User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-21-2006, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie
I didn't realise that Not That Funny was so hated until I saw this post. I love it! One of my favourites off Tusk, or top 10 atleast since it's such a good album. I suppose I can see why people don't like it, but I think it's great.
I think the studio version of "Not That Funny" stinks (however, I don't outright hate it like I used to)...and, I've always liked the live version (although I think the extended jamming goes nowhere...compared to, let's say, a Grateful Dead or Allman Bros jam...and is pretty boring)
Old 03-21-2006, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Now THERE's what I was trying to get at earlier in the thread.
That's not true.

You ALWAYS state that he is NOT one of the best. Reread the intelligent post
of Peestie and then all the posts of you in this thread and feel ashamed of the here quoted remark. In this thread you cannot stand in Peestie's shadow, you Pompous Ass.

Old 03-21-2006, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think the studio version of "Not That Funny" stinks (however, I don't outright hate it like I used to)...and, I've always liked the live version (although I think the extended jamming goes nowhere...compared to, let's say, a Grateful Dead or Allman Bros jam...and is pretty boring)
The Dead the Bros...great sir. How can you possible compare that jammingwise? Early Mac Jammed ten times better, I know, but Lindsey Buckingham is the only white guitarplayer that I have heard in my entire life, that could jam with bass drums and keys ON HIS OWN. Ten minutes of NTF may not be musically entertaining for trained instrumentalists, but for people with a thing for drama this jam goes nowhere, correct, but leads to orgasm.

There. Sit on it.

....And because I love statements: Anyone who loves IKINW and hates NTF-studio has sh*t for brains.

Both songs are spectacular indiepoprockgems.

Put on a Clapton and fall asleep please.

Old 03-21-2006, 03:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up
That's not true.
In this thread you cannot stand in Peestie's shadow, you Pompous Ass.
Are we going at it again Gezza?

Bring on another round!! woohoo...
Old 03-21-2006, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
....And because I love statements: Anyone who loves IKINW and hates NTF-studio has sh*t for brains.
I must have got it from reading all your posts....

Quote:
Put on a Clapton and fall asleep please.
Put on Clapton, or Green for that matter and wake up to pure, natural jamming and blues improvisation. I really feel sorry for John McVie, another great blues improviser. Imagine having to put up with Lindsey's mindset and musical tendencies and play the same old songs night after night. John is a blues purest and you can see he has a tough time of it with LB. Mention the original Mac and he sits up and has the old tear in his eye. I don't think Mick is that bothered as long as they stay popular and make money.

Lindsey has made some great music and is a great guitarist but there is a connection to the roots of music missing in his playing and I hear it a mile off. But he's not alone. Many guitarists are the same. Music is what they are good at or it's their profession. But some guys ARE music. Eric is just that. Eric invented a style that has been copied by many many players, lindsey has been copied by a few. Isn't copying the best form of acknowledgment? Call all these players that followed bland but Eric made the mold.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:13 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac
Eric invented a style that has been copied by many many players, lindsey has been copied by a few. Isn't copying the best form of acknowledgment?
But you can't possibly state that copying and acknowledgment is the only, or really even a good, way to judge how good a player is. Lindsey is not a very well known guitarist, but there are obviously many many obscure musicians that "are music." You make a good point that if somebody is copied a lot, they must be pretty good, but just because somebody isn't copied, that is a bad bad argument for how bad a player they are.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester
You make a good point that if somebody is copied a lot, they must be pretty good, but just because somebody isn't copied, that is a bad bad argument for how bad a player they are.
I didn't say if a player wasn't copied that they are a bad player. You need to read it again.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:17 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
I didn't say if a player wasn't copied that they are a bad player. You need to read it again.
I didn't say you said that.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester
I didn't say you said that.
Cool.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I must have got it from reading all your posts....

