The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

'That's Alright' is one of the most logically integrated lyrics Stevie Nicks ever wrote. It doesn't shift persona, or subject, or theme, which just shows that she CAN do it when she tries (or doesn't take cold feet about people guessing what/who she's addressing). I like the pretty simple, full-on country arrangement, but I do acknowledge that it sits oddly on the album as a whole.

'Straight Back' sounds like a very generic slice of FM musical pie. Almost like someone would play as a parody, or jam at a soundcheck. Tidy, moody rhythm section (check). Echoey, mystical vocal/lyric (check). Wee bit harmony here and there (check). It's anonymous but I still kinda dig it as a vibe (man).

'Gypsy' is a song that I love almost in spite of the way it's produced here. For me, it foreshadows where LB ended up with the very worst aspects of TITN (i.e. fussy, self-indulgent and sterile). I don't like the guitar arpeggios under the vocal but I do like the guitar when it's by itself.

Overall, though, I think SN's are among the stronger songs on Mirage.

Loz
Old 10-22-2010, 08:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

1. That's Alright- Far too country for my liking
2. Straight Back- It's OK, but I never got the hype
3. Gypsy- Still remains one of my absolute favorite Stevie songs. Need I say more?

You can add me on Facebook
Old 10-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That's Alright--I love this song. Loved it from the first time I heard it. Still love it. I wish Stevie would do a whole album of country songs just like this.

Gypsy--Brilliant pop song. In 1982 seeing this video on MTV in all it's glory was very sweet. Being a FM fan then was incredible.

Straight Back--Like Louie said, this song is a continuation of songs that started with Rhiannon into Gold Dust Woman into Sister's of the Moon into Straight Back. A cool mystical theme. I really love this song a lot. I bought Mirage on the day it was released and several months later was completely shocked when a new friend played me her copy on cassette and I realized her version had added vocals on Straight Back that the LP version did not contain.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Gypsy- Well what can I say? This song encapsulates the amazingness that is Fleetwood Mac. It is one of their best songs ever and never seems to bore me. However, I wish the extended version would have been on the album.

Straight Back- Amazing. Love it. Very very Stevie Nicks.

That's Alright- It took me years to enjoy this song. However, I can rock the **** out of this song. I think Stevie's vocal is stellar and lyrically it's pretty amazing. That being said, it is so not Fleetwood Mac. I love the song, but I just never felt it fit on the album. It should have been a B-side for sure.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A weird mixed bag of songs. Not necessarily "mixed bag" in terms of quality, so much as tone--both from each other and from the rest of the album.

"That's Alright" -- what stands out is the harmonies which are breathtaking.

"Straight Back" -- Sounds like Flesh & Blood-era Roxy Music. Not a bad thing.

"Gypsy" -- Recently I was musing to myself as to my alltime favorite "singles" and only two Mac songs made the cut to be in the running: "Go Your Own Way" ... and "Gypsy."

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Final discussion thread for Mirage.

Stevie's Songs

1. That's Alright
2. Straight Back
3. Gypsy

3 songs - seems to be the standard for Stevie.
In order of personal preference:

a) Gypsy (the "25 Years" version actually)
b) That's Alright
c) Straight Back (sounds like it should have been on a solo album instead of "Mirage" to me.)
Old 10-24-2010, 02:51 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
The only one to me that is listenable is "Gypsy".

Although, the LP version of "Straight Back" is different (and a whole lot better) than the version that was released on the CD.

So far, I've heard two covers of "That's Alright" that I like MUCH better than this God-awful original.
I do not often disagree with ChiliD but I really like 'That's alright'.
Sometimes (another great song) I play the CD just for this song.

GJK
Old 10-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Straight Back--Like Louie said, this song is a continuation of songs that started with Rhiannon into Gold Dust Woman into Sister's of the Moon into Straight Back. A cool mystical theme. I really love this song a lot. I bought Mirage on the day it was released and several months later was completely shocked when a new friend played me her copy on cassette and I realized her version had added vocals on Straight Back that the LP version did not contain.
Yes, that's a good point, I can see that sequence now. I think, for me though, that SB is the least compelling of the four.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi! I made it with the songs of Lindsey and Christine, now with Stevie's!

1. That's Alright. Hahahaha is so funny! Sometimes I think is not a song of Stevie, well, maybe the lyrics, but not the music! Is good and I like it.
2. Gypsy. Mybe my favourite song of FM, or not, I don't know. I know the history behind it, my eyes glow when I see the video, I love the end solo, the extended version's too. I couldn't say anymore!
3. Straight Back. Amazing. Incredible song, strong vocals, nice performance of Christine (as a duet sometimes), strong drums and bass, a very "Stevie" song. I love it!!!

That's all, regards!!!! (but maybe she deserved one more song, not only three!)
Old 02-20-2012, 10:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Straight Back is one that grew on me but it's still not one of my favorites. That's Alright and Gypsy, however, are. Gypsy is obviously a masterpiece, and I love That's Alright for it's consistency and the harmonies etc.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Gypsy" is one of my all time favorite songs ever, all time favorite Mac songs and all time favorite songs written by Stevie. It's everything I love about Stevie as tempered by Lindsey's production and enhanced by his guitar work. Love.

"That's Alright" is a really catchy country song. I love the nod to the BN days, pulling out from the coffee plant demo vault. It could arguably be called "filler" but I still really like it and think it could have been a country hit at one point by the right artist.

"Straight Back" is my least favorite, but if I ever start listening to it I will usually let it play all the way through and always think why don't I give this song more of a chance. It's not bad, just doesn't grab me out of the shoot like the other two.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That's Alright- I do love this song, however the Buckingham Nicks version is far superior. This one drags a little and feels weighed down.
Gypsy- VICTORY!!!!
Straight Back- This is my second favorite SN tune here. Very mystical, soaring vocals.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

That's Alright - I think this was one of the first songs from Mirage that I learned to sing along with. Still love it.

Gypsy - Obviously great. I'm weird because I actually like live versions a little better, but it's a terrific song.

Straight Back - This took a very long time to grow on me at all, and even now I don't actively put it on, but I'll let it play through. The lyrics are pretty bad though...
Old 02-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love the whole of Mirage, so I obviously love all 3 Stevie songs.

I still find Gypsy sublime and is my fave, but I love the other two as well.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Surprise, surprise, I love all 3! "Gypsy" is the best overall with "That's Alright" and "Straight Back" as second and third in that order.

I don't have anything bad to say about any of those songs