Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
when you put it that way. SHN, GDW and The Chain were never released as [classic] singles and didn't hit the charts, but are still hitting various air-waves on most classic rock stations. unlike some of the chart-hitting songs.

see to me, this board is fun and play, not anything serious. so i don't really think we need to define what is a hit according to some billboard or music business definition or playbook. here what we want goes. so i think what MSB is doing now is a good way to go - he's collecting the votes of people that might be interested in his polls and selecting the songs according to the feedback he gets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Thanks, elle. We Ledgies make the rules and play by them! It's all really good discussion, too.

I still say the songs that aren't featured live anymore kinda have a disadvantage as far as the perception of a "hit".
Gee, I didn't know we were just making it up as we went along and not concerned with what was really a hit. I didn't know the Ledgie rules were strictly 'opinion' based instead of having any legitimate reason.

If that's the case, pretty much the entire FM/BN era catalogue is a "hit" with me, with few exceptions. Just because I like 'em!
Old 03-03-2012, 09:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Gee, I didn't know we were just making it up as we went along and not concerned with what was really a hit.
i knew you would have to say something!

see, it's actually still good here with MSB at least partly playing it democratically and by some rules.

over on lindsey board we are running the polls all over the place, and selecting the songs for any individual poll in more of a benevolent dictator kind of way.

Last edited by elle; 03-03-2012 at 09:18 PM..
Old 03-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

see, it's actually still good here with MSB at least partly playing it democratically and by some rules.
Seriously! But, I wasn't trying to be a butt about it -- I thought we were trying to legitimately determine the facts!

Quote:
over on lindsey board we are running the polls all over the place,and in more of a benevolent dictator kind of way.
Well, what other kind of way would you run a Lindsey "His Middle Name is Dictator" Buckingham poll??
Old 03-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, what other kind of way would you run a Lindsey "His Middle Name is Dictator" Buckingham poll??
yeah, i was just thinking as i wrote that how fitting that actually is!
Old 03-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Gee, I didn't know we were just making it up as we went along and not concerned with what was really a hit. I didn't know the Ledgie rules were strictly 'opinion' based instead of having any legitimate reason.
I'm just letting everybody determine what they feel is a hit and shouldn't be in this contest. A "hit" is in the eye of the beholder, with most everyone having varying opinions.

Quote:

over on lindsey board we are running the polls all over the place, and selecting the songs for any individual poll in more of a benevolent dictator kind of way.
Yeah, I've altered my original plans alot versus what I wanted.

I've tried following your polls, but I get kinda lost sometimes! Lots of songs with tight voting results.

Quote:
Seriously! But, I wasn't trying to be a butt about it -- I thought we were trying to legitimately determine the facts!

Have I mentioned how much I love the Ledge and you guys! Like I said earlier, it's all good discussion.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
I'm just letting everybody determine what they feel is a hit and shouldn't be in this contest. A "hit" is in the eye of the beholder, with most everyone having varying opinions.

Yeah, I've altered my original plans alot versus what I wanted.

I've tried following your polls, but I get kinda lost sometimes! Lots of songs with tight voting results.

Have I mentioned how much I love the Ledge and you guys! Like I said earlier, it's all good discussion.
Thanks! I feel the same -- sorry about not having a clear understanding about the determining factors. I probably still would go by my stringent rules myself - but I understand how/why others (like elle) feel non-singles were "hits" to them or to the fan base.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks! I feel the same -- sorry about not having a clear understanding about the determining factors. I probably still would go by my stringent rules myself - but I understand how/why others (like elle) feel non-singles were "hits" to them or to the fan base.
No problem.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I probably still would go by my stringent rules myself
benevolent dictatorship yet again

Quote:
but I understand how/why others (like elle) feel non-singles were "hits" to them or to the fan base.
just to clarify my view - i actually don't think these songs are necessarily hits to me or the fan base. i think in that case the song selection would again be completely different.

by "hits" i guess i think of the most popular songs in general, over the years - whether that would be because these songs were being released as singles that charted high, or being [over]played on the radio, tv or in public places over the years, and stood the test of time (worked themselves into a fabric as LB would say).

the songs that are always played during FM concerts but are never played on any classic radio stations or public places or as tv tracks (like ISA) would not count as hits in my mind, b/c they are not known by general public, however much an avarage FM fan would know them.

the way i think of a "hit" is something along the lines like somebody said over at the pre-rumours forum:
  • albatross version that was released as a single was not a hit
  • albatross version that became hugely popular and maybe even the most known FM song was a huge hit - even though it may have never charted as a single

similarly, if you look at lindsey's holiday road which is arguably his biggest solo hit, when it was released as a single it's highest chart position was only 80-something. but with time HR became a huge hit, and almost everybody knows that song (even if they don't know who sings it!) and you can still see that stupid video on VH1 to this day.

