The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's weird it's only avail on iTunes as a movie, not the cd. So it won't play on my ipod but will play on my iphone.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
It's weird it's only avail on iTunes as a movie, not the cd. So it won't play on my ipod but will play on my iphone.
yes, i keep hoping they'll have MP3 versions and songs in itunes - seems stupid not to

so i watched interview part of DVD - initial observations:
  • there's no behind the scenes filmed at Saban available as a preview on his website, that would've been nice... so it seems that no extra footage from Jokerstyle productions other than the interview made it in.
  • any LB fan can just skip through the first 1/2 or possibly even 2/3 of the interview b/c it's all the same usual stuff.
  • the last part of the interview is where it becomes interesting - he analyzes each of the songs that made it to the DVD / live version, and there some new stuff there.
  • interesting part of the interview starts about the time he says "i have no apprehension about putting something new in front of an audience"
from the concert part, just listened to encore so far since the rest was on Palladia already. so weird to see Turn it on with everybody just standing there in confusion considering how much dancing craziness it elicits nowadays on the tour
Old 11-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle;
So weird to see Turn it on with everybody just standing there in confusion considering how much dancing craziness it elicits nowadays on the tour
The first three rows were reserved for special guests that only stood up for standing ovations and GYOW. The hardcore fans started in Row 4 (and there was an aisle between rows three and four). It was kind of weird/awkward to not have the front rows standing and grooving the entire concert.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.amazon.com/Songs-Small-Ma...s_2959141011_4

Songs From the Small Machine - Live in L.A. [Blu-ray] (2011)
Rated: NR | Format: Blu-ray
5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (5 customer reviews) | Liked (6)
List Price: $19.98
Price: $14.99 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
You Save: $4.99 (25%)
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.
Only 13 left in stock--order soon (more on the way).

guess it's selling better than they expected... Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #4 in Music Videos & Concerts

DVD+CD version - Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #14 in Music Videos & Concerts

also re smart marketing - SWS MP3 DL is $5 again (so it quickly climbed back on the list of 100 MP3 rock albums)
Old 11-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just ordered my DVD..cause i don't have a blu-ray player. Anyway looking forward to it. Maybe hearing some of this sh*t live will make me Warm to SWS.

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 11-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default DVD and LB website

as usual, lindsey's website is on the ball - no announcement on the front of home page or news page, no DVD listed as available in the music section or in the store...
Old 11-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm out of town so my DVD has not been watched, but I can't wait. Will buy another one as a gift for my aunt as well. She's an official LB stan now!

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 11-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Swedish review

translation from original Swedish via google translate:
http://www.bluraytips.se/?p=4160&utm...-small-machine

Lindsey Buckingham: Songs From the Small Machine
NOVEMBER 3, 2011 , P. SUNDIN

Lindsey Buckingham: Songs From the Small Machine, Live in LA

Genre: Music
Region: B
Number of Discs: 1
Released: 2011-10-31
Running time: 142 min
Sound: DTS 5.1 HD MA
Image: 1080i Widescreen 1.78:1
Special Features:
Interview with Lindsey Buckingham

Lindsey Buckingham is one of the really big names in rock and roll heaven, maybe not so much because of his solo career, but because of his great contribution to the rock group Fleetwood Mac, where he plays guitar and produces discs. Then he had an affair with Stevie Nicks that would become the group's singer because Lindsey did not set up otherwise you could say that he founded Fleetwood Mac as we know it today. In addition to this great effort has Lindsey Buckingham released a total of six solo albums from the early 80s to date, which last was named Seeds We Sow. It is in connection with the release, which he took to the Songs From the Small Machine tour that was filmed in April 2011.

Tracks:
first Shut Us Down
2nd Go Insane
third Trouble
fourth Never Going Back Again
fifth Big Love
6th Under The Skin
7th All My Sorrows
8th In Our Own Time
ninth Illumination
10th Second Hand News
11th Tusk
12th Stars Are Crazy
13th End Of Time
14th That's The Way Love Goes
15th I'm So Afraid
16th Go Your Own Way
17th Turn It On
18th Treason
19th Seeds We Sow

When the concert starts we are invited to a very intimate experience when Lindsey faces the audience alone with acoustic guitar in the show's first five numbers. He says that it was like that he started his career in a warm conversation with the audience. Although the songs are acoustic, does not mean they are especially dim when Lindsey cleans hard with the guitar and may show the gallant gitarrknäppare he is as he roars out his emotional texts such as Never Going Back Again, which even induces goosebumps on yours truly. After the five introductory songs invite Lindsey Buckingham so up his three-man band on stage and the concert takes off for real. It is a tight group he has assembled that despite good scoop and push constantly lets focus be on frontman and his peculiar yet incredible guitar playing together with a rock soul that really gives it all. We are treated to songs from throughout his career but is primarily the songs from his latest album, Seeds We Sow as the basis for the show and they can absolutely to stand on its own. They are nevertheless not without shining up a little extra when Fleetwood Mac songs show up, for example, Second Hand News and Tusk.

