Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
That being said, I'd be happy if Stevie wasn't in the band anymore. Based on her contributions, comments, and actions, it's pretty clear to me that Fleetwood Mac really hasn't been a priority for her in thirty years or so.
Stevie was the only member who wrote a new song expressly for 'The Dance,' and she wrote four brand new songs for 'Say You Will' while Lindsey's were all holdovers from his aborted original 'Gift of Screws.' She also spent three years on the road with them. I think she's made Fleetwood Mac just as much of a priority in recent years as anyone else in the band, even if she hasn't been waiting by the phone for them to call.

What I can't understand is why everyone's so upset that FM isn't going out on yet another cash-grab tour this year. Mick's disappointment makes sense, but we're the ones who'd have to shell out big bucks to see them play 75% of 'Rumours' for the millionth time.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love them and I support them. That's why for me.

Before I got married, before I got out of college (granted I'm 24 and newly married) I went through a very heavy phase as a teen, including some battles with depression, suicide attempts, rough mentally draining relationships and a few stays at a mental facility here in NC. Their music got me through all that. I bonded with them through their songs in a way I would've laughed at years previous. Even though they'll never know it, their music is partially the reason I'm still here because I knew I wasn't the only one going through really crap times and if they could make it through, so could I.

I know mines a bit of a sap story, but it's the reason I go see them every time they tour, together or solo. It's my way of thanking them.... by forking out my money. LOL But hey, if I ever got the chance to tell them in person or hand them a letter, I sure as Hell would.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
How anyone could do "Whole Lotta Trouble" and "At Last" as a solo artist while being in a band with British blues royalty, one of whom was named Melody Maker's Reader's Poll FEMALE VOCALIST OF THE YEAR for the hit she had with AN ETTA JAMES SONG...TWICE, is totally beyond me.
Maybe Christine's legacy is exactly WHY she felt she couldn't do those things within Fleetwood Mac. Or maybe the band just wasn't interested. Wasn't "Whole Lotta Trouble" offered up for Tango? I know that title was kicking around in my head long before TOSOTM was released.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In my hypothetical (and David's), I think bringing in people who have big hits that would easily fit into Fleetwood Mac's set and have large followings on their own would help people get over the fact that Stevie and Christine aren't there. I could be wrong.
Well, you're wrong about my hypothetical, which doesn't replace Stevie. I see no reason for Stevie Nicks to go or be replaced. I add Carole King as a fifth cog to the current wheel.

Her songwriter status in pop music is equal to any of theirs (Sheryl Crow's and Cyndi Lauper's are not). That's why I think she'd be a good fit. Also, the audience wouldn't have to listen to two hours of their 35-year-old songs. They'd also have 30 minutes or so of her 40-year-old songs.

It would be a nice package of Pledge Break entertainment all around.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-25-2012, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
the audience wouldn't have to listen to two hours of their 35-year-old songs. They'd also have 30 minutes or so of her 40-year-old songs.

See, this is why they should just hang it up, and call it a day. They're a parody of a real band now. "Hey hey we're the Monke....er.....Maccies!"

Stop being artistic, and you're no longer an artist....but a teat milker. At least Stevie and Lindsey are still artistic in their solo careers! FM is just a giant green teat for them, now.

I'm only pledging, if they include the Mac tote bag!
Old 03-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
What I can't understand is why everyone's so upset that FM isn't going out on yet another cash-grab tour this year. Mick's disappointment makes sense, but we're the ones who'd have to shell out big bucks to see them play 75% of 'Rumours' for the millionth time.
good point!

in my view, all current Mac members have very different agendas. Mick, Lindsey and Stevie all have either solo careers or different side projects for their artistic fulfillment. beside any emotional attachments, they seem to be using Mac now mainly for cash grab, although each to a different extent.

that said, i think that in 2009/10, LB was hoping they'll get in a studio and record another album, then tour it. when SN nixed that and got together with DS to write new music for IYD, LB started talking about at least putting out an EP (presumably with DS producing) before the next FM tour. i don't know whether he and Mick were still hoping for that or it also became completely out of the question eventually.

