User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
She doesn't want to do an album. She wants to get that Buckingham/Nicks album out and then go back to recording with Dave.
How do you know this? I've never heard anything about Stevie ever expressing a yearning motivation to get the Buckingham Nicks album re-released. Both she and Lindsey have always been very ambivalent about it, despite knowing they have legions of fans who are waiting for it. It could potentially garner the most attention and biggest sales figures they've had in years. However, par for course -- timing, opportunity and cooperation are not their strongest suits.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 12-10-2012 at 06:59 PM..
Old 12-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
How do you know this? I've never heard anything about Stevie ever expressing a yearning motivation to get the Buckingham Nicks album re-released.
She's been spouting about it in her press -- that they should do it for the 40th anniversary.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think that people are upset about them making a living for themselves, but I think that some fans are disappointed and disillusioned that they're are not more "fan friendly" by assuming that the fans don't want to hear new music, don't want them to change their setlist, don't try and promote themselves with a descent Web site, no official You Tube channel, and not trying to make the tickets available to the fans. I personally don't understand why people on here seem to think that the band members are hurting for money, and constantly need to tour to make money. If they need money then it's their own fault, they've all made millions of dollars over the years. Furthermore, I think that the fans are frustrated that they don't use that money to be more creative and make new music, and change their setlist, instead of repeating themselves for what appears to be for more money. All in all, the Mac is not doing nothing that other artist like the Eagles are doing, but since this site is for Mac fans, a lot of people are venting their frustration that so much more could be done. There are definitely more groups and artist that work to give their fans more of what they want and not just repeating themselves for what appears to be just for the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
^Um, they are right! You can't make money off recorded music unless you can push multi million units & that will never happen for them again.
And, she does love the road. And, she does love the money & the luxury. I don't know why everyone's upset that they want to make money. This is their job! And it's always been their job. Why do ya'll think they busted their butts in the early days? They wanted to make it big - so they could afford to keep doing it! I'm glad. I would love their lifestyle too. It's nice!
Old 12-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
The current band is the 1975-era lineup of Nicks, guitarist Lindsey Buckingham, bassist John McVie, and drummer Mick Fleetwood.
Nope. The current band is the 2003-era lineup of Nicks, guitarist Lindsey Buckingham, bassist John McVie, and drummer Mick Fleetwood.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
lol. and what did she mean by the songs that are 30??
i don't know what she meant
What she meant was that with her current level of energy and her crispy clear vocals, these days she sounds like and moves like she did, when she was in her 30's. Perhaps she feels the same way about Lindsey also.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
you know, whenever i or other LB fans try to interpret what he said, all the chiffs jump on us and say "how can you know what he meant better than SN who knew him like forever?"
Love it elle!!!! This should be the replacement word for chiffonhead! I love you, sooooooooooo much for your creative mind.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
What she meant was that with her current level of energy and her crispy clear vocals, these days she sounds like and moves like she did, when she was in her 30's. Perhaps she feels the same way about Lindsey also.
I interpreted it differently.

I think she meant the songs are "30" as in.. the songs are 30 years old. As in, they sound like they were recorded 30 years ago, they sound like old-school FM.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_drifter333 View Post
I don't think that people are upset about them making a living for themselves, but I think that some fans are disappointed and disillusioned that they're are not more "fan friendly" by assuming that the fans don't want to hear new music, don't want them to change their setlist, don't try and promote themselves with a descent Web site, no official You Tube channel, and not trying to make the tickets available to the fans. I personally don't understand why people on here seem to think that the band members are hurting for money, and constantly need to tour to make money. If they need money then it's their own fault, they've all made millions of dollars over the years. Furthermore, I think that the fans are frustrated that they don't use that money to be more creative and make new music, and change their setlist, instead of repeating themselves for what appears to be for more money. All in all, the Mac is not doing nothing that other artist like the Eagles are doing, but since this site is for Mac fans, a lot of people are venting their frustration that so much more could be done. There are definitely more groups and artist that work to give their fans more of what they want and not just repeating themselves for what appears to be just for the money.
I don't think they are hurting for money, but come on - it's gotta take a lot to maintain & remain in that nice lifestyle...

As for the setlist - what do other vet acts do? You mean the Eagles, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Dobbies, Heart don't do their hits? I would be curious how much new music they incorporate into their set list -- and I would LOVE to hear album cuts or new stuff -- but I'm realistic. I know that the diehard fans like me who would love that are not in the majority and they do have to play what the masses want to hear.

