Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSATX View Post
Sorry, but I gotta say it.....this song would sound way, way better with some Stevie background vocals!
I think the best would have been a 3 part harmony.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
But she couldn't be bothered to join them, so I'm glad she's absent!

I love Lindsey -- but there's been soemthing thin and processed about much of his work since the 2000s. Songs like "What's the World coming to" and even what he did to "Goodbye baby" have this artificial computer percussion going on in them that just zaps them of anything organic. What he was doing on Tusk, Mirage and his first 3 solo CDs was great. they all sound so lush, weird (in a good way), and human. "Say You Will" was really 9 Linds songs and 9 Linds-prodcued Stevie songs. It felt like a solo LB ablum with 9 SN songs added in. The vocals mostly felt overdubbed and disconnected. I can perhaps understand why Stevie didnt want to join in on this venture. But I am still hoping this new album is NOT like "Say you will" and i actaully feel like Chris and Linds are in the same room working and playing together — as opposed to 5 Linds songs and 5 Chirs songs, processed and overly perfect.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
I think it's a great song.
It wouldn't have been out of place on Under The Skin,
Gift of Screws or Seeds We Sow.
Or the Fleetwood Mac EP. (Production-wise - a huge improvement from Say You Will)

For me the John McVie bass is the best part of the song.
Nothing groundbreaking, but it's a solid Lindsey track and
bodes well for the rest of the album.

I can't think of a single artist or band from their era
who are still making interesting "current" sounding music.
I think that's the part I dislike the most. It does sound very current. Maybe I'm in the minority but I love when a song sounds "dated". That's why I primarily listen to classic rock. I can appreciate Lindsey going for an updated sound, it's just not really my cup of tea.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

On Spotify it's down as Lindsey Buckingham. Apart from it showing the album cover with Christine there's no mention of her. Weird.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deribish View Post
I love Lindsey -- but there's been soemthing thin and processed about much of his work since the 2000s. Songs like "What's the World coming to" and even what he did to "Goodbye baby" have this artificial computer percussion going on in them that just zaps them of anything organic. What he was doing on Tusk, Mirage and his first 3 solo CDs was great. they all sound so lush, weird (in a good way), and human. "Say You Will" was really 9 Linds songs and 9 Linds-prodcued Stevie songs. It felt like a solo LB ablum with 9 SN songs added in. The vocals mostly felt overdubbed and disconnected. I can perhaps understand why Stevie didnt want to join in on this venture. But I am still hoping this new album is NOT like "Say you will" and i actaully feel like Chris and Linds are in the same room working and playing together — as opposed to 5 Linds songs and 5 Chirs songs, processed and overly perfect.
I agree with you, but even on SYW there were prominent background vocals. This song just seems like solo Lindsey to me.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
Just heard the whole single courtesy of YouTube.....
I like it and it does remind me of Peacekeeper....which is a favourite of mine.

I see Welcomechris/Joe Seerj has put In My World on his 'official' Fleetwood Mac Youtube channel. Be aware that isn't an 'official' FM Youtube channel.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-14-2017, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
Just heard the whole single courtesy of YouTube.....
I like it and it does remind me of Peacekeeper....which is a favourite of mine.
Thank you for the heads up.
Now that I have heard the whole song my opinion is wayyy different than just hearing a snippet.
This song lacks more than it gains.
The whole world essentially is waiting for a new Christine McVie song and to lead out with a LB song was a big mistake. But I can understand why it was done. This project was LB's baby from the get go. But this song is too repetitive to come in at 4:24. This ditty would have been more perfect if it was cut down to the 3:00 minute marker. I can picture this song getting some airplay but I predict will be long gone from the airwaves in under a month.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:00 PM

For those who are interested, the whole song is (legally) on spotify.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:12 PM
Senior Ledgie

After I bought it the initial listen I liked, but was not overly jazzed about. The second listen vastly improved my opinion for some reason. I do wish there was an identifiable guitar solo though. Did they really recycle Sleeping Around the Corner as the opening track on this album??? I like the song, but it's an interesting choice.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:23 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Thank you for the heads up.
Now that I have heard the whole song my opinion is wayyy different than just hearing a snippet.
This song lacks more than it gains.
The whole world essentially is waiting for a new Christine McVie song and to lead out with a LB song was a big mistake. But I can understand why it was done. This project was LB's baby from the get go.
But it's now a duet project (or at least that's how they're talking about it in interviews...). Now I'm sort of worried that the other 4 LB songs are going to be like this one, that they will have little or no audible Christine involvement, and that the only collaborative stuff will be on Christine's songs. If "In My World" is the only song on the album that doesn't feature her, why choose it as the first song to be released, when they're playing up the idea that this is a duet album?
Old 04-14-2017, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamIsOver View Post
After sleeping on it and a couple more listens this morning, I've gotten over the fact "In My World" is not what I hoped for, accepted it for what it is and can appreciate it on that level a little more. I don't think the song is so much directed at Stevie. They have sung at and about each other before, this is something different. This is Lindsey getting inside her head concerning her ambivalence toward Fleetwood Mac versus her solo career.

The verses represent FM - the solid foundation from Mick and John with Lindsey's irritating and dissonant guitar on top that does not change or resolve melodically. The chorus is obviously representative of her solo career - in my world everything is hunky dory - but Lindsey can't help but give his opinion by locking her thoughts in an echo chamber.

Lindsey believes friction is vital to FM's creativity and Stevie does not. The "love grunts" are actually giving voice to the push/pull tug of war between them.

I bet this is one of the songs that Lindsey wrote for Stevie to sing around the time of the EP. I could also see her - understandably - refusing to sing it and give him the perverse thrill of him hearing her sing what he thinks is going on in her head. It reinforces her resolve to not work creatively with Lindsey. His response is to release the song as a single, duet album be damned.

Or I could be reading way to much into it...
Beautiful reading.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Ummmm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eyCWgg6Oqeg

Come Out to Play by Christine McVie?

Is this a song I missed somehow? Is this a new song? Anyone know?
Old 04-14-2017, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847 View Post
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eyCWgg6Oqeg

Come Out to Play by Christine McVie?

Is this a song I missed somehow? Is this a new song? Anyone know?

It was recorded for In The Meantime but not included on the album.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-14-2017, 01:34 PM

Old 04-14-2017, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
It was recorded for In The Meantime but not included on the album.
Good to know. When I heard this song I told myself, this sounds like it should be on In The Meantime
Now I know why