once RS cash-grab tour flew in, any FM plans to do something starting this summer flew out the window. as recent as January 2012 LB was saying he cannot tour solo anymore this year, which all of the sudden reversed after H&S news, and now he seems to be embarking on a prolonged solo tour going into the fall.

at Lindsey's Q&A some people asked him about potential CD release+tour for 40-year of original BN release. he seemed to be very open to that idea. but with all their inter-personal politics, and FM being pushed to 2013 now, i don't see how both BN and FM can happen in 2013 (also 10-yr anniversary of SYW). other bands and people could do it, FM - don't think so. unless DS's breakneck speed of doing things majorly rubs off on them.

however personally yes, this is working out great: i am much happier to have a completely different LB solo tour to look forward to this year than the one i saw last year, and his potentially working on another solo album at the same time - than contemplating whether i want to see FM in some big arena. or alternatively FM being in the studio for the next few years and not seeing anything from Lindsey in the meantime. so personally, while i see Mick's interview as some good publicity for both FM and solo projects, i am very grateful this year is turning out the way it seems to be.

to answer somebody else's question about a possibility of someone like Cindy or Carole replacing SN - yes i'd love to see that, and it would have a potential to solve Mick's problems - which this thread is about. and i would LOVE to see LB interacting with some different people - solo or as a part of the Mac, and many young interesting musicians expressed an interest in working with him. do i think any of that has any chance of happening - of course not!! doesn't mean that we cannot throw around these ideas and have some fun with it!
Old 03-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
See, this is why they should just hang it up, and call it a day. They're a parody of a real band now.

Stop being artistic, and you're no longer an artist....but a teat milker. At least Stevie and Lindsey are still artistic in their solo careers! FM is just a giant green teat for them, now.
Yeah, but David, who can say what a "real band" is nowadays (or any days)? There are a lot of bands that dish up the old favorites. Even the great pop singers of the mid-century (Andy Williams, Bobby Darrin, the Everly Brothers, Teresa Brewer, Peggy Lee, Nat King Cole) dished up their former hits all their lives. Fleetwood Mac is just another in a long line of commodities, largely doing what the market wants at this point in time. I think that phenomenon is a lot more widespread than a band that continually moves forward with its music, refusing to rest on past laurels. That's quite rare, actually. And sometimes, as in the sad, maddening case of Rickie Lee Jones, it doesn't even make its mark historically. It's only a shrill gesture, the preachy, self-conscious attitude of someone who eschews the market at every turn, the way a raving atheist can find nothing of worth in the communal rituals and lives of the devout.

Quote:
I'm only pledging, if they include the Mac tote bag!
I want the Fleetwood Mac-signed Nike Air Monarchs!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
do i think any of that has any chance of happening - of course not!! doesn't mean that we cannot throw around these ideas and have some fun with it!
Your posts are such a needed breath of fresh air to these forums. Have I ever told you how much I appreciate you?
Old 03-25-2012, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
Stevie was the only member who wrote a new song expressly for 'The Dance,' and she wrote four brand new songs for 'Say You Will'
And, IMO, only two of those four were good. She only had four good songs on that record. The rest were either filler or downright awful. But, my timeline also included stuff from Tango/GH/Mask/Chain, etc. And, I said "The Dance" was an exception to the rule (as it served her needs to reestablish her good name...nothing wrong with that, btw). Still, compare her 1975-1982 Fleetwood Mac songs with the 1987-present Fleetwood Mac songs. Are you with a straight face seriously going to say that they're of the same caliber???

Quote:
while Lindsey's were all holdovers from his aborted original 'Gift of Screws.'
You mean the aborted "solo" album that featured Mick Fleetwood and John and Christine McVie? The "solo" album that was never actually intended to become a Fleetwood Mac album like the last two Fleetwood Mac albums he had been involved in? Because, really, the easiest way for a "solo" album NOT to become a Fleetwood Mac album is by having Mick, John, and Christine play on it.