Put on Clapton, or Green for that matter and wake up to pure, natural jamming and blues improvisation. I really feel sorry for John McVie, another great blues improviser. Imagine having to put up with Lindsey's mindset and musical tendencies and play the same old songs night after night. John is a blues purest and you can see he has a tough time of it with LB. Mention the original Mac and he sits up and has the old tear in his eye. I don't think Mick is that bothered as long as they stay popular and make money.
Has nothing to do with Lindsey. I have the old tear in my I too when I think about my first love. Yesterday evening I was watching that japanvideo from 77 and you simply can't say there is no jammingattitude BECAUSE of the addition of Buckingham in the band. That grew in the years they became outofproportionfamous. But all of them were part of that. John does not look unhappy when they played live the shows I've seen.

Quote:
Lindsey has made some great music and is a great guitarist but there is a connection to the roots of music missing in his playing and I hear it a mile off. But he's not alone. Many guitarists are the same. Music is what they are good at or it's their profession. But some guys ARE music. Eric is just that. Eric invented a style that has been copied by many many players, lindsey has been copied by a few. Isn't copying the best form of acknowledgment? Call all these players that followed bland but Eric made the mold.
I thought that already. As long as you don't acknowledge folk and country to the roots of music, but only focus on the blues you're right. And about copying: Lindsey is very hard to copy because of his unique style and you know it. A lot of guitarists don't burn their fingers to copy him. That's good. He is a category on his own and there are not of lot stringmusicians that have that too. By the way: Lindsey's voice and singingstyle have always been a part of his muse: he's a packagedeal .

To name clapton and green in one breath you hurt me. Greeny lives in a complete other league. Green is God. Clapton is virtuous.

The diversity of singingstyles in combination with guitarwork makes someone bigger than life imo. In that apartement Lindsey AND Peter are from another world than Clapton.

And in that line: put on brothers in arms and fall asleep.

Last edited by shackin'up; 03-22-2006 at 06:03 AM..
Old 03-22-2006, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Has nothing to do with Lindsey. I have the old tear in my I too when I think about my first love. Yesterday evening I was watching that japanvideo from 77 and you simply can't say there is no jammingattitude BECAUSE of the addition of Buckingham in the band. That grew in the years they became outofproportionfamous. But all of them were part of that. John does not look unhappy when they played live the shows I've seen.

Yes Buckingham jammed, more so upto '82. I'm not saying he never did. But it was always "safe" jamming within the confines of his comfort zone. Peter never did that, he was always off on some magical adventure. Clapton does stay within his comfort zone now but then he's played so many licks nothing could be seen as radical or different anymore. One thing I liked was the way Lindsey changed songs for a live environment. Look at the intro to The Chain from '77 to '82. It changed every year, as did ISA too, the famous pitbull. And Big Love/ Go Insane for that matter too Now, since The Dance, everything has become rather stale. He should shake up the arrangements rather than try and recycle old songs and call them new names as he did on SYW. As for John, if he was asked for a direct answer I think he would rather play blues than rock. He's happy 'cos he's just playing live. It's his buzz in life.

Quote:
I thought that already. As long as you don't acknowledge folk and country to the roots of music, but only focus on the blues you're right.
It's all based in the blues originally anyway. All the way back to gospel blues.

Quote:
To name clapton and green in one breath you hurt me. Greeny lives in a complete other league. Green is God. Clapton is virtuous.

The diversity of singingstyles in combination with guitarwork makes someone bigger than life imo. In that apartement Lindsey AND Peter are from another world than Clapton.
Well putting Lindsey and Peter in the same breath dismays me. Peter and Clapton share more musical sensibilities than Lindsey shares with either of them. Yet another example of the lack of respect shown to Eric given the sheer volume of work he has done, on top of which he is responsible for the regeneration of blues, modern blues and in turn rock in North America since the British blues boom of the 60's.

If I had to give the prize for the most "blues with a feeling" it goes to Pete. Eric is more straight blues but Peter moved about within the genre.

Quote:
And in that line: put on brothers in arms and fall asleep.
I can't argue with that 'cos it does make me drowsy. As good and poignant a song it is it can make me yawn.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's not true.

