Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragandbone View Post
Daytime:
I am using Obagi sunscreen/moisturizer (my mother gave me a bunch as a(my mother gave me a bunch as a treat, and when it is gone, I am back to Alba Botanica 30 spf moisturizer)
Obagi is the stuff. I wish someone would give me Obagi as a present. Maybe that's why I'm so hard to shop for.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
Obagi is the stuff. I wish someone would give me Obagi as a present. Maybe that's why I'm so hard to shop for.
AND - that is why we shop so well together and have done so essentially all over the country

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 09-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber View Post
Yeah, younger, like when my skin was even more oily than it is now.
My skin is always oily. Pretty much. The sunscreen I wear adds to that. I've just accepted it. My mom has aged well, so I'm hoping that will be my reward for having oily skin, too.

awwww..I'm sorry! well, if it makes you feel any better, my skin is so dry that I break out with every single product. That's why I have to wear the expensive stuff. Well, expensive for ME anyway! 15$ for foundation is high for me!! ha ha. anyway-I just don't like the "caked-on" look, and so I know if I have just a little bit of shine in a few places I'm doing good. I've never had oily skin, so do you get blemishes more???
Old 09-01-2006, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle2677 View Post
awwww..I'm sorry! well, if it makes you feel any better, my skin is so dry that I break out with every single product. That's why I have to wear the expensive stuff. Well, expensive for ME anyway! 15$ for foundation is high for me!! ha ha. anyway-I just don't like the "caked-on" look, and so I know if I have just a little bit of shine in a few places I'm doing good. I've never had oily skin, so do you get blemishes more???
I can't speak for her - but I'm also an oily skinned person and YES - I get so many blemishes. I HATE it.

I never had oily skin until I moved to the East - then I guess the humidity and moisture in the air just didn't agree with me...so starting about two years ago my skin really started going downhill

I used to have just flawless and beautiful skin - now, not so much

Being back in the west has helped though - my skin is already clearing up and I'm not all oily. I'm not completely dry either - I like a happy medium - which I feel I have achieved here
Old 09-01-2006, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Me, too, but don't try to wear sunscreen or throw on a hat. What're you, wrinklecidal? Just do it!
I do it 80% of the time, but the truth is that most of the damage was done in the first 20 years of my life, in which I spent ALL DAY at the beach, and lived at the beach. I did wear 8spf on my face through high school, and wore a visor, but I was in the sun all day.
I stopped tanning at about 21, and wore foudnation that blocked the sun for quite a few years, and I lived a vampire existence of going out after dark, mostly. In the last decade, I have been a little careless, because I have just spent more time outside, gardening, and hiking, and going to the beach again.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Like Amber, my lashes are pretty much my only facial assett. (omg, I just forgot how to spell asset - asett - ass...forget it.) I used to buy Clinique, but I just don't want to spend the cash anymore, especially since my skin never looks good no matter what I use. The one product I really liked was their cream foundation.

You see, I have terribly oily skin, with uneven coloring & huge pores. HUGE pores - esp. on my cheeks right next to my nose. Anything I use must be oil free & non-comodegenic (or whatever the words is.) I don't break out that often anymore, but when I do they're big & painful & gross. And it's usually on my upper lip or jawline - real attractive. Anyway.

*Wash face with Purpose bar soap. My brother's dermatologist recommended it to him years ago (he had terrible acne, way worse than mine ever was) and I've used it since. Cheap, and it works, not too drying.

*Apply Purpose moisturizing lotion w/SPF 15. Not as cheap, but it lasts me a while

*Trim, tweeze & shape bushy brows as needed

* Apply foundation. Right now, it's Cover Girl or some other cheap brand. Doesn't cover ****. It's OK & I don't break out. I got annoyed spending so much trying out products that I just settled. I think I will try that one Dee's using though. My issue is that my oily skin seems to literally eat away at my makeup during the day, so you can't tell I'm wearing any - and not in a good way.

*Cheeks - I cannot apply blush correctly. Powders don't last on my skin, and I love gel or cream blushes, but I just can't seem to apply it in the right area. I try for the "apples of my cheeks" and look like a clown. I ease up & put on less next time, and you can't even see it. Lately, I've just lightly circled my cheeks with a big fat round brush & some peachy powdered blush. The hell with it.

*Eyes - neutral shadow for work/every day, don't care much about the brand. Using Clinique freebie right now. I like browns. If I'm whoring it up, I love a deep violet (kickass with my green eyes) or smokey gray. I always get creases no matter what I've tried. I always wear black liner, not much on the bottom though - Maybeline or something similar. Again, heavier if I'm going out. My lashes are long & pretty dark, so I only use mascara at night. Right now, I think I'm using a Clinique freebie. Makes me realize that it's probably too old & I need a new one.

