User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I wouldn't even want Fleetwood Mac to do half of that stuff. Here guys, here's $50, do not release a comedy album of stage banter. Not that they aren't funny mind you, it's just . . .
Fleetwood Mac couldn't do one. Maybe back in 1968-1970. Today it would be a self-help record about healing.

But, Bob is one funny mofo. It's mostly just trash talk (Bob was a jock in rough, blue collar part of Dayton), and it's hilarious. One time I saw GbV, and he came out holding a microphone in one hand and a bottle of beer and a cigarette in the other. He then went on to say this:
Quote:
We are the fourth greatest band in the world. The first greatest band in the world is Pearl Jam. The second greatest band in the world is Radiohead. The third greatest band in the world is R.E.M. And we're number four! F*CK you Foo Fighters, we're number four.
Bob is one of the few guys who you can see, not know any songs, and still have an amazing time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmccarrell View Post
(sniff, sniff) Why am I not your favorite band.....
Because Lindsey Buckingham has turned the live show into his therapy session. I'm a social worker. That **** bores me to tears. I'm paying to have a good time, and that just makes it feel like a day at work. And, at the time, I was working at a homeless shelter, so Lindsey's whining seemed all the more rediculous. The last thing I want at a show is somebody recanting a therapy session. It's bull****. If he has nothing to say, then shut the eff up and play. Plus, I think it's bull**** that he charged $30+ and played, really, an hour's worth of music. The big event on a Saturday night should NOT be over by 10. Gee, great. I paid over $30 so you could play some songs -mostly live, though somewhat Memorex- and essentially have me be your emotional tampon because you were in one of the world's biggest bands, but they didn't think you **** rainbows. You know, you chould have just shut the hell up and played ALL of your songs off of Tusk instead of whining about the band not thinking glowing things about that album back in 1979. Quit bein' a pussy. [PS, the specific straw that broke the camel's back was something about realizing a dream he had wasn't going to come true, and that he had to allow himself time to mourn the loss of the dream. You know, when you've seen somebody mourn the loss of a mustard sandwich, losing a dream seems irrelevant.]

Bob charges $15-ish and turns it into a party, and I ain't talkin' 'bout a dancin' to the oldies party. I'm talking about a "how in the f*ck did I not get arrested last night" party.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-18-2008, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post

Compared to my new favorite artist, Robert Pollard, the Mac's output since 1987 has been laughable at best. He released three full length albums, one double album, a mini-EP, a "comedy" album of stage banter, a self-published art magazine, and a Best Of compilation LAST YEAR. He's already released three albums, an EP, and a self-published magazine of funny stories this year AND has an art book coming out next month, and has close to FIVE albums in the can. He has also released a series of 12 7" singles since last July. He's done more in two years that the Mac have done in two decades.
Steve do you ever think of anything other than Robert Pollard/Guided By Voices these days? I'm starting to wonder if you are him.

Last edited by trackaghost; 07-18-2008 at 07:36 PM..
Old 07-19-2008, 03:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
Steve do you ever think of anything other than Robert Pollard/Guided By Voices these days? I'm starting to wonder if you are him.
Well, I also think about my music, my job, and going to hockey and soccer games (and subsequently narrowly avoiding death and/or jail). But the rest is pretty much Bob. With a release schedule like that, there's always something new and fresh. Actually, it's sometimes hard to digest all of that new material. I'm definitely NOT him. I know him, and sometimes go drinking with him and his crew. Bob's an amazingly talented and genuine man and I feel extraordinarily lucky to know somebody like that. He lived the dream without selling out.

Although, I've been listening to Madison Blues (the rehearsal/live recordings of Christine's first Mac tour) a lot lately. Actually, I made a hypothetical album from the bits and pieces I have from that era, and think it may have been my favorite Mac album yet. Christine's voice could be a little rough at times, which isn't a bad thing for me. (I'd MUCH rather have rough over polished these days.)