You ALWAYS state that he is NOT one of the best. Reread the intelligent post
of Peestie and then all the posts of you in this thread and feel ashamed of the here quoted remark. In this thread you cannot stand in Peestie's shadow, you Pompous Ass.

Forgot to take your meds again, Gerald?
Old 03-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As long as you don't acknowledge folk and country to the roots of music, but only focus on the blues you're right.
"Blues" IS Negro folk music
"Country" is white people's blues.
"Jazz" is blues without boundaries
"Reggae" is Rasta-fied blues from Jamaica
"Rock & Roll" is blues with a backbeat

Again, it's all blues.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
"Blues" IS Negro folk music
"Country" is white people's blues.
"Jazz" is blues without boundaries
"Reggae" is Rasta-fied blues from Jamaica
"Rock & Roll" is blues with a backbeat

Again, it's all blues.
exactly. so why stating that lindsey's playing lacks the roots of music, like your dear english buddy does? It's bull. And you just proved me right. Thanks bud. And that on your fiftieth. feeling bluesy today?

Old 03-22-2006, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes Buckingham jammed, more so upto '82. I'm not saying he never did. But it was always "safe" jamming within the confines of his comfort zone. Peter never did that, he was always off on some magical adventure. Clapton does stay within his comfort zone now but then he's played so many licks nothing could be seen as radical or different anymore. One thing I liked was the way Lindsey changed songs for a live environment. Look at the intro to The Chain from '77 to '82. It changed every year, as did ISA too, the famous pitbull. And Big Love/ Go Insane for that matter too

Now, since The Dance, everything has become rather stale. He should shake up the arrangements rather than try and recycle old songs and call them new names as he did on SYW.

TRUE.
Partially
He also performed/recorded Come, Red Rover, My little demon, Bleed to love her, Gift of Screws and Shut us down. Sorry dude but that's a pallet of approaches and genius that Clapton didn't reach all of his career.

And recycling old songs? Come on. Clapton does that an entire life. Not to mention Knopfler-MY GOD re rehashes every tone and melodyline he invented. Those few!
And about the thousands of licks that Clapton invented-his virtuosity is not at stake here- It's not about size, dude it's what you do with it.
It's not about licks, it's about how you compose with them.
At the very least Lindsey is more playful with it.

As for John, if he was asked for a direct answer I think he would rather play blues than rock. He's happy 'cos he's just playing live. It's his buzz in life.
So why didnt they play the blues again fullforce after Lindsey walked out?
I don't feel sorry for him. He makes his own choices. And he's as brilliant as a popbassist as he is as a bluesbassist.

It's all based in the blues originally anyway. All the way back to gospel blues.

So why state that lindsey's playing lacks the roots of music. Stay coherent you stiff upper lip.

Well putting Lindsey and Peter in the same breath dismays me.

So what. You hurted me.
Peter and Clapton share more musical sensibilities than Lindsey shares with either of them.

Lindsey and Peter were both way more experimental in writing. They share a lot more than you want to receive. Someone who writes green manalishi and someone who writes So Afraid. Someone who writes Albatross and someone who writes DW Suite. The spectrum of their musical approach is so much broader.

Yet another example of the lack of respect shown to Eric given the sheer volume of work he has done, on top of which he is responsible for the regeneration of blues, modern blues and in turn rock in North America since the British blues boom of the 60's.

I respect Clapton. But I only really appreciated him during that short booming Creamperiod. THAT was searching for the bounderies and keep yourself sharp. Development. Although the main kick of Cream for me was the chemistry with that outofthisworld rythmsection.

If I had to give the prize for the most "blues with a feeling" it goes to Pete. Eric is more straight blues but Peter moved about within the genre.

And never looked outside of it. That's what's bugging me. Tunnel view.

I am one of the few people who really enjoys The End Of The Game. Nuts, with a lot of help from others, but BALLS BALLS BALLS.

I can't argue with that 'cos it does make me drowsy. As good and poignant a song it is it can make me yawn.

I meant the whole album

Last edited by shackin'up; 03-22-2006 at 02:54 PM..