* Lips - I have never, ever, ever found a good lipstick that stay on & doesn't dry out my lips. Ever. Clinique feels great & I love their colors, but it doesn't last. I've tried several "color stay " or "long last" products, but they dry out my lips too badly. So lately, it's been cherry Chapstick. I found some cheap (Rimmel?) lipstick that I put on if going out.

Wow. I really paint a pretty picture of myself in that description, huh? I guess my deal is that I love makeup, but I'm annoyed with the fact that nothing makes me look so good that I can rationalize spending the money on it. Poor me.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I like Alba, but I'm thinking the Obagi is the whole skin care regime that my skin care lady sells in her office? It reduces pigment issues and stuff? Looks really cool, I couldn't afford the system last time 'round. What do you think?
I think it is really good, but I didn't buy it. If I were spending my money, I would get some Renova, instead, or just use Porcelana (with all that lard, or vaseline in it) which has the same base ingredient (hydroquinone) as the Obagi lightener does.

Quote:
I have never heard of Dr. Hauschka. What's the deal? What are the ingredients like? Burt's Bees is cool, but they don't make colored lip product that is dark enough for my coloring.
Looky here
They use really good ingredients, and there are so many weird cancer-causing agents, and toxins in makeup, usually. I like the powder and the foundation and the mascara. The stuff is pricey, though. I use makeup so sparingly, that it seems ok to spend the money. I have a basket of makeup with items from a decade ago. The only things that I don't keep are lipstick (goes rancid) and mascara, and of course I toss things that just look like they have gone wrong.
Burt's bees lipstick doesn't have very saturated hues, but that might be because they are avoiding the questionable pigments—don't know.
Quote:
Lancome tends to rock, I can't really afford it, but I totally mank my friends'. Especially in the foundational arena. I'm suprised you have such dark lip colors, but I approve. I mean that because blonds usually tend to go with non blue reds, orange reds instead. What color are your eyes? I couldn't tell. They looked greenish brown from your pics.
My eyes are deep blue, sort of in the grey range. I don't think the corals and oranges look so good with my skin tone, though they look nice with my hair color. I don't always use dark lip colors, sometimes I use a sort of tawny color, almost nude. I like that too.

Quote:
I'm glad. If people look good with less makeup, they should do it. Course, I've never really had alternate hair colors to play with, so perhaps I'm biased. I think you're right about the fair thing, too much makeup looks weird. I'm actually starting to think that over the top makeup styles mainly look good on Asians and Hispanic people. Because they have such a dark, blank palette to put it on. Like how everything looks good with black. Does that make sense? Like, it looks good when they have a huge liquid liner line with blue eyeshadow, inexplicably.
I can hardly wear anything. My skin isn't light or dark, I have very much red undertone, and my eyes aren't brown or green. Also, my hair is dark, which is cool, but my skin is just olivey enough to where I'd look ridiculous going lighter with my hair. And my splotchy red undertoned skin combined with my not brown eyes make my face already to strangely colorful and patternful to support putting much actual color on it. Basically, my eyelashes are my only strength. Everything else I put on has to be fairly subtle, or I look ridiculous. I don't, and have never, worn blush. I hardly even understand blush. Too much red already on my face. I put makeup on to cover natural blush. I can support mauvish purpleish, some greens, and lightly golden brown things on my eyelids. That's it. Also, I've never worn makeup on my eyebrows. I don't really get that. Unless you are blond? Maybe I should, my eyebrows are thin, but dark, but spread out. It's the classic italian unibrow, but really thin hair, so you might not notice. They also grow way above and beyond the basic shape. But so thin. Also, I have to have dark raisin, maroon, etc. for my lips. Or clearish. Anything else is just super ugly. It's like I have the just wrong skin tone for anything, really. God forbid any orange tones enter my world.

I always love how blondes look really great with brownish tones. Do you rock the brownish?
The cool thing about olive skin is that you really don't need makeup. It isn't that I can look really good without makeup, in fact, I am sure I often look washed-out, esp. my eyes. It is just that I can't be bothered, and I sometimes like to be invisible. I just put sunglasses on. I have ash-blond eyebrows, and a little scar on one that makes the brow incomplete, and also I overplucked in high school, and now my brows are too thin, so if I want to have a complete look, I need a little pencil or cake and brush.

