User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-29-2006, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin
Surely you're not implying LB's appearance caused everything to stop, though. Are you?
"inferring", not "implying".
Old 03-29-2006, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
"inferring", not "implying".
Wow, seriously? What makes you think that, out of curiosity.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, Christine had already announced she wouldn't tour again...Stevie had announced she was leaving the band. BUT, I think by the end of the tour, Stevie was having second thoughts about her decision. Having Lindsey show up for those last two shows iced her decision that she no longer wanted to be in Fleetwood Mac if Lindsey wasn't there.

Being that Mick decided not to carry on as just an all-guy four piece hastened Rick's decision to leave...then Billy started working on his own country career. Leaving Fleetwood Mac a rhythm section without a band. (A quartet fronted by Rick & Billy would've been AWESOME as far as I'm concerned...just by hearing their own subsequent albums, which are great, but what a kick it would've been to hear that material with Mick & John as the motor)

It would be two years before the misguided box set was released. An impromptu video of "Love Shines" with only Mick, John, Christine & Billy was filmed. I think whatever plans to record another studio album was shelved, since Christine refused to tour, there'd be no tour to promote it.

Another two year break and then the reformed Fleetwood Mac with Billy back in the fold with Bekka & eventually Dave Mason hit the road.

Last edited by chiliD; 03-29-2006 at 02:19 PM..
Old 03-29-2006, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^ OK, I'll buy your theory about Stevie. Sounds about right.

I wasn't aware that Chris had announced that she didn't want to tour at that point. What brought her back in '97? Money? Nostalgia? Or did she just change her mind & think "hey, maybe this touring stuff won't be so bad" only to change it back again?

And you reminded me of something I've been wondering. What WAS the deal with the box set? Yeah, 25 years & all, but it still seemed like an odd time to release it. Did Mick really think it was basically over so they might as well release it, even though it had only been 4 years since GH? And although it includes most incarnations of Mac, it seems thrown together, not very cohesive, kind of messy.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bob has said, even recently, that he would do a reunion tour.
I too, have serious doubts that Christine could be persuaded(although I think if it were just one or two shows in London......maybe ). Danny's certainly not able, and even if Peter agreed, who knows if he might change his mind on any given night.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
^ OK, I'll buy your theory about Stevie. Sounds about right.

I wasn't aware that Chris had announced that she didn't want to tour at that point. What brought her back in '97? Money? Nostalgia? Or did she just change her mind & think "hey, maybe this touring stuff won't be so bad" only to change it back again?
Originally I think Christine just signed on to do the couple of shows that were filmed for the Dance VHS/DVD. Once the idea of turning the reunion into a full-blown tour came up, she came around to the idea of doing the quick American trek, probably mostly out of nostalgia, but I'm sure the paycheck didn't hurt.

Quote:
And you reminded me of something I've been wondering. What WAS the deal with the box set? Yeah, 25 years & all, but it still seemed like an odd time to release it. Did Mick really think it was basically over so they might as well release it, even though it had only been 4 years since GH? And although it includes most incarnations of Mac, it seems thrown together, not very cohesive, kind of messy.
The box set is indeed thrown together, totally uncohesive and very messy. It's a huge missed opportunity that hopefully will be rectified one of these days, though I'm not holding my breath. Mick probably just needed some money.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers
it's SO weird you posted this. I was thinking last night about what if Stevie didn't do the tour (just pondering really) and it was just the 3 guys...what about them apples...
That is an interesting concept.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
Originally I think Christine just signed on to do the couple of shows that were filmed for the Dance VHS/DVD. Once the idea of turning the reunion into a full-blown tour came up, she came around to the idea of doing the quick American trek, probably mostly out of nostalgia, but I'm sure the paycheck didn't hurt.

The box set is indeed thrown together, totally uncohesive and very messy. It's a huge missed opportunity that hopefully will be rectified one of these days, though I'm not holding my breath. Mick probably just needed some money.
Jim, I really think that's what theyre going to do next year is a 40th band anniversary Box set. Just my opinion. ANd I hope that's what they amphasize, not the 30th anniversary of Rumours because the 40th includes Rnmours as well as all the other great stuff.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers
it's SO weird you posted this. I was thinking last night about what if Stevie didn't do the tour (just pondering really) and it was just the 3 guys...what about them apples...
I'd very much be in favor of this, too. Quite frankly, given the direction Stevie seems to be headed in her career, she just doesn't need Fleetwood Mac anymore. Nor does she seem to really enjoy the experience anymore.

Of course, Lindsey doesn't really need Fleetwood Mac anymore either, but he's always loved playing with Mick and John, so there's really no reason to jettison them.

Think of it as a divorce settlement. Lindsey gets Mick and John, and maybe Neale, since he'd probably like to have a second guitar in there. Stevie gets Taku and Tuggle and her singers and the rest of the flying circus. That's a win-win right there, for the most part.

I could envision Lindsey rounding up his "guitar army" folks again...he's already got Neale, get Steve Ross, Liza Carbe & Janet Robin; the requisite keyboard player (Dan Garfield?) ...along with Mick & John.

