User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post
But it's Chris! And only a fiver I'm a good influence, I promise.

What if you never find it that cheap again D:
I know, I know... that's why I'm most likely just gonna do it!
Old 02-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've got some major love for the title track right now. I was tidying my room the other day, stomping between my bed and the wardrobe to the beat

Agh, I'm spamming up your thread, I'm sorry, I'm just so bored. I need to get out, I've been cooped up for days.

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 02-18-2010, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley View Post
First Impression.

I'm a fairly young FM fan (24) and although I've loved Rumours, S/T and Bella Donna for a decade I've actually never listened to Tusk, Mirage and TITN in their entirety before. Of course I'm familiar with most of the singles from these albums and the ones performed on The Dance though. So, I've decided to rectify this glaring omission and I've begun with Tango.

I'm sort of surprised that Christine McVie's contributions are the stand out of the entire album. Mainly because her 80's solo record is mostly unremarkable. On Tango, however, she gets in the best songs with Everywhere and Little Lies. Isn't It Midnight is a great jam and a very typical McVie song. Mystified is a bit odd with it's almost "Let's Get It On" mood and You and I, Part II is fun.

Stevie's songs lack the urgency that her material from S/T & Rumours have. Seven Wonders feels very much like a solo track and Welcome to the Room Sara is largely forgettable. When I See You Again is fantastic but far from a masterwork.

And Lindsey... *sigh*, I find his tracks on this album insufferable. I've always found Big Love to be a bit pretentious and jarring to listen to and Family Man has to be one of his worst songs. Caroline and the title track are both fairly boring. I like Lindsey but his work in the 80's is indulgent to a fault.

Overall it's a good album. I almost wish it was a follow up to McVie's self titled record because she seemed to be on quite a roll during this period. Unfortunately Nicks offers very little and Buckingham is still on a mission to prove how clever he can be.

B-

I hope I haven't made any enemies with my thoughts and welcome some observations from more seasoned fans of the band.
Welcome to the party! I pretty much agree with absolutely everything you have to say about this album. I think this is where Christine shined greatest in perhaps her entire career. She bridged the gap between the overindulgent Lindsey, and the underachieving Stevie. Despite (or perhaps even because) of it's flaws, I still rank this amongst the best Mac albums. It's just tight, concise, and consistently high quality. I first heard this album in about '93 or '94... and at the time, it couldn't have been LESS cool. I think we're far enough away from the '80s now that it's become kitschy and fun. Following the extremely lackluster Mirage, this album was a real tour de force. It could have opened up so many doors for a new life and direction for the Mac... it's unfortunate the band imploded shortly after this album was recorded. To me Tango is very much in the vein of Rumours as far as it being a tight, high quality pop album fueled by personal upheaval. I'd definitely rate it an A.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
First Impression.

I'm a fairly young FM fan (24) and although I've loved Rumours, S/T and Bella Donna for a decade I've actually never listened to Tusk, Mirage and TITN in their entirety before. Of course I'm familiar with most of the singles from these albums and the ones performed on The Dance though. So, I've decided to rectify this glaring omission and I've begun with Tango.

I'm sort of surprised that Christine McVie's contributions are the stand out of the entire album. Mainly because her 80's solo record is mostly unremarkable. On Tango, however, she gets in the best songs with Everywhere and Little Lies. Isn't It Midnight is a great jam and a very typical McVie song. Mystified is a bit odd with it's almost "Let's Get It On" mood and You and I, Part II is fun.

Stevie's songs lack the urgency that her material from S/T & Rumours have. Seven Wonders feels very much like a solo track and Welcome to the Room Sara is largely forgettable. When I See You Again is fantastic but far from a masterwork.

And Lindsey... *sigh*, I find his tracks on this album insufferable. I've always found Big Love to be a bit pretentious and jarring to listen to and Family Man has to be one of his worst songs. Caroline and the title track are both fairly boring. I like Lindsey but his work in the 80's is indulgent to a fault.

Overall it's a good album. I almost wish it was a follow up to McVie's self titled record because she seemed to be on quite a roll during this period. Unfortunately Nicks offers very little and Buckingham is still on a mission to prove how clever he can be.

