The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've never really warmed to Law and Order. I'm glad it's not the first solo thing I bought. I don't think I would have bought any more of his albums if I had started with the first. I actually intended to buy all three at the time (this was before UTS and GOS), and Borders only had Go Insane and OOTC. I loved them both immediately. I bought Law and Order sometime later and I don't think I've listened to it more than twice all the way through. I do love Trouble, however.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Moon View Post
I'd say Out of the Cradle, it's my favourite of his solo albums. You get the experimentation on songs like Street of Dreams, but it's based in a more pop setting. It's more like Lindsey's experimenting to better his work, not just to show off his skills as a producer. Also, his lyrics are beautiful. Once again, they carry the songs more than the song carrying them.
Street of Dreams is experimental? I guess that maybe adding rain instead of percussion is a bit different but I'd hardly say it's experimental.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I love all of Lindsey's solos, but they are all different from each other. Law and Order and Go Insane are wonderful, but would probably have a new fan questioning Lindsey's choice of solo material! They're pretty different than most of his music with Fleetwood Mac.You'd probably do well to listen to Lindsey's songs from Fleetwood Mac:Tusk before any of Lindsey's solo albums because that's really where his "solo" work began.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
Out of the Cradle, Gift of Screws, Under the Skin. You can't go wrong.
But you can, Brandon. It depends on who you are & what you prefer. If you don't like his current vocal mannerisms & the heavy effects with which he records his singing voice, that dislike could ruin entire albums like Gift of Screws & Under the Skin for you.

If you prefer the higher-pitched cowboy yelping & youthfulness in his vocals, generally recorded straight on Rumours & Tusk, the dizzying & jagged guitar punctuating like a rhythm instrument, & dorky playfulness that casts everything in an ironic light, you're likely to prefer Law & Order.

If you prefer the microscopically delineated clarity of the sound field found on Fleetwood Mac albums like Mirage & Tango in the Night, you're likely to prefer Go Insane & Out of the Cradle.

If you respond best to lyrics that seem to carry the deepest denotative & connotative meaning (rather than lyrics used merely as sound painting), you're likely to dig the lyrical truthfulness & genuineness of Gift of Screws & Under the Skin.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-28-2009, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
But you can, Brandon. It depends on who you are & what you prefer. If you don't like his current vocal mannerisms & the heavy effects with which he records his singing voice, that dislike could ruin entire albums like Gift of Screws & Under the Skin for you.

If you prefer the higher-pitched cowboy yelping & youthfulness in his vocals, generally recorded straight on Rumours & Tusk, the dizzying & jagged guitar punctuating like a rhythm instrument, & dorky playfulness that casts everything in an ironic light, you're likely to prefer Law & Order.

If you prefer the microscopically delineated clarity of the sound field found on Fleetwood Mac albums like Mirage & Tango in the Night, you're likely to prefer Go Insane & Out of the Cradle.

If you respond best to lyrics that seem to carry the deepest denotative & connotative meaning (rather than lyrics used merely as sound painting), you're likely to dig the lyrical truthfulness & genuineness of Gift of Screws & Under the Skin.
And If you like all of that, start with how he started. L&O, GI, OOTC,UTS,GOS.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^ No matter what, I wouldn't recommend Under the Skin to anyone. Except to listen to the standout, Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Call me old fashioned, but I would say, start at the beginning: Law & Order. Still, for me, his best solo album as well -- but I always say start at the beginning.
Yep, if you have all the Fleetwood Mac albums he's been on, getting the solo albums in chronological order to "fill the gaps" is the only way to go.

Law & Order the logical missing step between Tusk & Mirage

Go Insane the logical missing step between Mirage & Tango In The Night

Out Of The Cradle the album Lindsey WANTED to release when Fleetwood Mac came calling to do Tango In The Night.

Too bad it took him 5 years to release it...for as incredible as it was, it had an "out dated" sound by the time it was released. (sort of the common story about most of Lindsey's solo albums...had he released them within a year or so of when he started them, they'd sound "current", but it takes him so long to finish an album, it's already "old" by the time it's released).

Between Say You Will, Under The Skin and Gift Of Screws he's finally released ALMOST all of the tunes that were being worked on for the leaked & aborted Gift Of Screws album (which DID sound pretty much current when it was leaked; just that by the time those songs were OFFICIALLY released, time had passed those songs by)...and since he has proven he CAN record & release an album in less than 2 years, he can now attempt to release something that sounds current upon the album's release.

Last edited by chiliD; 09-28-2009 at 04:47 PM..
Old 09-28-2009, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
^ No matter what, I wouldn't recommend Under the Skin to anyone. Except to listen to the standout, Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind.

I got my sister to like Under The Skin and all she listens to is the Backstreet Boys and bunch of other crap that I can't stand!

I dunno, I think its a great album. I much prefer it to Law and Order
Old 09-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHeart69 View Post

I got my sister to like Under The Skin and all she listens to is the Backstreet Boys and bunch of other crap that I can't stand!

I dunno, I think its a great album. I much prefer it to Law and Order
I couldn't get into it! It's sad, because I *wanted* to. It had potential, but there was too much of that layered-voice crap going on that it turned me off. But I do LOVE SGCYM.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
...and since he has proven he CAN record & release an album in less than 2 years, he can now attempt to release something that sounds current upon the album's release.

Heh, I am still in shock by the time between UTS and GOS!! It CAN be done after all!
Old 09-28-2009, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
I couldn't get into it! It's sad, because I *wanted* to. It had potential, but there was too much of that layered-voice crap going on that it turned me off. But I do LOVE SGCYM.
Did you get to any UTS or GOS live shows?? I think that hearing some of the songs live and in person kind of drive them home... for me at least. Kind of how a lot of Bruce Springsteen songs work... I can never truly appreciate some until I "see" them.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:48 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

I agree with ERIN... even after all these years I've yet to "come around" to LAW & ORDER or GO INSANE.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
I agree with ERIN... even after all these years I've yet to "come around" to LAW & ORDER or GO INSANE.
Hey, I really like Go Insane!
Old 09-29-2009, 01:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
Street of Dreams is experimental? I guess that maybe adding rain instead of percussion is a bit different but I'd hardly say it's experimental.
Of that album, it's more experimental than the other songs. Put it into context.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Moon View Post
Of that album, it's more experimental than the other songs. Put it into context.
I don't know. I'd call it a pretty bread-and-butter folk song. Why would you say it's experimental? I'm not getting at you, I just don't hear it

'This Is the Time' is probably one of the more experimental songs on that album simply for the fact that the vocals don't stay panned in the centre (not that that's a big experiment) and the effects over them. To be honest, nothing on OoTC really seems experimental to me. It's just a fantastic pop album.