User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I went off on a bit of a tangent there- I don't love or hate those songs- they are just my least favorite from the albums. In fact I thought it was really nice that Oh Daddy found itself in the top ten of that recent 'Fleetwood Mac's 14 greatest songs' list.

I'd argue a case for Make Me a Mask, Teen Beat, Lizard People, These Strange Times, Blow By Blow
Oh, yes, all of those are stinkers...and there are others, too.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:25 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauphineMarie View Post
I think Isn't it Midnight could have been interchangeable with Little Lies, as far as single-material is concerned.
Even though Isn't It Midnight, as I said, would have probably been the only other Tango track that would have done well as a single, it's not a song I personally care for much. I like the melody a lot, and I love Chris's vocal performance, but there's something about the drum track that's too ... perfect. It's produced in that big, bombastic '80s way that I think is the reason some people feel the album sounds dated. I remember Isn't It Midnight being an early favorite of mine when I bought the record in 1987, but it wore thin (for me) faster than, say, Little Lies or Seven Wonders. I still like it okay, though, and wish it had been the fifth US single. I suppose Lindsey might have felt giving Christine three of the singles was too much.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:26 PM
Senior Ledgie

At first listen, I could see how somebody would feel like it was their worst song. I thought it was terrible the first time I heard it especially thanks to that low "family man" part--I'm pretty sure I even LOL'd. It took me several listens through Tango in the Night in full to really get into the song. I actually quite enjoy it now. The 12" remixes are fun too. It's a guilty pleasure song.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
Two questions: First, could someone post these art prints for us to see? I bought the cassette single, but it didn't come with special art. Second, as bad as Family Man is, I can't think of what other Tango song would have made a better fifth single -- except for maybe Isn't It Midnight (which I know was in fact a single in some countries). I love Mystified and the title track, for example, but neither of them would have stood a chance at radio. Maaaaybe You And I Part 2?
Well Tango In The Night made the US Rock chart. I'm not sure it was specifically released as a single though. I'd say Mystified could have been next in line for release as an additional single- not sure it would have achieved much though.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Well Tango In The Night made the US Rock chart. I'm not sure it was specifically released as a single though. I'd say Mystified could have been next in line for release as an additional single- not sure it would have achieved much though.
Family Man was the single released after Everywhere. It did not chart very well but I do remember hearing it on the radio once.

Edit: Family Man peaked at #90 on April 16, 1988.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-24-2015 at 07:45 AM..
Old 05-24-2015, 09:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I like "Family Man." Its weirdness is so charming, it's just appealing to my sense of quirkiness.

I love, love, love "Isn't It Midnight." Don't care about the (admittedly bombastic) '80s production.

I also like "These Strange Times." I realize the song isn't for everyone and it certainly isn't typical Fleetwood Mac. But given that the Time album was so unlike Fleetwood Mac anyway (with the exception, of course, of Christine's songs), why not do something as off the wall as this.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
I'm not sure who this guy is, maybe he's a Ledgie? But I found his critique of "Family Man," and great artists in general, to be spot on.

Fleetwood Mac Friday #9: “Family Man”
By Nate Waggoner, May 22, 2015

Today I’m going to write about what is unequivocally the worst Fleetwood Mac song, “Family Man.” The song’s unparalleled terrible songwriting quality defies explanation, and that’s why it fascinates me.

Let’s take a listen to it first. It begins with cloying, pseudo-Caribbean percussion, that hallmark of white bands who have run out of good ideas. The first verse goes like this, “Walk down this road/ When the road gets rough/ I fall down/ I get up.” Deep stuff. The chorus is both unremarkable and the only memorable part. “I am what I am,” Lindsey sings in an atonal, sneaky cartoon cat voice, “A family man.”

Lindsey bucks the usual tradition of songs in which the speaker identifies himself as something (“I am the very model of a modern major general”) by refusing to offer any specific details as to what makes him a family man. He opts instead to just sing the words, “Mother, father, brother.” Yep, Lindsey, those are some of the main family members you can have.

What makes great artists falter? I think, as a general rule, the less a person hears the word “no,” the more that person sucks. In art, there are a million examples. George Lucas is an obvious example. Joyce Carol Oates is a brilliant writer, who I saw read and answer questions just two years ago at City Lights and she’s very sharp and funny still, but her Twitter feed reveals a compulsion to share sophomoric, embarrassing thoughts that border on “Why is there no white history month” level. You just know no one has questioned her decision-making in person since 1966. I get the sense the Coen Brothers still hear “no” pretty often, not just because of their bleak portrayals of artistic frustration, but because of the consistent variety, experimentation, and thoughtfulness in their films.

So that’s my theory—Tango in the Night came five years after the triumphant Mirage, and its subsequent, glorious tour. “Family Man” follows the great “Little Lies” on the album. It stands as a reminder not to let yourself slip in the wake of success.

http://the-tusk.com/2015/05/22/fleet...-9-family-man/
Agreed. Lindsey is a brilliant songwriter but Family Man, in my opinion, is one of his all time worst and never should have appeared on any album, FM or solo.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 05-24-2015, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Family Man is a great instrumental and I actually like parts of the lyrics. I like the fact that he uses "I fall down, I get up" (he's done it plural too). Even though it's just lazy writing which he doesn't even intend ("faces of glass"), to me when they repeat lyrics, it makes them deeper to me.

I get a kick out of him saying mother, father, brother and not sister -- because he doesn't have one.

But the "I am what I am what I am" and the echoey vocals are so grating that it can't be forgiven. It's not boring. It's not lame. It's aggressively slapping me.

Michele
Old 05-27-2015, 11:38 AM
Ledgie

That article was kinda funny, but I'll have to disagree. "Family Man" is not the worst FM song. If anything, it's fun and silly. That honor goes to "Empire State" and "Do You Know." I feel like this writer did not think about the latter, at least. "Empire State" sounds like Lindsey went solo for a song, thinking Mirage was Law and Order. "Goodbye Angel" should have been in its place. But "Do You Know": 'Do you know...all there is to know about love? And if you do...then let me know...If I have learned enough...to make it without you.' Come on folks - this song is beyond sappy. I'm sad "Heart of Stone" and "Love Shines" weren't on Behind The Mask, but "Do You Know" definitely is among the worst.

Also, I don't know what the hate was on "Road Runner" - I love that song. Although I'll take "The Derelict" over it for Dave's contributions.