleetwood Mac in 2013, especially given the abysmal commercial sales of IYD, SWS and OMS. Plus, without any concrete plans for recording new albums in the future, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to go through all of that administrative/legal mishigas just for a few songs... and nothing more.

I suspect that the release of the EP is dragging on because, without big label involvement, there really isn't anyone promoting it or pushing for its release. It's probably sitting around waiting for someone to figure out how to release it. Big bands like Fleetwood Mac don't simply throw things out there without any fanfare.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac doesn't need a label or contract. No one does. They're just middlemen who take your money. What did Reprise do to promote In Your Dreams? Nothing, really. They made some promo CDs and posters, which probably did absolutely nothing to increase sales. All those TV appearances? That's not Reprise...that's a good publicist. The members of Fleetwood Mac have enough money to press their own CDs and self-release anything they want.

Case in point: Macklemore. A nobody; an unknown from the Seattle hip-hop scene who skipped the label, and self-released his album with DJ Ryan Lewis. Regardless of what you think of the music, he's been very successful. His album has been certified Gold in the U.S. and his concerts (where the real money is) are selling out. That is self promotion at it's best. 40 year old white guys like me are going to hip-hop shows.

In Your Dreams has sold 500K copies worldwide, but only about 120K in the U.S. I believe Stevie could have achieved that on her own, with no label. The fact is, no one gets rich from album sales anymore - that's not how the industry works. You make the big bucks from touring. The record label is only there to help you *feel* like you've made it, and to screw you, and many artists come out of the deal owing money instead of making money, with no way to release further music and a contract that prevents them from working at all until they settle with their label.

If Fleetwood Mac doesn't have a label contract, good for them. If they were smart, they'd keep it that way and release an album or EP themselves. No record label is going to increase Fleetwood Mac music sales in this day and age. A label will only hinder, take, and use.

If I were a label exec, I'd be very scared of what Macklemore has done. They should all be scared, because if a nobody-ginger-haired-white-rapper can self-release an album and become a superstar, then anyone can. There's nothing stopping an established artist with an established fan base from doing the same thing.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 04-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I seriously doubt that anyone is falling over themselves trying to release a EP from Fleetwood Mac in 2013, especially given the abysmal commercial sales of IYD, SWS and OMS. Plus, without any concrete plans for recording new albums in the future, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to go through all of that administrative/legal mishigas just for a few songs... and nothing more.

I suspect that the release of the EP is dragging on because, without big label involvement, there really isn't anyone promoting it or pushing for its release. It's probably sitting around waiting for someone to figure out how to release it. Big bands like Fleetwood Mac don't simply throw things out there without any fanfare.
I agree its not worth the effort in releasing 3 tunes in any form of media as said in result of not so good sales of their other outings including Stevie's and Lindsey's current solo outings.

Why bother wasting their time on 3 putting out tunes then just keeping them and add 6 or 7 more to make a complete album.

They could just release them just as teasers on ICRAP and add to a complete album later.

Its like me just putting $5 bucks of gas in my car instead of filling the tank for $50 to $60 and drive to Holmdel or Atlantic City New Jersey to a FM /Stevie concert.I have to stop and get gas every 20 miles and be wasting my time getting gas and end up getting to the show late.

Last edited by Macfanforever; 04-17-2013 at 11:39 AM..
Old 04-17-2013, 11:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Back in the 50's to the 80's Did the record companies promote their artists more then .My brain is rusty on this but I think they did more then.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
What did Reprise do to promote In Your Dreams? Nothing, really. They made some promo CDs and posters, which probably did absolutely nothing to increase sales. All those TV appearances? That's not Reprise...that's a good publicist.
Labels may be "evil," but they are the ones who handle many of the logistics. Distribution of hard media and digital media. Coordination with print/online/social media. Handling the collection/accounting/distribution of royalties and dealing with publishing and other legal matters. Plotting out the release strategies and attempting to get airplay on mainstream outlets. Did WB/Reprise do a good job? No. But they did get the album out to Rolling Stone for immediate streaming, developed a limited edition for Barnes and Noble, ensured its availability on iTunes, Amazon, etc. Without a label, who else in the Fleetwood Mac organization would do all of this legwork? Sure, they could theoretically create their own label, but why bother when they don't even know if they will ever record/release anything ever again? There are economies of scale involved too. Why would FM hire a team of professionals to do all of this logistical work just for three or four measly songs on an EP that will not sell like hotcakes?

Quote:
Case in point: Macklemore. A nobody; an unknown from the Seattle hip-hop scene who skipped the label, and self-released his album with DJ Ryan Lewis. Regardless of what you think of the music, he's been very successful. His album has been certified Gold in the U.S. and his concerts (where the real money is) are selling out. That is self promotion at it's best. 40 year old white guys like me are going to hip-hop shows.
Oh please. Macklemore has the advantage of being young, musically on-trend and social media savvy. Nobody in Fleetwood Mac is on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, etc. (and I'm not including those "fake" corporate accounts created for them). I mean, look at that dude who did the "Harlem Shake." It's not even a song. It vaguely resembles "music," but it became a big indie hit just because it was of-the-moment and widely accessible. The consumers of pop culture today are not 40-year-old soccer moms/dads surfing the web looking for new music from a band of 65-year-olds.

Quote:
In Your Dreams has sold 500K copies worldwide, but only about 120K in the U.S. I believe Stevie could have achieved that on her own, with no label. The fact is, no one gets rich from album sales anymore - that's not how the industry works. You make the big bucks from touring. The record label is only there to help you *feel* like you've made it, and to screw you, and many artists come out of the deal owing money instead of making money, with no way to release further music and a contract that prevents them from working at all until they settle with their label.
Well, if a tree falls in the forest... Even today there are probably scores of casual FM fans who don't even know Stevie released a new album two years ago, so it's certainly debateable whether Stevie, without any label support, could have done just as well/poorly. I suspect that WB/Reprise, with their distribution channels and access to mainstream outlets like Target, WalMart and Best Buy, exposed the new album to many, many unsuspecting people.

Quote:
If Fleetwood Mac doesn't have a label contract, good for them. If they were smart, they'd keep it that way and release an album or EP themselves. No record label is going to increase Fleetwood Mac music sales in this day and age. A label will only hinder, take, and use.
So basically you are saying that Fleetwood Mac, for the first time in their entire careers, should just throw out some songs without any fanfare or label support. A quick and dirty release like One Man Show, which probably didn't even sell 10,000 copies. Talk about sullying a brand!

Quote:
If I were a label exec, I'd be very scared of what Macklemore has done. They should all be scared, because if a nobody-ginger-haired-white-rapper can self-release an album and become a superstar, then anyone can. There's nothing stopping an established artist with an established fan base from doing the same thing.
I agree that the internet and social media is a game changer for mainstream POPULAR music. But Fleetwood Mac is no longer mainstream popular music. Their fanbase is much harder to reach and still requires the attention of dedicated professionals who know how it's done.