The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Holy sheet .thats a big one.I just got nailed 15 minutes ago with a small white brown colored one on my right elbow.Iwill see what will happen with the dose it gave me.I do have those big spiders crawing around in the backyard by the stream.one like that photo I seen last summer in my shed.I swoosh him out.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 04-08-2011, 01:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteShangriLa View Post
biggest spider i ever came across was in my bed. it was around halloween time. my partner thought i put one of those big plastic spiders on the bed to scare him. he went to grab it and it moved...so he screamed!!! lol. i had to kill it with a shoe. as you can see, its body is about the same length as a quarter.. eeeew!!!

Photobucket

Only quarter sized? Pffft you should see some down here in Florida.

What I most commonly see (esp. now that Spring and Summer are here) are huge, fat, furry wolf spiders and boy they're nothing you want under your covers at night. You have to do the nightly shaking and checking of your bed down here for unwanted sleepmates.

I haven't seen a Banana spider yet this year but as frightening as they look, they really keep to themselves and don't bother you if left alone, which I do. They're fascinating to look at really. I have heard their webs are nothing you want to accidentally walk into and they are known to trap small birds in them.

I had never seen a spiny spider like this in Ohio ever but they're all over down here in Florida. I have one that made it's web in the corner of the lanai out back and it never bothers anyone so I just leave it there. I think things crawl under the lanai screen door sometimes and get in. I try not to kill anything unless it becomes bothersome and some tiny spider in the corner is a good thing to have down here I think to trap the occasional mosquito or something if they get in. So I leave them be if they leave me. If something gets in my house, that's a different story.

Louie's from the South, he may be used to spiders and critters too lol. It just comes with the territory down here.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fringed n fab View Post
I haven't seen a Banana spider yet this year but as frightening as they look, they really keep to themselves and don't bother you if left alone, which I do. They're fascinating to look at really. I have heard their webs are nothing you want to accidentally walk into and they are known to trap small birds in them.

Louie's from the South, he may be used to spiders and critters too lol. It just comes with the territory down here.
Oh holy crap, I just started itching all over looking at that thing! I remember reading in an Anne Rice book about banana spiders, but I had no idea they were so HUGE! And we have d@mned big bugs down here ourselves. This is a Texas centipede... I had one crawl into in my bed when I was young:

Old 04-08-2011, 01:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Oh holy crap, I just started itching all over looking at that thing! I remember reading in an Anne Rice book about banana spiders, but I had no idea they were so HUGE! And we have d@mned big bugs down here ourselves. This is a Texas centipede... I had one crawl into in my bed when I was young:

OMG I just passed out... I don't know what's worse, spiders or THAT thing you just posted.

Things straight out of a science fiction film.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok. I'm seriously freaking out! I HATE spiders with a passion! Is anyone else scoping out the area around them while reading these posts?!

A couple days ago my best friend (who lives with me) decided to give his pet tarantula a late snack. Instead of giving the damn thing a cricket, he decides to open up the window in my room and capture a big spider that's been nesting outside in its web. He grabbed it with some tissue paper, pulled it through the window, and then dropped it on the floor. I was screaming and jumping all around because the spider was trying to run under my bed! He finally picked it up and threw it into the clutches of the tarantula (Its cage is in the garage because it's sure as Hell not living inside).
Old 04-08-2011, 01:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Why did I click on this thread?
Old 04-08-2011, 01:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboles View Post
Is anyone else scoping out the area around them while reading these posts?!
YES! I totally caught myself doing that earlier. Just seeing that banana spider made me itch all over like I had spiders crawling all over me .

It's so good to see you post, by the way! Viv especially has been lost without you .
Old 04-08-2011, 02:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok as far as I know, we don't have to worry about tarantulas in FL but I saw where AZ has them. I don't see how people even keep them as pets.

::shivers::
Old 04-08-2011, 02:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I hate spiders too! Luckily the only big ones I ever see are tarantulas and those are usually in the middle of the night crossing dirt roads, but never in my house. When I was a kid tho, we used to get black widows EVERYWHERE around our house. My and my sister would go play in the backyard and find black widows in our toys all the time and kill them. I'm surprised they never killed us.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by APerfectLie View Post
I hate spiders too! Luckily the only big ones I ever see are tarantulas and those are usually in the middle of the night crossing dirt roads, but never in my house. When I was a kid tho, we used to get black widows EVERYWHERE around our house. My and my sister would go play in the backyard and find black widows in our toys all the time and kill them. I'm surprised they never killed us.
Geez black widows are no joke to have around. That calls for professional spraying if you find you have them in numbers around your house.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
OMG I just passed out... I don't know what's worse, spiders or THAT thing you just posted.

Things straight out of a science fiction film.
Me too. I can't believe I am the one to revive this thread, considering my fear.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This thread is the stuff of nightmares - but I gravitate towards it
Old 04-08-2011, 05:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Make it STOP

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr

Last edited by ButterCookie; 04-08-2011 at 05:26 AM..
Old 04-08-2011, 06:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

We had banana spiders all over where I grew up. I used to save them some of my supper as a kid... they weren't interested.

I came across another kind a few times as a kid, not sure what it was, but it might be that wolf spider you mentioned. The first time I saw one was pretty memorable. We had an elderly neighbour who'd payed me and my older brother and sister to clear out a huge pile of bricks that had been sitting in his back yard for about twenty years. We came across lots of creatures that day; loads of garter snakes, salamanders and one cottonmouth but this thing freaked me out more than anything I'd ever seen. I had taken my gloves off because they were too big, so the first brick I lift naturally has a monster spider under it
Anyway, I climbed to the top of the pile and as soon as I touched the brick something furry grabbed my hand, so I fell backwards out of shock right into the wheel barrow. The spider crawled onto the top of the pile and that's when we saw that its rear abdomen was COVERED IN SPIDER BABIES! I'm talking easily a hundred. Blegh.

My sister ran away screaming, but my brother decided to attack with the hand shovel and he smashed it... but it was a windy day out.. and large portion of the babies took to the air. Turns out my sister had the right idea, because we both got covered in baby spiders. Thankfully there was a coulee nearby(we immediately jumped in it) and we didn't get bit somehow, but I still get chills when I remember that.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The female wolf spiders carry their babies for so long on their backs. A hefty looking one was on the outside of the lanai screen one morning last Summer and was carrying around it's egg sac underneath which is what those spiders do. They carry it everywhere. But I wanted it off the screen and away from the house so I went and got a shovel and carefully scooped it up and it was more interested in holding onto those babies than me trying to scoop it up but I eventually got ahold of it in the shovel and took it over into the scrub next door and gently dumped it on a tree limb and it scurried away. I try not to kill things unless they're actually harming me or a danger once they're in my house or something. Like I said, that's another story once they're inside my house.