Towards the end of the concert rounds off one neat and easy with the song Seeds We Sow from the latest album which is a very nice song and a spectacular ending to a magnificent concert without being too audience ratings summarizes Lindsey Buckingham's career successfully.

The picture quality is good and I really like the lighting on the show that never get like that annoying as some live shows tend to be when they are recorded. The colors are clear and crisp, yet warm and restrained. Close-ups are no problem and stage pictures are filmed from a good and simple angles, which is appreciated when you do not complicate it, but lets the music and the show itself at the center. The only negative on the picture is that it is not very sharp when the camera is too far from the scene.

The sound is nicely upscaled in DTS Master Audio and sound right through the entire show cleanly. How to get good sound you rarely to the live album and what I think is most powerful is how flashy Lindsey acoustic guitar sounds from the speakers. Good sound engineers together with a pure guitarist doing enough in his question.

Additional material consists of an open-hearted interview with Lindsey Buckingham, where he tells all about the new album and give us ideas about the songs on it. We are also told about Fleetwood Mac's origins and how he sees the difference of working in a group and as a solo artist. The expression Songs From the Small Machine is coming from because he believes his solo career as The Small Machine while Fleetwood Mac, The Big Machine.

I can highly recommend Songs From the Small Machine to rock fans in general, and Fleetwood Mac / Lindsey Buckingham fans in particular. A brilliant songwriter and guitarist in a very complete concert to be experienced.

The film: 4 / 5
The picture: 4 / 5
The sound: 4.8 / 5
Extras: 2.5 / 5
Total: 3.8 / 5

Lindsey Buckingham: Songs From the Small Machine available from Megastore.se and costs which 215kr.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Rock 'n' Roll Hall Of Famer Lindsey Buckingham just may be one of the very few Americans who changed the face of British Rock. As the male lead singer for Fleetwood Mac, this singer/songwriter/guitarist/producer took an underground blues band and helped make it into one of the most respected and best-selling bands in the word.

I don't know why this pushes my buttons, but it does. Damn it, Fleetwood Mac was LONG over being a blues band by the time BOB WELCH joined, much less Lindsey Buckingham. AND, even when they WERE a "blues band", they were FAR from being "Underground", they were outselling the Beatles & Stones COMBINED at the time.

I wish the liberal media would stop perpetuating this myth!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Senior Ledgie

I ordered mine like a month ago via Amazon and received it on Tuesday. Too bad the CD version is 3 songs short of the DVD, but oh well. It's nice that the track listing is the exact same one as he's still doing now. It's almost like having a souvenir of the Napa show, but I still think his voice was better and stronger than it is on the DVD.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonBielski View Post
Too bad the CD version is 3 songs short of the DVD
I'm very surprised that 'Turn It On' wasn't included on the CD! My husband liked the live version so well that I had to make an mp3 for him from the Atlanta footage we had!!
Old 11-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Doesn't everyone just rip the audio directly from DVDs these days? I haven't even taken the Bass Hall CD out of its holder yet. That way you have the whole show together.

I'm looking forward to watching it tomorrow!
Old 11-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
Doesn't everyone just rip the audio directly from DVDs these days? I haven't even taken the Bass Hall CD out of its holder yet. That way you have the whole show together.

I'm looking forward to watching it tomorrow!
I will be ripping the audio, yes... but I like to have the whole package offered.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just got done watching the DVD. It was excellent. The stuff from SWS was all much better live. With the exception of In Our Own Time. Still can't stand that song. Stars Are Crazy is a billion times better live. It was interesting.....You could see the sweat pouring off him during ISA. The other thing guys and gals is how unbelievably boring he is during his audience chatter.....god But I love him anyway. Captivating live performer....when um....playing and singincg lol

The highlight for me was Treason. So great to have a live recorded version of that.

All and all Amazing show.......the wife loved it too.

Mick

-Tom Waits

Last edited by bluefox4000; 11-05-2011 at 05:03 PM..
Old 11-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
I don't know why this pushes my buttons, but it does. Damn it, Fleetwood Mac was LONG over being a blues band by the time BOB WELCH joined, much less Lindsey Buckingham. AND, even when they WERE a "blues band", they were FAR from being "Underground", they were outselling the Beatles & Stones COMBINED at the time.

I wish the liberal media would stop perpetuating this myth!
It's fun when Chili is passionate about something enough to get this angry.

Seriously, though. It really does bug the hell out of me when people claim that the band were worth very little until Stevie and Lindsey "rescued them". Oh yeah. Because the amount of good quality albums they released before hand really agrees with that idea . Stevie and Lindsey took the band into a new area. They didn't make them a greater rock/blues band. They turned them into something else entirely. People tend not to see the difference.