Last edited by elle; 03-03-2012 at 10:30 PM..
Old 03-04-2012, 12:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
albatross version that was released as a single was not a hit
albatross version that became hugely popular and maybe even the most known FM song was a huge hit - even though it may have never charted as a single
I love Albatross but was unaware there are two different versions. Can someone please pm me the two?

I'm also interested in any live versions anyone has. Those can be posted publicly because they are not commercially released.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I love Albatross but was unaware there are two different versions. Can someone please pm me the two?

I'm also interested in any live versions anyone has. Those can be posted publicly because they are not commercially released.
i might have misunderstood but that's what i got from this post http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showpo...78&postcount=2. i wouldn't be surprised if there are several released albatross versions though.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
benevolent dictatorship yet again
I guess?

Quote:
just to clarify my view - i actually don't think these songs are necessarily hits to me or the fan base. i think in that case the song selection would again be completely different.

by "hits" i guess i think of the most popular songs in general, over the years - whether that would be because these songs were being released as singles that charted high, or being [over]played on the radio, tv or in public places over the years, and stood the test of time (worked themselves into a fabric as LB would say).

the songs that are always played during FM concerts but are never played on any classic radio stations or public places or as tv tracks (like ISA) would not count as hits in my mind, b/c they are not known by general public, however much an avarage FM fan would know them.

the way i think of a "hit" is something along the lines like somebody said over at the pre-rumours forum:
  • albatross version that was released as a single was not a hit
  • albatross version that became hugely popular and maybe even the most known FM song was a huge hit - even though it may have never charted as a single
Elle, that was confusing as hell...

Albatross is not a good example to use for me. I know the song but I didn't know there were different recorded versions.

Quote:
similarly, if you look at lindsey's holiday road which is arguably his biggest solo hit, when it was released as a single it's highest chart position was only 80-something. but with time HR became a huge hit, and almost everybody knows that song (even if they don't know who sings it!) and you can still see that stupid video on VH1 to this day.
This one's easy -- HR is popular with a crowd -- because they remember it from the movie!!
Old 03-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I don't know if you were a fan of the band in 1979 or if you were even born yet but I must tell you the anticipation for that album was so immense. This was the followup to Rumours! Tusk was the perfect lead off single. I'll never forget the first day they played in on the radio in Sept. of '79 & my jaw almost dropped to the floor. It was so bizarre yet awesome at the same time. Everyone who heard it was like WTF, but in a cool way.

Oh I was a fan of the band at the time. Saw them on the Tusk tour both nights at Madison Square Garden. I bought Tusk the day it came out and cut school to go to a friends house to listen to it.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel69 View Post
Oh I was a fan of the band at the time. Saw them on the Tusk tour both nights at Madison Square Garden. I bought Tusk the day it came out and cut school to go to a friends house to listen to it.
What format?

I bought Tusk the day it came out, on 8-track!! I couldn't wait to get home, and shove it in the player, alongside the "8-track shim"(was I the only one who had sh*tty 8-track players, that you had to wedge something in beside the tape, to get it to play properly?).

I was pretty shocked by the sound, which of course had little in common with Rumours, but this was at the height of my fandom, so nothing could stop me from falling in love with it!
Old 03-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I couldn't wait to get home, and shove it in the player, alongside the "8-track shim"(was I the only one who had sh*tty 8-track players, that you had to wedge something in beside the tape, to get it to play properly?).
I forgot all about that! Yes, I totally remember folding up a piece of paper and wedging it underneath the 8-track to hold it in the right position. Hilarious!
Old 03-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
I forgot all about that! Yes, I totally remember folding up a piece of paper and wedging it underneath the 8-track to hold it in the right position. Hilarious!
Wonder why that format died?
Closed Thread