The website/youtube/social networking thing -- well, since they're paying people to do that and they're not exactly sitting around checking the status themselves then what are they gonna do? It's a situation again (similar to the label issue) where they are probably WAY down on the priority list of some intern who is busy updating Beiber or Taylor Swift -- not Fleetwood Mac. And, didn't Warner have some war with youtube? I'm not sure where they are with that.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Yes, Stevie finally copped to this is a few interviews during the In Your Dreams era and was even more blunt during her IYD doc Q&A's this fall.
Yes, I remember Stevie saying that her advisors told her there was no reason to make albums. She even repeated this when she went to the Twilight premiere and said that made her change her mind about recording new music, no matter what people were telling her, no matter if the music sold or not.

But I'd like to see the interviews where she said her management was keeping her on the road. I missed that. I think she tours to make money for sure. She also has a lot of people who depend on her financially and I'm sure she feels an obligation to Waddy, Sharon, etc. But I've never heard her say that her management told her just to keep touring. I think she gets bored after awhile at home and probably asks for more tour dates after awhile. Solo dates I'm speaking of here. I mean, even if her management didn't have a short solo tour planned each year, I think she'd want one, just for kicks.

Michele
Old 12-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not sure which thread to post this in, since the topic is popping up in so many of them, but regarding the fans not wanting new music:

I'm not trying to defend the band's statements, but they aren't totally off base. When we say "fans," we are talking about ourselves, Ledgies and others just like us. And yes, we want new music. But we are a pretty small group of people. When the band talks about fans, they are talking about the thousands of people filling those arenas each night, and those people are there for the old staples. When I saw the SYW tour, it was shocking how many people went for beer or bathroom breaks when Lindsey was doing "Come," and when I saw the TISL tour, there was plenty of grumbling on the way out about Stevie's omission of "Landslide."

Last edited by MikeInNV; 12-11-2012 at 07:06 PM..
Old 12-10-2012, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
But I'd like to see the interviews where she said her management was keeping her on the road. I missed that.
I do remember her saying that when she wanted to tour with Tom Petty in 2006, her management told her to consider that her vacation. Is she still with Howard Kaufman? Lindsey once unfavorably referred to him as "big, bad Howard."
Old 12-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
I do remember her saying that when she wanted to tour with Tom Petty in 2006, her management told her to consider that her vacation. Is she still with Howard Kaufman? Lindsey once unfavorably referred to him as "big, bad Howard."
Yes, she's still with HK. Funny about that vacation. I don't think Stevie lacks for vacation time. She manages to get plenty of time off - several weeks or months each year. She doesn't tour non stop as she likes to claim.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
I'm not just trying to defend the band's statements, but they aren't totally off base. When we say "fans," we are talking about ourselves, Ledgies and others just like us. And yes, we want new music. But we are a pretty small group of people. When the band talks about fans, they are talking about the thousands of people filling those arenas each night, and those people are there for the old staples. When I saw the SYW tour, it was shocking how many people went for beer or bathroom breaks when Lindsey was doing "Come," and when I saw the TISL tour, there was plenty of grumbling on the way out about the omission of "Landslide."
True, a disc jockey, just checked Stevie when she discussed wanting to explore lesser known songs in concert and said she had to perform the classic hits. He was saying, "don't say you HAVE to do it. We want you to want to perform those songs." And he basically cut off her talk about rarer tracks. I would expect a DJ to be a little more open-minded, but he represents those casual fans out there. That's what they want.

Michele
Old 12-10-2012, 11:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
I do remember her saying that when she wanted to tour with Tom Petty in 2006, her management told her to consider that her vacation.
Oh yes. I remember that. I don't think they wanted her to do those Petty shows. It seemed like they thought it was diminishing, being an ongoing cameo player, but Stevie said she got treated like a queen on the road, they gave her what she wanted (can't remember what perks those were at the time) and she had the best time.

Michele
Old 12-10-2012, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Originally Posted by vivfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
I interpreted it differently.

I think she meant the songs are "30" as in.. the songs are 30 years old. As in, they sound like they were recorded 30 years ago, they sound like old-school FM.
IMHO it's a bit of both explanations.

Stevie HAS had a re-invigoration with IYD and her creative collab with Dave. I think her and Lindsey have reached an understanding and reminiscing stage of their relationship..for now..that can only add to that positive energy. She's in a relatively good place. Her music has sounded strong vocally, we all know the changes of her tones and fragility i.e. WH> RAL > OSOTM > etc. And I can see how she (and vivfox!) may relate her described current "sound" on these new songs to younger days.

I think that is further restated by Stevie describing the songs as "sounding 30." I don't think WildHearted meant the songs were written 30 years ago..LB has kind of described their origin and meaning via Rolling Stone. But I do think the melody, harmonies, instrumental/backing track could be reminiscent of post Rumours-esue versus more comparable to SYW. Which I think is good all around!

I'm really excited about them both revisiting this sound from a mature perspective, as well as their "roots" as a couple, band, etc. Can't wait. It better pay off..