Or, I could see Lindsey balking at doing a Fleetwood Mac project, then Mick & John getting Bob Welch & Billy Burnette back in...then it would be Mick, John, Stevie, Billy & Bob (with a truncated mini-Mac of Brett Tuggle, Taku, & Sharon & Lori.)

But, #1 on my wish list would be that Peter & Jeremy hook up with Mick & John just for a week in a recording studio and see what happens. Even if all we get is a 3 disc box set of old blues tunes, rambling blues jams & between take chatter, I'd be in hog-heaven. And, if they decided to just pack up a couple of mini-vans full of equipment and do a "Worldwide Pub Crawl Tour"...all the more fun.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
I could envision Lindsey rounding up his "guitar army" folks again...he's already got Neale, get Steve Ross, Liza Carbe & Janet Robin; the requisite keyboard player (Dan Garfield?) ...along with Mick & John.

Or, I could see Lindsey balking at doing a Fleetwood Mac project, then Mick & John getting Bob Welch & Billy Burnette back in...then it would be Mick, John, Stevie, Billy & Bob (with a truncated mini-Mac of Brett Tuggle, Taku, & Sharon & Lori.)

But, #1 on my wish list would be that Peter & Jeremy hook up with Mick & John just for a week in a recording studio and see what happens. Even if all we get is a 3 disc box set of old blues tunes, rambling blues jams & between take chatter, I'd be in hog-heaven. And, if they decided to just pack up a couple of mini-vans full of equipment and do a "Worldwide Pub Crawl Tour"...all the more fun.
I'd be right there with you That would be awseome!
Old 03-29-2006, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
Jim, I really think that's what theyre going to do next year is a 40th band anniversary Box set. Just my opinion. ANd I hope that's what they amphasize, not the 30th anniversary of Rumours because the 40th includes Rnmours as well as all the other great stuff.
I considered this as a possibility too, but it does seem like saturating the market a bit with "The Very Best" just a couple of years old and already comprising two discs. If they were to do it, they would really need to make it a niche product for the hardcore fans and include lots of unreleased or rare tracks. But then they've already thrown a lot of those onto the FM/Rumours/Tusk reissues. And there's lots of good stuff on the Blue Horizon reissues too. So at the moment a box set really seems kind of superfluous. Better to just keep up with remastering the rest of the catalogue and reissuing the discs with bonus material. Start with mirage and Tango, then Then Play On, then all the post-Green, pre-BN releases.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Quote:
I agree in principle. Probably it was originally presented to her that they'd just film a concert with a controlled audience for TV broadcast...which she probably didn't have TOO much resistance against. Then by the time they'd gotten through the initial rehearsals and through the first dress rehearsal and the first of the two filmed shows, it was probably negotiated that there'd be a home video version (VHS, LaserDisc and later a DVD when that became the industry video standard) AND a "live" CD, too. Which meant that they'd have to tour to promote 'em. She mostly likely felt trapped in a whirlpool that she couldn't get out of...then and ONLY then, no doubt after MUCH convincing, did she agree to tour ONLY the initial 40 dates of the tour. I'm sure that Mick tried to extend the tour since the cash was flowing in and he was seeing the potential $$$. Even Lindsey has been quoted as saying he was game for extending the tour. But, Christine absolutely said "no" and the tour abruptly ended after only the 40 dates.

Quote:
Quote:
I'm sure that there are some contractual & legal reasons why a more comprehensive box set would be a logistical nightmare. The whole fiasco of the litigation vs Clifford Davis is one big hassle to negotiate, since, if I recall correctly, he has a big chunk o' the pie of the pre-Heroes Are Hard To Find catalogue....and then there's the pre-Reprise stuff (Blue Horizon, Immediate). The 1992 set, had its "ups", but overall it was a VERY unsatisfying set...from all angles...the song choices, the track order, the booklet, etc.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I considered this as a possibility too, but it does seem like saturating the market a bit with "The Very Best" just a couple of years old and already comprising two discs. If they were to do it, they would really need to make it a niche product for the hardcore fans and include lots of unreleased or rare tracks. But then they've already thrown a lot of those onto the FM/Rumours/Tusk reissues. And there's lots of good stuff on the Blue Horizon reissues too. So at the moment a box set really seems kind of superfluous. Better to just keep up with remastering the rest of the catalogue and reissuing the discs with bonus material. Start with mirage and Tango, then Then Play On, then all the post-Green, pre-BN releases.
That could work too. I just think with the whole 40/30 thing, you know how marketing people like numbers. And of course, like lemmings to the sea, most of us would buy it.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Fleetwood Mac saturate the market? Surely you jest.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:45 PM
Ledgie

The chances of Christine touring again with them are really small because didn't she just get married again? Also as everyone pointed out, she didn't want to tour for Say You Will and left early on the Dance. It would be something to see all the band members reunite for the anniversary tour and I hope they do. Do you think their egos can fit on one stage tho? Maybe some bad blood too. Interesting to think about.

"If you ever feel like you don't matter, let me tell you something. To me, you're the only thing in this whole world that matters." Stevie, US Festival, 1983