B-

I hope I haven't made any enemies with my thoughts and welcome some observations from more seasoned fans of the band.
ZOMG! Another Alien fan like myself!!!
Old 02-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Welcome to the party! I pretty much agree with absolutely everything you have to say about this album. I think this is where Christine shined greatest in perhaps her entire career. She bridged the gap between the overindulgent Lindsey, and the underachieving Stevie. Despite (or perhaps even because) of it's flaws, I still rank this amongst the best Mac albums. It's just tight, concise, and consistently high quality. I first heard this album in about '93 or '94... and at the time, it couldn't have been LESS cool. I think we're far enough away from the '80s now that it's become kitschy and fun. Following the extremely lackluster Mirage, this album was a real tour de force. It could have opened up so many doors for a new life and direction for the Mac... it's unfortunate the band imploded shortly after this album was recorded. To me Tango is very much in the vein of Rumours as far as it being a tight, high quality pop album fueled by personal upheaval. I'd definitely rate it an A.
Im sure it will grow on me more and more as I listen to it. These were just my thoughts on my first initial feeling (lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowi View Post
ZOMG! Another Alien fan like myself!!!
haha I'll have to post some pics of my Alien tattoos soon.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

This thread inspired me to see what sort of reaction Family Man got compared to Lindsey's most oddball Tusk tunes, and I happened to stumble upon this..
Old 02-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarmSir3 View Post
I happened to stumble upon this..
Wat. is that. Bucko?!

Old 02-18-2010, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question

Quote:
..I've loved Rumours, S/T and Bella Donna for a decade I've actually never listened to Tusk, Mirage and TITN in their entirety before.
Stevie's songs lack the urgency that her material from S/T & Rumours have. .
I'm sorry but after breaking my brain for several minutes, and since I always recognize the OOTC, TITN, GoS, BTM, etc... I ca'nt identify what album is S/T.. What is it??
Old 02-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I'm sorry but after breaking my brain for several minutes, and since I always recognize the OOTC, TITN, GoS, BTM, etc... I ca'nt identify what album is S/T.. What is it??

Took me a while, too. I finally assumed it was the SELF-TITLED 1975 album.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Same here. I looked thru my itunes and I still haven't a clue as to what S/T is. I know it is going to be something completely obvious tho.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarmSir3 View Post
This thread inspired me to see what sort of reaction Family Man got compared to Lindsey's most oddball Tusk tunes, and I happened to stumble upon this..
Quote:
Wat. is that. Bucko?!
Heh, me and my friend call him Buck for short.. but Bucko? Wow.

thank you 'dr. groove p.h.d.' for the 23 uses of 'teehee' in that review.

I loved the paragraph on Brown Eyes:

"hmm so pretty this is a nice tune nice keyboards and that ride cymbal? mr. fleetwood keep it up wow strange chords here ooooh that is some lovely vocals mcvie and the harmonies? wow so groovy and wow hmm i could listen to this on endless loop sha la la sha la la sha la la la-ah-ooooh wow i'm in a trance teehee greatest tune so far? hard to say i shall have to weigh the options to see if it indeed falls into the rightful criteria for"

Old 02-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I call him Liddy

Old 02-18-2010, 07:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
OK, So far I LOVE Tusk. I really expected this to be a disaster but its really enjoyable. I'm really impressed with the sound of the record. It sounds incredible. Even the songs featuring synth dont sound dated.
I'm curious why you expected it to be a disaster? Glad it's better than you expected, though!
Old 02-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Buckingham is still on a mission to prove how clever he can be.
He had to be. The rest of the band... Stevie in particular... seemed to be on permanent vacation at the time the record was made.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I call him Liddy
I like that! I think I'll call him Liddy when he's bein' adorable, like this pic:

And Buck for shots like this:

Sexay, sexay Buck!

Ok.. back on topic.

TITN sounds like such a LB/CM collaboration that I don't even get a Fleetwood Mac vibe from it. I think Chris's stuff is stellar, and Buck has some great tracks, and while I personally ain't too fond of Stevie's (my fave is the one she didn't write)they ain't terrible, but I prefer Mirage overall. Mirage is still band album to me, even if it sounds like they're not as much of a unit after Tusk, but I can still hear each member's contributions. I don't hear a whole lot of John or Mick signature sounds in TITN.

Er.. if that makes sense. Maybe I should start a blog and sprinkle some teehee's throughout.

I could just say my main beef with TITN is that it's.. overproduced. Yeah, that sounds better.