For me, it's clear that GOS was never actually intended on being a solo album. It was always, at least partially, going to be used as a springboard for relaunching Fleetwood Mac (Rumours band) as a recording entity. I think they waited to get a clear answer from Christine. When it became clear to them she was out and enough time had passed where they could sweep it under the rug, Stevie sent them a batch of songs.

Quote:
Two words: John McVie. Set-list issues aside (and I was one who skipped the last tour because of that), John McVie is the reason I could get through a Fleetwood Mac concert anymore. He's the only one who changes things up a bit every night. The others are like a bunch of robots. It's boring.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Maybe Mick and Lindsey screwed up for not coordinating a "Men of the Mac" tour (or better yet "Lindsey Buckingham with special guests The Mick Fleetwood Blues Band").

Basically, retool the MFBB (Mick and Rick with John and Brett), have them do a set of blues songs (no early-FM hits), then they become Lindsey's "solo" band with Rick filling in for Neale (no FM songs), and then finish with a short set of FM songs.

I doubt Lindsey would be interested artistically, but the guys would make more change touring together than separately, and it would help their chops for recording a new FM album when Stevie's ready.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Well, you're wrong about my hypothetical, which doesn't replace Stevie. I see no reason for Stevie Nicks to go or be replaced. I add Carole King as a fifth cog to the current wheel.

Her songwriter status in pop music is equal to any of theirs (Sheryl Crow's and Cyndi Lauper's are not). That's why I think she'd be a good fit. Also, the audience wouldn't have to listen to two hours of their 35-year-old songs. They'd also have 30 minutes or so of her 40-year-old songs.

Carole King??? I'm stunned, and entertained! Such a bizzare reference! Her track record as a songwriter far exceeds the accomplishments of Stevie and Lindsey. She is entirely in a different realm of classification. While she has had success as a solo artist, she's from the Brill Building era in the late fifites/early sixites, part of a team of traditional songwriters - a "song factory" providing songs for various singers and groups.

Lindsey's and Stevie's songs are mostly written about themselves, and as such, are a bit esoteric. Carole writes songs that are not so arty, but have a more universal appeal. I know it's all bit hypothetical, but Carole King would have zero interest in Fleetwood Mac!

Last edited by PenguinHead; 03-25-2012 at 08:04 PM..
Old 03-26-2012, 09:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Two words: John McVie. Set-list issues aside (and I was one who skipped the last tour because of that), John McVie is the reason I could get through a Fleetwood Mac concert anymore. He's the only one who changes things up a bit every night. The others are like a bunch of robots. It's boring.
With all due respect, people aren't lining up to see John McVie. Actually, I'm sure very few eyes are on him when you have Lindsey and Stevie up front and crazy Mick on the drums.

So let's pose this question again, why do we want another cash-grab, greatest hits tour?
Old 03-26-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller View Post
With all due respect, people aren't lining up to see John McVie. Actually, I'm sure very few eyes are on him when you have Lindsey and Stevie up front and crazy Mick on the drums.

So let's pose this question again, why do we want another cash-grab, greatest hits tour?
We (I) don't.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Maybe Mick and Lindsey screwed up for not coordinating a "Men of the Mac" tour (or better yet "Lindsey Buckingham with special guests The Mick Fleetwood Blues Band").

Basically, retool the MFBB (Mick and Rick with John and Brett), have them do a set of blues songs (no early-FM hits), then they become Lindsey's "solo" band with Rick filling in for Neale (no FM songs), and then finish with a short set of FM songs.

I doubt Lindsey would be interested artistically, but the guys would make more change touring together than separately, and it would help their chops for recording a new FM album when Stevie's ready.
There's were Crosby/Nash concerts. So this idea isn't so far-fetched...
Old 04-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Its funny to see us "die-hards" dwell over the doom and gloom of Fleetwood Mac. They are more relevant now than they have been since 1977. THANK YOU GLEE!

Seriously though, lots of high school and college kids are getting into them these days. I nearly shat myself when my friend put on rumours on the way home from CT. This is someone who listens to Niki Minaj and Lady Gaga. You can bet, the next time they do go out (which they will), there will be many more younger fans.