The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There's TONS of great music being produced if you care to look. I'm sorry but the blanket statement that no good music is being made is flat out BS.

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 02-15-2013, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, in general, I really don't like the "new" or "modern" music, especially those excessively promoted bands or singers (except for Adele). You know who they are...
- I like some girls like Katy Perry, Lana del Rey and Marina (& the Diamonds) but not for their music. They're so beautiful!!!
- There's some bands with one song I like, but only one. Like U2 with Miss Zarajevo, or Coldplay with Trouble...but nothing else...
- Madonna was so good before the end of the 90s. Now I really don't like her.
- There's some artists from all time that bore me. I don't remember them all, but the list is long.
- And, please, don't kill me, but let me include Beatles and Rolling Stones, and this is the first time I say it. I only like two or three songs from each (Free as a bird and Real Love // I can't get no satisfaction, Start me up and Everybody seen my baby). I respect them, but they're not my inspirations.

Mark.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox4000 View Post
There's TONS of great music being produced if you care to look. I'm sorry but the blanket statement that no good music is being made is flat out BS.

Mick
I agree with you wholeheartedly, but if someone isn't sure where to look, it can seem like top 40 radio is all that's out there.

The radio makes me crazy - seems like the same 15 songs over and over all day.
Classic rock stations are just as bad - it's the same 45-60 songs over and over and over.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 02-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh well. To each his/her own. Sorry .I'm not into it any more.

The old days .there used to play one good tune right after another .Today I hear crap after crap .one good tune .then crap after crap.

WildHearted Yes you are probably right.Even Stevie is getting hit with the freeloaders like she said.

Karma .Yes you are probably right.Maybe I should give those artists a spin.None of them ring a bell.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 02-15-2013, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox4000 View Post

Mick

Sorry Its not like the old days.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, there is allot of great music being made today. It just depends on what you like. I suggest that everybody who likes the indie type stuff, look up the band, The Silent Comedy, particularly the album Common Faults.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A number of music critics/journalists were incorporating the term "monoculture" more and more into music writing in last year. "Monoculture" was when people could reasonably expect to be exposed to the same pop culture because everything came through the same media outlets. Monoculture has been shrinking.. Nowadays you can customize your pop culture experience so that you block out Music Genres XYZ or movie actors ABC, etc, and all that's left in the mainstream is, to be blunt, the lowest common denominator. To find anything else you have to go out and seek the niches because it won't come to you as easily. You have to know where to look.

Not that I hate everything mainstream, but it can all start to sound the same which diminishes the whole experience for me. It's usually not a problem for me because I either listen to music online or on public radio, which has a good mix of music, but I have to avoid a lot of top 40 radio to be able to enjoy it (rather than getting sick of it), which says something a little sad.

That said I don't think there is no good music these days, not even close. There's so much music out there that it's hard to keep up, IMO, especially without radio and MTV operating in a way that'd help me.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
Sorry Its not like the old days.
I'd have to disagree with you, in part, but not completely.

The main difference I see between now, and say, 1970-1985, is that back then almost everybody could get a fair shot at radio play. DJs picked their sets, and had a lot of control over what they played.

These days, an artist doesn't get airtime unless thier label provides incentives or kickbacks to the radio monopoly. The DJ can't play songs that are not on the approved corporate playlist.

The heart and humanity has gone out of radio, and the deep cuts and 99.9% of the music released in the U.S . & Europe went with it.

When you stop to consider that, in 2010 for example, over 75,000 albums were released in the United States alone. Only 1,215 of them sold over 10,000 copies. Of those 1,215 that sold over 10,000 copies, you probably only heard material from 30-50 of them on the radio. That's only six-one-hundredths of a percent, so you can extrapolate that 99.93% of the music released in the United States each year gets no radio airtime.

http://www.billboard.com/biz/article...n-22-from-2009

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/stor...511tenthousand
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case

Last edited by KarmaContestant; 02-15-2013 at 02:20 PM..
Old 02-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

ABBA
Taylor Swift
Kanye West
Barbra Streisand
Neil Diamond
Kenny Wayne Shepard
The Smiths
The Cure
Michael Jackson
Kenny Loggins
Perry Como
Debby Boone
Culture Club

And the entire genres of:
'80s Hair Metal
'90s Grunge (with the exception of a few Nirvana tunes)
Punk Metal
Rap
Wagnerian Opera
Broadway Show Tunes
Old 02-15-2013, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I'd have to disagree with you, in part, but not completely.

The main difference I see between now, and say, 1970-1985, is that back then almost everybody could get a fair shot at radio play. DJs picked their sets, and had a lot of control over what they played.

These days, an artist doesn't get airtime unless thier label provides incentives or kickbacks to the radio monopoly. The DJ can't play songs that are not on the approved corporate playlist.

The heart and humanity has gone out of radio, and the deep cuts and 99.9% of the music released in the U.S . & Europe went with it.

When you stop to consider that, in 2010 for example, over 75,000 albums were released in the United States alone. Only 1,215 of them sold over 10,000 copies. Of those 1,215 that sold over 10,000 copies, you probably only heard material from 30-50 of them on the radio. That's only six-one-hundredths of a percent, so you can extrapolate that 99.93% of the music released in the United States each year gets no radio airtime.

http://www.billboard.com/biz/article...n-22-from-2009

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/stor...511tenthousand

Ok .I realized I jumped the gun and being too blunt with my statement.I should of said "Mainstream music""Top 40" .They are probably alot of artists that I probably enjoy listening too.I just got to unglue the radio knob and get it off the moldy oldies stations and try something new.

I agree whats happening with radio.

Thanks for those links.Very interesting info.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
Ok .I realized I jumped the gun and being too blunt with my statement.I should of said "Mainstream music""Top 40" .They are probably alot of artists that I probably enjoy listening too.I just got to unglue the radio knob and get it off the moldy oldies stations and try something new.

I agree whats happening with radio.
May I suggest that you create a last fm page to find new stuff. Its free if you live in the states, UK, or Germany. Rate Your Music is also a good site.

Links:
http://www.last.fm/home
http://rateyourmusic.com/
Old 02-15-2013, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'msoAfraid95 View Post
May I suggest that you create a last fm page to find new stuff. Its free if you live in the states, UK, or Germany. Rate Your Music is also a good site.

Links:
http://www.last.fm/home
http://rateyourmusic.com/
Ok thanks for the advice.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Ledgie

Please don't kill me for this. I have my own opinions and I respect everyone else's - we all have different tastes and preferences; I love hearing what other people like and dislike, that's the beauty of music. There'll be times where I'll be ''I love how eclectic you are'' and there'll be times when I'll be like ''HOW CAN YOU LISTEN TO THAT?!'' But hey, that's me.

One Direction
ABBA
U2
AC/DC - I don't really dislike them, I just found them a bit too noisy.
Queen
Lady Gaga
Evanescence
Within Temptation
Beyonce
Coldplay
KISS
Bon Jovi
Michael Buble - a complete Frank Sinatra wannabe in my opinion.
Justin Bieber
Erasure
Katy Perry
Paramore
Bullet For My Valentine
Placebo
Black Sabbath
Old 02-15-2013, 06:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Mumford & Sons
Lady Gaga
Britney Spears
Bruce Springsteen
Backstreet Boys/N'Sync/98 Degrees/et al
Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder
Guns N Roses
fun.
Beyonce/Destiny's Child
Kanye West
Nicki Minaj
Ke$ha
Bruno Mars
Katy Perry
Pink
Eminem
Christina Aguilera
John Mayer

...there are so many more, but my work day is over & I'm going home!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Britney Spears

Backstreet Boys
Blasphemy.