Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2023, 01:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Monday Morning and Warm Ways as the white album’s first U.S. singles?

I was just told a bit of “White Album” history that I didn’t know. Are others aware of this, if in fact it’s true that Warm Ways and Monday Morning were released as U.S. singles, but flopped?

This is a quote from a Facebook user named Kenneth Paule, talking specifically about the U.S., not Europe:
“I worked for Warner Bros. Records and you are wrong. The first album was released in April 1975 and "Over My Head" was not a hit until the fall of 1975. "Rhiannon" was a hit in the spring if 1976. The band toured from April 1975 until the end of the year playing small venues or opening for famous artists. Record companies always release a single when an album comes out and the artist goes in tour. "Warm Ways" was released when the album came out and was a flop. Then "Monday Morning" came out in late summer and was a flop. But the record company released the third single, "Over My Head" because the band was doing very well on tour. Lindsey and mostly Stevie were getting a lot of attention. "Over My Head was a hit" and then "Rhiannon" was and then "Say You Love Me" was. The band has often said that "Over My Head" was the first single because it was their first hit. And they didn't want to advertise to their fans that it took three singles to have a real hit.”