User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Well we know they've both mentioned working with an outside producer. I wouldn't be surprised if Dave Stewart has been chosen as The Man. I will have to hear Stevie's album to fully judge what I think about Dave producing FM.

Of course, that might not be dispositive. Dave has produced for a variety of people and even if I didn't like IYD that doesn't mean a colloboration between Dave and Lindsey wouldn't be different and promising, so . . .

Yes, I can believe Stevie said that to Lindsey and that she was serious and that he didn't object (because he wants another group album and will compromise to get it). But obviously David's input will be different working with Lindsey and the band than it was working with Stevie alone.

Michele
Right. Because then Dave's got three other guys to get approval from. And, I can just see Stevie, being the "peacekeeper" that she is (ha!) throwing up her hands and saying "fine nevermind, Dave is fired" and then we'll get to hear about how much SHE wanted Dave, but Lindsey couldn't leave his ego at the door and how wicked, evil, mean and nasty he is and in order for the world to have one more Fleetwood Mac album which the world needed so desperately badly, she had to be the one to sacrifice and let Lindsey win...
Old 02-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Registered

haha, that's funny, there being a "next Mac album".

Over/under of newly recorded commercially released songs as "Fleetwood Mac" from this point onward? I set it at 2.5.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I honestly think she's saying this (and more than once) to emphasize just how much she's loved working with Dave and how proud she is of their work together. I would definitely not take her literally and imply that FM would not make another record unless Dave worked on it. That's just silly. She may want that but knows this would have to be discussed with the other band members who would not necessarily agree. She's talking out of her a**.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireSister View Post
I honestly think she's saying this (and more than once) to emphasize just how much she's loved working with Dave and how proud she is of their work together. I would definitely not take her literally and imply that FM would not make another record unless Dave worked on it. That's just silly. She may want that but knows this would have to be discussed with the other band members who would not necessarily agree. She's talking out of her a**.
Maybe. But, she has said she told Lindsey she wasn't doing another album - Fleetwood Mac or other unless Dave was producing... And, they've been talking about bringing someone else in anyway...
Old 02-26-2011, 07:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=SapphireSister;945783]I honestly think she's saying this (and more than once) to emphasize just how much she's loved working with Dave and how proud she is of their work together. I would definitely not take her literally and imply that FM would not make another record unless Dave worked on it. That's just silly. She may want that but knows this would have to be discussed with the other band members who would not necessarily agree. She's talking out of her a**.[/QUOTE]

As usual
Old 02-26-2011, 07:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireSister View Post
A voice of reason! Sadly me and you seem to be forgetting that Stevie is totally serious any time she says anything...
Old 02-26-2011, 09:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's possible she'll change her mind, but I think she meant it. She'll change her mind when the album flops.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

For so many decades now, she's been a puzzle. She appears most of the time to have no outwardly emotional or artistic reason to remain a member of Fleetwood Mac, & yet she never just flat-out leaves the band, either.

What the hell does she actually want with or from them? Is the little insecure girl inside still looking for acceptance from them?

There is neurosis at work here (in her words & actions), but I can't quite characterize it satisfactorily.

But I will say that, if she were a genuinely good songwriter, she'd get classic, powerful songs out of this schizoidness. The fact that she doesn't, year after year, is just one more reason for me to doubt her self-professed artistry. That, too, is beginning to seem like a neurosis working itself out.

She'd make a fascinating subject of a book--written by a real writer. You're all always saying how you're looking forward to Stevie's own book, but that would be as lifeless & noncommittal & even inert as most of her music-making is these days. We'll never get a great book from her; but maybe one day we'll get a great book about her. The mistake her fans make is ascribing their attraction to her to the belief that she's the Da Vinci--she is not, but she is the Mona Lisa.

moviekinks.blogspot.com

Last edited by David; 02-26-2011 at 11:02 AM..
Old 02-26-2011, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

^I just said all of the exact same things on the Stevie board, David... and I was jumped all over! Like I said on the Stevie board, nearly debilitating insecurity is most certainly the root cause of all of Stevie's... Stevieness . She really wasn't taken seriously at all within the band for her first 10-15 years. And I honestly think she's been making them repay that the past 10-15 years. She gets an obscene cut of the touring money. She badmouths Lindsey and the band in the press every chance she can get. She almost seems like somebody who's trying too hard at a high school reunion when it comes to Fleetwood Mac.