1. Crazy 'Bout You
2. When Will I Be Loved (BBC Sessions)
3. Dragonfly
4. Purple Dancer
5. Down At The Crown
6. I Can't Stop Loving Her
7. Open The Door
8. Lonely Without You
9. When I See (BBC Sessions)
10. Preachin' (BBC Sessions)
11. It's Alright Now (from a bootleg I have from the tour)
12. Trinity

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Although, I've been listening to Madison Blues (the rehearsal/live recordings of Christine's first Mac tour) a lot lately. Actually, I made a hypothetical album from the bits and pieces I have from that era, and think it may have been my favorite Mac album yet. Christine's voice could be a little rough at times, which isn't a bad thing for me. (I'd MUCH rather have rough over polished these days.)

1. Crazy 'Bout You
3. Dragonfly
Is this DRAGONFLY from MADISON BLUES studio or live?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-19-2008, 09:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Dragonfly isn't on Madison Blues, but it is, as you know, from that era. I would echo Steve's sentiments about the excellence of that recording, especially Christine's live-in-studio version of Crazy 'Bout You Baby, where her vocals are inspired and both Kirwan and Spencer's set guitar spots are excellent.

Her live vocals are a bit sketchier, but overall the entire recording has lots to recommend.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Dragonfly isn't on Madison Blues, but it is, as you know, from that era.
But I want DRAGONFLY live (weep sob).

In other words, what you're saying is I'm piss out of luck?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-19-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Well, I also think about my music, my job, and going to hockey and soccer games (and subsequently narrowly avoiding death and/or jail). But the rest is pretty much Bob. With a release schedule like that, there's always something new and fresh. Actually, it's sometimes hard to digest all of that new material. I'm definitely NOT him. I know him, and sometimes go drinking with him and his crew. Bob's an amazingly talented and genuine man and I feel extraordinarily lucky to know somebody like that. He lived the dream without selling out.

1. Crazy 'Bout You
3. Dragonfly
4. Purple Dancer
5. Down At The Crown
6. I Can't Stop Loving Her
7. Open The Door
8. Lonely Without You
9. When I See (BBC Sessions)
10. Preachin' (BBC Sessions)
11. It's Alright Now (from a bootleg I have from the tour)
12. Trinity

I have really enjoyed this too!! I'm so glad someone else does...
Old 07-19-2008, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But I want DRAGONFLY live (weep sob).

In other words, what you're saying is I'm piss out of luck?
So far no vault has yielded a live version of Dragonfly--at least that I'm aware of. It's a shame since this is a great song.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So far no vault has yielded a live version of Dragonfly--at least that I'm aware of. It's a shame since this is a great song.
There are 2 live versions of "Dragonfly" that I know of, both from 1971:

Early 1971 BBC
2/71 San Bernardino, CA(this is the show with Peter Green)
Old 07-20-2008, 01:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57 View Post

Early 1971 BBC
Well, this WAS live (in a television studio...though I suspect it was partially Memorex...Kirwan seems to be harmonizing with himself):

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-20-2008, 01:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No, the Dragonfly I used was from the 1971 Greatest Hits CD, and Trinty was from the box. The rest was from Madison Blues, except where noted. Actually, my favorite of the lot may be It's Alright Now, which I'm a little surprised wasn't included on Madison Blues. I got that from a torrent that was posted a few years back. I only know of two recordings of that song, and both were included in the torrent. That's one I'm a little shocked they never revisited.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 07-20-2008 at 01:55 AM..
Old 07-20-2008, 08:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
We've been "without" them more than "with" them the last 25 years; so, I doubt life will be that difficult after they're officially "no more".
I have a hard time believing that they are completely calling it quits. I mean, they got back together for the Dance, so who is to say that that could never happen again in the future? I don't know, I still hold out hope.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No, the Dragonfly I used was from the 1971 Greatest Hits CD, and Trinty was from the box. The rest was from Madison Blues, except where noted. Actually, my favorite of the lot may be It's Alright Now, which I'm a little surprised wasn't included on Madison Blues. I got that from a torrent that was posted a few years back. I only know of two recordings of that song, and both were included in the torrent. That's one I'm a little shocked they never revisited.
I don't want to talk about anything except DRAGONFLY.

Did you see the chords I posted?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57 View Post

Early 1971 BBC
Wow! I never knew this. Are these available on cd?
Old 07-21-2008, 06:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wow! I never knew this. Are these available on cd?
No, not officially. They're both on bootleg CDs that I have. Let me know if you'd like me to post them for you.