Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-15-2004, 10:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
I used to LOVE shallow pop music
Hillary

Do you think FM sometimes writes shallow pop music? I think they do. The image that comes across makes all the difference, IMO. If a 14 year old was singing Little Lies, it would come off as TRL material. I also think not writing their own songs is an issue and makes it come across as uninspiring and meaningless.

Shania does write her own material, but the audience she is targeting is the reason why she is "pop country". She knows how to sells records. Talking about boy/girl problems in a childish way just doesn't do it for me, but it does for a 17 year old. I do have to say that Woman in Me is a great song!
Old 12-15-2004, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

If you have ever seen Shania's video for her song "UP" she brings out a trunk with all her favourite stuff, ie: a AC/DC t-shirt (a "Mutt Lange" reference?, a Canadian hockey jersey, pictures of her parents & so on, it's really nice, and there on the wall behind her, hanging amongst a bunch of pictures is the "Rumours" album cover, has anyone noticed that? It's really cool
Old 12-15-2004, 10:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17
Shania does write her own material, but the audience she is targeting is the reason why she is "pop country". She knows how to sells records.
You are so right, country listeners & rock listeners buy her albums.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Do you think FM sometimes writes shallow pop music? I think they do.
Yeah, they do. But I justify myself listening to it because there is real music thrown in the mix as well. (Something was grammatically incorrect about that sentence, but I don't know what it was so hell with it). Songs like "Everywhere" could be considered shallow pop music, but I still prefer Christine's voice to Shania's, and that makes a big difference to me. That and the fact that "Everywhere" has sentimental value to me.

But I know deep down that we should just listen to what we enjoy listening to, and that's that. I'll try to adopt that viewpoint, but then one of my brothers will make fun of me for listening to shallow music and some reference will be made to how I'm the youngest and not the brightest in the family. So, I've always got my reasons for being uptight, stupid as they are.

Um, sorry for the meandering there.

Hillary
Old 12-15-2004, 10:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerchic
If you have ever seen Shania's video for her song "UP" she brings out a trunk with all her favourite stuff, ie: a AC/DC t-shirt (a "Mutt Lange" reference?, a Canadian hockey jersey, pictures of her parents & so on, it's really nice, and there on the wall behind her, hanging amongst a bunch of pictures is the "Rumours" album cover, has anyone noticed that? It's really cool
Oh! I've only seen parts of that video so that why I've never noticed.

Hillary
Old 12-15-2004, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I do have to say that Woman in Me is a great song!

She sounds like a dying cow on that one. I much prefer Shania singing up-tempo songs....her ballads are kinda painful.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
You poor, deluded little creature.

There's a difference between refusing to accept that things like that happen all the time and refusing to accept it on a moral level. It's no secret that stars who "help" charities get things in return, so I fail to see where you're coming from. It's not that I refuse to accept that, it's that I refuse to condone it because I find it morally corrupt.

Shania Twain is famous for her diva demands when it comes to charitable organizations, it's no secret how she acts and what she demands. There is also a difference between a charitable organization paying for travel and a charitable organization paying for first-class travel. There is quite a difference between a charitable organization paying for lodging and paying for five-star hotel suites and footing the room service bill. There is quite a difference between a charitable organization giving their celebs fruit baskets as thank-you's and giving them Rolex watches and diamond earrings. Call it what you want, but it's disgusting and the "stars" who partake in it should be ashamed of themselves as human beings. Maybe instead of demanding such unnecessary and tacky things, they should demand that the money that would have been used to pamper their sorry asses stays in the organization and pays for a wheelchair for someone who needs one and can't afford it.

It's a question of morality.
We had a discussion about charitable donations, taxes, etc., awhile back wherein you said you would never get that people should get any tax break or that companies should make donations for favorable public exposure. Sinilarly, charities know that they will make tenfold what they give the stars (most of which is donated or obtained at a reduced cost BTW). That is where I was getting that. If this is not what you said - then I am wrong (but I know you said it ) or you said it and have changed your mind - so be it.

P.S. Please produce the proof on Shania. I wanna see where she demanded a Rolex

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 12-15-2004, 11:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
She sounds like a dying cow on that one. I much prefer Shania singing up-tempo songs....her ballads are kinda painful.
Doubtful

Party For Two is horrible and sounds worse than a dying cow.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
Don't hold back!

Hillary
Old 12-15-2004, 11:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Doubtful

Party For Two is horrible and sounds worse than a dying cow.
I agree with ya Curtis, but on the other hand, I don't think it's representative of all of her up-tempo songs. She usually sounds better than she does on that particular song, which is among the worst she's ever done.

Hillary

P.S. Honesty is so fun. I like writing all this stuff and not prefacing anything or following it up with the obligatory "IMO."
Old 12-15-2004, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerchic
The brain child behind Shania's success is her husband Robert Mutt Lange
I don't know...

I think what's more behind Shania's success is her huge, beautiful voice and gorgeous bod. Her husband is definitely part of her sound, but he's not the one up there shaking his ass on stage night after night and belting out those songs. Wow, and I'm not even a Shania fan!!

I just hate it when a man gets all the credit for a hard working woman's success.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
I also think not writing their own songs is an issue and makes it come across as uninspiring and meaningless.
This is something I will always disagree with. Go tell that to Dionne Warwick after having listened to what she did with Burt Bacharach in the '60s. It's never been about who writes what, it's about how you perform that stuff that creates this illusion of authenticity and sincerity to people. As Burt himself said: without the right singer, you never have a song. Or as Sinatra said, "a singer is essentially an actor".

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 12-15-2004, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass
This is something I will always disagree with. Go tell that to Dionne Warwick after having listened to what she did with Burt Bacharach in the '60s.
Or Linda Ronstadt from any decade! She has always labeled herself as an interpreter of songs rather than a songwriter which is fine by me because she has one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard AND she's kickstarted many talented songwriters' careers in music like Warren Zevon and The Eagles. She's tops in my book
Old 12-15-2004, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller
I don't know...

I think what's more behind Shania's success is her huge, beautiful voice and gorgeous bod. Her husband is definitely part of her sound, but he's not the one up there shaking his ass on stage night after night and belting out those songs. Wow, and I'm not even a Shania fan!!

I just hate it when a man gets all the credit for a hard working woman's success.
Shania's first album, self titled, bombed, Mutt Lange comes into the picture, gold ever since. Shania wouldn't be up on that stage shaking her ass off in the first place if it weren't for her songs. One word to describe Shania's songs is "catchy" and that is due to Mutt's co-writing, composing and producing. Don't get me wrong, I love Shania, and not just because she's Canadian (but that helps ) but her songs are just so damn "catchy" & her hot little bod don't hurt either

I hate it too when a man gets all the credit for a hard working woman's success but sometimes it does happen
Old 12-15-2004, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I think "Still the One" was a GREAT song. AND - the video was HOT. So, that certainly helped

save the cheerleader - save the world