Regardless, I'm really not sure adding Dave Stewart into the mix would be the answer. I think it needs to be somebody with a clean slate. Nobody who is automatically on either Stevie's or Lindsey's sides. Nobody who has a history with the band or their members. Because Lindsey will feel pushed into a corner by Stevie's henchman if not, and will rebel. Then we may have no album at all... or even worse: a bad one.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I think it needs to be somebody with a clean slate. Nobody who is automatically on either Stevie's or Lindsey's sides. Nobody who has a history with the band or their members. Because Lindsey will feel pushed into a corner by Stevie's henchman if not, and will rebel. Then we may have no album at all... or even worse: a bad one.
See, i don't think the fact that Stevie likes working w/ Dave automatically means he would be on any member's side when it comes to FM, and that he has no ego (even if Stevie keeps repeating that, which I find somewhat disrespectful to Dave, although she seems to mean it as a positive thing, i guess to underline some other people she created music with were egomaniacs). Dave is respected artist in his own right, and has, is and can work with a number of other artists; calling him Stevie's henchman is grossly belittling him, imo.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:53 PM
Senior Ledgie

I think there is alot to be said about Mick, John & Christine. Has anyone heard them bitch about each other the way Lindsey & Stevie do - No, they just want to make great music.

Every interview Stevie does their is some dig at Lindsey but at the same time any interview with Lindsey he keeps going on about the Mac being a "big machine" blah blah snore....This really irritates me because when has Lindsey ever had to change his style to accomodate a Mac album - Never !!

His songs on Tusk/Mirage/Tango/Say You Will are hardly what you would call mainstream. Ironically the most mainstream Lindsey has ever done is Out of the Cradle - His bloody SOLO album.

*And breathe*
Old 02-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie really has not been badmouthing Lindsey in her recent interviews.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Ledgie

Default End of FM?

I think if IYD turns out to be a success, you might see the end of FM if Lindsey (or Mick) are not so hot to have Dave produce. And personally, unless they can bring Christine back in to do a few songs and backing vocals, I think Stevie and Lindsey should stick to their solo projects. After all, GOS and TISL were both better than SYW.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

So many interesting points have been raised. First, a point of clarification: I do not believe Dave Stewart would just be a mindless drone who is loyal only to Stevie Nicks. But the reality is, Fleetwood Mac is all about fragile, battling egos. Lindsey would no doubt feel threatened by Dave being there. Lindsey has always felt the world is against him in regards to his post Rumours experimentations. He talked about how he felt the entire band undermined him even during SYW. I think Lindsey would just feel ganged up on by Stevie bringing in Dave Stewart into the mix. I'm not saying it's logical at all .
Old 02-26-2011, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Stevie really has not been badmouthing Lindsey in her recent interviews.
That's true. She hasn't said anything since the Unleashed tour ended, indicating that that must have been an ok experience for her.

Also, I wouldn't expect Dave to be on Stevie's side Louie. Rather than cater to her, Dave seems to have drawn Stevie out. If anything, he knows how to butter her up, so that doing something that she would reflexively resist is easier for her. I could see him colloborating with both equally, but in different ways. If he appears to have no ego, he might not bother Lindsey. Lindsey can work with people fine, as long as they aren't telling him what to do. If they offer suggestions and not orders, he can bend -- although not exactly like a willow. Dave could be the spoonful of sugar that makes Lindsey's medicine go down, for Stevie and vice versa.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 02-26-2011 at 01:54 PM..