I really like dark raisin, and maroon, and those are colors I have worn on my lips too. I think I can pull it off, but not as easily as when I had dark hair. I am about to get some layers cut in my hair, and some of the darker parts will show through, so maybe that will change my makeup choices.
I am getting more into brown, but more in my dress.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
Like Amber, my lashes are pretty much my only facial assett. (omg, I just forgot how to spell asset - asett - ass...forget it.) I used to buy Clinique, but I just don't want to spend the cash anymore, especially since my skin never looks good no matter what I use. The one product I really liked was their cream foundation.

You see, I have terribly oily skin, with uneven coloring & huge pores. HUGE pores - esp. on my cheeks right next to my nose. Anything I use must be oil free & non-comodegenic (or whatever the words is.) I don't break out that often anymore, but when I do they're big & painful & gross. And it's usually on my upper lip or jawline - real attractive. Anyway.
What the hell are you talking about?! I thought you had totally nice skin! I know that is coming from me, and everyone has better skin, but I mean besides that I thought your skin was nice. And I didn't see any huge pore problems. Also, you have really pretty green eyes. Also, you have nice hair. What the hell? Not that there is anything wrong with your other features, either.

Quote:
*Wash face with Purpose bar soap. My brother's dermatologist recommended it to him years ago (he had terrible acne, way worse than mine ever was) and I've used it since. Cheap, and it works, not too drying.

*Apply Purpose moisturizing lotion w/SPF 15. Not as cheap, but it lasts me a while

*Trim, tweeze & shape bushy brows as needed
I think you should let your eyebrows grow out a little bit wider.

Quote:
* Apply foundation. Right now, it's Cover Girl or some other cheap brand. Doesn't cover ****. It's OK & I don't break out. I got annoyed spending so much trying out products that I just settled. I think I will try that one Dee's using though. My issue is that my oily skin seems to literally eat away at my makeup during the day, so you can't tell I'm wearing any - and not in a good way.

*Cheeks - I cannot apply blush correctly. Powders don't last on my skin, and I love gel or cream blushes, but I just can't seem to apply it in the right area. I try for the "apples of my cheeks" and look like a clown. I ease up & put on less next time, and you can't even see it. Lately, I've just lightly circled my cheeks with a big fat round brush & some peachy powdered blush. The hell with it.

*Eyes - neutral shadow for work/every day, don't care much about the brand. Using Clinique freebie right now. I like browns. If I'm whoring it up, I love a deep violet (kickass with my green eyes) or smokey gray. I always get creases no matter what I've tried. I always wear black liner, not much on the bottom though - Maybeline or something similar. Again, heavier if I'm going out. My lashes are long & pretty dark, so I only use mascara at night. Right now, I think I'm using a Clinique freebie. Makes me realize that it's probably too old & I need a new one.

* Lips - I have never, ever, ever found a good lipstick that stay on & doesn't dry out my lips. Ever. Clinique feels great & I love their colors, but it doesn't last. I've tried several "color stay " or "long last" products, but they dry out my lips too badly. So lately, it's been cherry Chapstick. I found some cheap (Rimmel?) lipstick that I put on if going out.

Wow. I really paint a pretty picture of myself in that description, huh? I guess my deal is that I love makeup, but I'm annoyed with the fact that nothing makes me look so good that I can rationalize spending the money on it. Poor me.
I have nothing to say about the rest of this, except maybe tinted gloss is the way for you to go. I can make several million recommendations. And if you want something cheap, cheap, cheap, bonne bell Dr. Pepper is awesome. Shiny, ever so very slightly tinted - seriously.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 09-01-2006, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I forgot to mention how much I love this stuff for cheeks and lips:
http://benefitcosmetics.com/gp/produ...1&bcBrand=core
it might be the answer to your blush problems.

I always get those darn creases from eyeshadow too, and I was told to put some sort of foundation on my lids. I guess I have greasy eyelids—doesn't that sound pretty?
For lips, have you tried using a pencil to fill in all over your lips, and then just putting lip balm over?
Old 09-01-2006, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
I think it is really good, but I didn't buy it. If I were spending my money, I would get some Renova, instead, or just use Porcelana (with all that lard, or vaseline in it) which has the same base ingredient (hydroquinone) as the Obagi lightener does.
True. But there were a whole line of products to use in tandem at my estheticians. I didn't really need all that, though, I guess. Like you said, a bit of hydroquinone...

