User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
putting SILVER SPRINGS into the RUMOURS running order isn't necessarily true to Fleetwood Mac's wishes. RUMOURS is RUMOURS is RUMOURS, I feel. SILVER was removed from the track list for this reason or that, but the aesthetic upshot is that the decision to do so was made & carried out, & aesthetic history cannot & should not be rewritten.
Amen. And no matter how unjustified its original exclusion may have been, the fact that it reemerged as perhaps THE song to epitomize the drama that was Rumors enabled that song to take on a new life that the others did not. We'd already heard "Dreams" 3 billion times before that night. But the unearthing of Silver Springs was an event.

Only the acoustic version of "Big Love" rivaled its importance in the set.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Silver Springs 7" Mix

I'd love to get the original mix of Silver Springs from the Go Your Own Way 45 on CD. The version found on The Chain comes closest to this original mix, but it's different. The same is true for the versions found on The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac and the Rumours reissue.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
I'd love to get the original mix of Silver Springs from the Go Your Own Way 45 on CD. The version found on The Chain comes closest to this original mix, but it's different. The same is true for the versions found on The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac and the Rumours reissue.
Daniel, do you mean that the mix is literally a different mix (between the 45 & THE CHAIN box)? Was every track on THE CHAIN mixed again? Could you describe in detail some of the differences? I never noticed it, but I never listened carefully for differences. Could the differences you hear be attributable to the remastering rather than the mix?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Daniel, do you mean that the mix is literally a different mix (between the 45 & THE CHAIN box)? Was every track on THE CHAIN mixed again? Could you describe in detail some of the differences? I never noticed it, but I never listened carefully for differences. Could the differences you hear be attributable to the remastering rather than the mix?
The main difference is at the end of the song during Stevie's ad libs. In The Chain version, her ad libs seem farther back in the mix, sounding almost muddied, whereas on the 45, they seem to jump right out. The remastering isn't all that great either. I'm not sure if that was just a technological limitation, or if Mick was pushing too many buttons.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think you should also include it as well....esp from the remasters. You have many versions to add as well. I don't think they didn't include SS on Rumours because of how long it was...although I still wish we had the original intended 7:00 or so minute version made from the original 45 that was released. Yes we do have the masters/demos but I still don't think the full 'original' version/complete one has been released??(from the 'edited' version as a single) Am I correct in saying this?? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Because on the Chain box set it is the orginial 45 version but not the full 7 minute or so version.....I guess Mick is waiting another release of something down the road?? Who knows.
Anyway, I'm guessing they didn't put SS on Rumours because of 'flow' of songs...as beautiful as it was....it somehow over powered the other songs....I personally love it on it....but I do understand the being pure to the original art in itself........I would still include it period.....
..."There is a legend passed down through the ages...down through the crystal visions...down through the crystal clear-water fountain...the charmed ones remain...They are mine (you remain...ooh)...."
Old 08-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Senior Ledgie

Include it, it's such a beautiful song. And it's on the extended CD, so you may as well.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It is definately NOT on my iTunes as part of Rumours!

By the way, the Silver Springs from Crystal Visions vinyl is UNBELIEVABLE.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
It is definately NOT on my iTunes as part of Rumours!

By the way, the Silver Springs from Crystal Visions vinyl is UNBELIEVABLE.
Ha, I never even opened my vinyl. I didn't know it would sound different. You make me want to try.

Michele
Old 08-13-2008, 06:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Ha, I never even opened my vinyl. I didn't know it would sound different. You make me want to try.

Michele
It might be just me romanticizing vinyl, but for some reason I feel like I've never heard SS sound so good.

That said, the history of Silver Springs runs from b-side legend to return-of-the-repressed on The Dance. It does not belong on Rumours, in my opinion (I like hearing the album as it was experienced at the time of its release; as it impacted the culture).

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
It does not belong on Rumours, in my opinion (I like hearing the album as it was experienced at the time of its release; as it impacted the culture).
I kind of agree with you...but it's such a good song...I can see that it probably would've been a nice single for them HAD it actually been on Rumours. And it may have been a staple of the live set during all the following tours. It's a shame it didn't really see the "light" until the Dance era.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
I kind of agree with you...but it's such a good song...I can see that it probably would've been a nice single for them HAD it actually been on Rumours. And it may have been a staple of the live set during all the following tours. It's a shame it didn't really see the "light" until the Dance era.
But that's what made The Dance so momentous and made that song so cathartic. That's a great moment in pop. . . the return of Silver Springs.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It does not belong on Rumours, in my opinion
It DID belong to Rumours, in some way, and definitely did belong to the RUMOURS ERA.

Why? because that song was not completely archived and forgotten in a studio warehouse, it appeared as side b of Go your own way vynil single. So.. it may fit.

But if listening an album just the way it was actually released is the most important thing, then don't included it.
I like my Rumours special edition with the bonus cd, but the experience of listening an original Rumours album (a chance i never had, though I had it with Tusk and Mirage, sound wonderful!) would be great also, kind of traveling in time..
Old 08-14-2008, 12:34 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
But that's what made The Dance so momentous and made that song so cathartic. That's a great moment in pop. . . the return of Silver Springs.
Oh I agree. I actually prefer the Dance version. But the Rumours version is very beautiful too.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
Oh I agree. I actually prefer the Dance version. But the Rumours version is very beautiful too.
Right. But I guess maybe I'm not making sense. Rumours exists.

I often play Go Your Own Way and Silver Springs back to back to get the feeling of having that single record (which hopefully one day I will actually own).

I just think it changes Rumours to stick it on there when it doesn't belong there. We don't know what really happened or why it wasn't included. I mean. . . there's so much meaning in A-side / B-side switch from Songbird to The Chain. I can't imagine what they were thinking sticking Silver Springs in the middle of that (Songbird MUST end side 1, The Chain MUST open Side 2). "I Don't Want To Know" is also an essential song to the album's meaning: The Chain - YMLF - IDWTK - Oh Daddy - GDW.

So if in some strange parallel universe Silver Springs were to have been included on Rumours, it would have meant TWO songs would have had to be cut, the tracklistings would have been totally different, and who knows how it would have effected how other songs played (Go Your Own Way might have been longer etc. We just don't know).

Silver Springs gets to be the greatest B-Side of all time: what else would have been worthy to share a disc with Go Your Own Way??? That's enough for me. (Until Morrissey's "Christian Dior" but that's another story. . .)

And because it was that -- buried -- it got to EXPLODE in The Dance in a way it couldn't have otherwise -- and thank goodness. That single-handedly reinvigorated and validated the significance of Fleetwood Mac.

That said, I know we live in the era of mp3 and we get to play Make Believe (which is what I named my tracklisting of 15 solo stevie-lindsey-christine tracks from the 2000s. . . a never-released masterpiece sigh). I don't have a problem with that because we get to analyze these experiences by putting them in different contexts. It's just that when Rumours has Silver Springs it's no longer Rumours. . . it's something else. . . and maybe something wonderful!

If anyone takes me as being upset, I want it to be known that the degree to which that is true is aimed entirely at the people who put out the Rumours redeux -- and not anyone who wants to have fun with mp3 technology. Silver Springs really should have been put on the bonus disc of that Rumours re-release (or even just listed as a bonus track at the end of disc 1).

Old 08-14-2008, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by visitas View Post
I can't decide if Silver Springs should be included as a track on Rumours in my itunes...
This is really interesting. A simple question started a long discussion.

visitas, finally what did you decide?