Quote:
Looky here
They use really good ingredients, and there are so many weird cancer-causing agents, and toxins in makeup, usually. I like the powder and the foundation and the mascara. The stuff is pricey, though. I use makeup so sparingly, that it seems ok to spend the money. I have a basket of makeup with items from a decade ago. The only things that I don't keep are lipstick (goes rancid) and mascara, and of course I toss things that just look like they have gone wrong.
Burt's bees lipstick doesn't have very saturated hues, but that might be because they are avoiding the questionable pigments—don't know.
Dr. Hauschka's is cool! There are three treatment centers right near me, and the products are sold in my Whole Foods. Now I remember seeing the name. I think the products are out of my price range, but I might try some. Yeah, Burts Bees wasn't very pigmented, but the darkest one was still too light.

Quote:
My eyes are deep blue, sort of in the grey range. I don't think the corals and oranges look so good with my skin tone, though they look nice with my hair color. I don't always use dark lip colors, sometimes I use a sort of tawny color, almost nude. I like that too.

The cool thing about olive skin is that you really don't need makeup. It isn't that I can look really good without makeup, in fact, I am sure I often look washed-out, esp. my eyes. It is just that I can't be bothered, and I sometimes like to be invisible. I just put sunglasses on. I have ash-blond eyebrows, and a little scar on one that makes the brow incomplete, and also I overplucked in high school, and now my brows are too thin, so if I want to have a complete look, I need a little pencil or cake and brush.
I didn't know you had Olive skin! I see what you are saying. I often don't wear it either. I look plain then, but not so bad.

Quote:
I really like dark raisin, and maroon, and those are colors I have worn on my lips too. I think I can pull it off, but not as easily as when I had dark hair. I am about to get some layers cut in my hair, and some of the darker parts will show through, so maybe that will change my makeup choices.
I am getting more into brown, but more in my dress.
Those colors look good on most people's lips. I guess better with dark.
Yes, blondes in brown clothing is awesome.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 09-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
oh DO it! It's been an amazing product thus far - in fact I was just in the bathroom washing my hands and I had to admire how soft and un-oily my face looks

It's a bit pricier though - between 10-11 bucks - and I mean pricier than some of the cover girl products...

But it's great - my oil used to eat away the makeup as well - or at least react with it and make my skin look all nasty - I've been thrilled beyond words with this...

And it's not 21 bucks like the Clinique stuff was...of course now I'm pissed that I have a half of a 21 dollar foundation unused...I hate being wasteful - but oh well - I hate looking nasty even more
Old 09-01-2006, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
True. But there were a whole line of products to use in tandem at my estheticians. I didn't really need all that, though, I guess. Like you said, a bit of hydroquinone...

I didn't know you had Olive skin! I see what you are saying. I often don't wear it either. I look plain then, but not so bad.
Wait, no, I def. don't have olive skin. I meant you. I was thinking that if you have olive skin, and long, dark lashes, you have natural "makeup"

I just went and looked at the Obagi, and the other ingredient that is in the skin lightener is vitamin C. Jason, has some nice vitamin c skin brighteners, and I think they sell those at Whole Foods.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wait, no, I def. don't have olive skin. I meant you. I was thinking that if you have olive skin, and long, dark lashes, you have natural "makeup"

I just went and looked at the Obagi, and the other ingredient that is in the skin lightener is vitamin C. Jason, has some nice vitamin c skin brighteners, and I think they sell those at Whole Foods.
Oh, no. I mean, kinda, but not really. Also, my lashes are long, but very thin, which is why mascara is so important. So, no, you can't really see my lashes with no makeup. That is why I say I look really plain without makeup.
That is the only other ingredient, vitamin C? Oh, only for the one Obagi product you have, though.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of Jason, but I can't remember why. I haven't really tried it, though. I think it's some of the ingredients, but I can't quite remember. Maybe I just made it up.

Old 09-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh, no. I mean, kinda, but not really. Also, my lashes are long, but very thin, which is why mascara is so important. So, no, you can't really see my lashes with no makeup. That is why I say I look really plain without makeup.
That is the only other ingredient, vitamin C? Oh, only for the one Obagi product you have, though.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of Jason, but I can't remember why. I haven't really tried it, though. I think it's some of the ingredients, but I can't quite remember. Maybe I just made it up.
Those are the main ingredients in their clarifiying serum, and then the creams have a bunch of other stuff too. They don't actually tell you what is in their patented C complex.
That esthetician should have some samples to give, if she wants to sell some.
Ok, going to get my hair cut now...nervous
I love makeup, and will check the thread later!
Old 09-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Amber - I think your skin tone is very pretty!

save the cheerleader - save the world